we have had best resturants but whats your favorite beer?

davetrout

On 12/31/2016 at 8:44 AM, impulse said:

It's been almost 30 years for me, but I recall the best beer was free beer.

Beyond that, everything else is snobbery.  Just like coffee.  It's a delivery system for the active ingredient.

if you think that , what about the wine drinkers, their in a league of their own for snobbery.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old formula Chang was my favorite Thai beer. 6.4% alcohol, a full flavored and bitter brew that was the perfect compliment to spicy Thai food. Cheap too! Sadly the formula was changed a few years ago and now sucks, just like all the other Thai beers. 

Beer Lao, Beer Lao Dark and San Miguel Dark...if you can find it...are all much better choices. :thumbsup:

What year did it change? I seem to remember it tasting good in the late 90s.. but everything tasted good on that first trip

51 minutes ago, Cook my sock said:

What year did it change? I seem to remember it tasting good in the late 90s.. but everything tasted good on that first trip

Only changed in mid-2015. Same time they halted production of the other Chang flavors... Draught, Export and Light. :sad:

OK, my favorite beer in descending order:
Kilkenny - expensive in BKK but an infrequent treat when I am in town.

Beer Lao Gold - not available anywhere in Thailand as far as I am aware. Drink when I visit Lao and bring a few bottles back for special treat.

Beer Chang - must be ice cold 

The rest of the local beers are not worth opening 

I drink Asahi or if that isn't available then Beer Lao lager (not the horrid dark stuff).

Asahi is being promoted heavily in Bangkok (I guess they are trying to get market share) so it is being offered for 100++ THB a pint all night every night in one of the places I frequent.  

Beer Lao in small bottles for 150 seems expensive after drinking pints of Asahi for 117 baht

If someone thinks that craft beer is a fad maybe they aren't paying attention. If not that then a my dear departed mum would have said "all your taste is in your mouth". I discovered the pleasures of a good IPA, stout, pale ale and others about 30 years ago in the micro-brew capital of the world - Portland Oregon. Now, one can find a GOOD beer in almost any part of the US. Bud, Miller, etc, can go suck an egg. Many thanks for the Wishbeer link. Also thanks for the update on the history of Chang which used to be my first choice here in the beer armpit of the world. That explains why I do not like it anymore and switched to Lao that came along just in time. When I was 19 - a lonnnng time ago, I worked at Pabst Brewery and discovered the joy of a fresh cold beer right from the production line before it went to be pasteurized. I still really like a good cold Pacifico with my tacos when not here. Breakside IPA is my all time favorite, from Portland. You can buy a case of Full Sail at the brewery in Hood River Oregon for $24. Did I mention Thanks for the wishbeer link? A few years back my friend from UK said about Leo; "It's like making love in a canoe, fxxking close to water"

34 minutes ago, captnhoy said:

If someone thinks that craft beer is a fad maybe they aren't paying attention. If not that then a my dear departed mum would have said "all your taste is in your mouth". I discovered the pleasures of a good IPA, stout, pale ale and others about 30 years ago in the micro-brew capital of the world - Portland Oregon. Now, one can find a GOOD beer in almost any part of the US. Bud, Miller, etc, can go suck an egg. Many thanks for the Wishbeer link. Also thanks for the update on the history of Chang which used to be my first choice here in the beer armpit of the world. That explains why I do not like it anymore and switched to Lao that came along just in time. When I was 19 - a lonnnng time ago, I worked at Pabst Brewery and discovered the joy of a fresh cold beer right from the production line before it went to be pasteurized. I still really like a good cold Pacifico with my tacos when not here. Breakside IPA is my all time favorite, from Portland. You can buy a case of Full Sail at the brewery in Hood River Oregon for $24. Did I mention Thanks for the wishbeer link? A few years back my friend from UK said about Leo; "It's like making love in a canoe, fxxking close to water"

I wish craft beer was a fad.   

Here in Bangkok craft beer is ridiculously expensive, not to mention it (mostly) tastes like old socks.    I'd rather drink 3 pints of Asahi than one small bottle of "old man's socks".

I do agree with your friend's comment on Leo, that stuff is rubbish.

A decent commercial lager such as Asahi, Beer Lao, Stella or even Heineken is good.   Clean, cold and without some horrid bitter after taste.

There are a couple of good craft beer bars in BK - Mikkeller in ekkamai and Let the boy die (youngish crowd, near Chinatown). Of course not cheap, but the brews are really good.
And try Ekamai Beer House, a good choice of brews and they do a happy hour. A very popular place for groups of young ladies after work..

21 hours ago, captnhoy said:

A few years back my friend from UK said about Leo; "It's like making love in a canoe, fxxking close to water"

Anyone who thinks that a 5% abv beer is "close to water" is obviously not worth listening to. Likewise anyone who criticizes  or praises one Thai beer compared to the rest is just spouting for the joy of hearing his own voice. They are all made from rice and all OK as long as they are cold. Not saying they are particularly good or bad, just drinkable lager-type beers.

Edited by rott

On 1/2/2017 at 3:25 AM, sanemax said:

I still have one of the old style Changs left , saving for my last day here, when ever that will be

Unfortunately, looks like u have the crappy new formula beer...5.5% alcohol...In the old style bottle, before they transitioned to the green bottle. The outstanding original Chang brew was in a similar bottle, but did not have Classic on the label and was 6.4% alcohol. Too bad...:coffee1:

19 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

Drink a Beer Lao and then drink a Chang or Leo.
No comparison.

I do not know anyone who would disagree with that, But where I drink a large Leo, Chang, Singha etc is 70 to 80 baht, a small Beer Lao is 80.

I do occasionally finish off with a Beer Lao Dark, lovely stuff.

2 hours ago, rott said:

I do not know anyone who would disagree with that, But where I drink a large Leo, Chang, Singha etc is 70 to 80 baht, a small Beer Lao is 80.

I do occasionally finish off with a Beer Lao Dark, lovely stuff.

Must suck to have to drink beer based on the price. 

On 1/2/2017 at 8:48 AM, ThaiWai said:

I was referring to it being cold, bitter and weak actually.

She is unusual if she makes cold, bitter and weak coffee if she is Thai.

All the street coffee vendors make it like I said, and many Thai restaurants (not Hi-So ones) do the same. Granted the Thai coffee beans are bitter, but they put mountains of sugar in it.

My farther was a coffee snob, but I can't be bothered, and the "Coffee Shops"  like Costa-lota-bucks are a plain and simple rip off.

Now since the topic is beer if you want to talk about it, I'd be happy to give you my opinion, but everyone was different taste buds...

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback
typo

4 hours ago, seancbk said:

Most of the world seem to do it. I would not reasonably describe drinking a beer that is half the price of an alternative as having to "drink beer based on price". Sounds a bit supercilious and sanctimonious to me. Have you found out when high season starts yet?

Just now, rott said:
4 hours ago, seancbk said:

Most of the world seem to do it. I would not reasonably describe drinking a beer that is half the price of an alternative as having to "drink beer based on price". Sounds a bit supercilious and sanctimonious to me. Have you found out when high season starts yet?

Drinking beer that is half price because you can't afford the one you would prefer to drink is what I mean.  If you like the cheaper beer then great, but if you are drinking the cheap one because that is all you can afford then that must suck.    

What do you mean have I found out when high season is yet?   High or low season it's all pretty much the same for me and my friends here in Bangkok.

5 hours ago, seancbk said:

I choose by taste of course, but the fact is most imported beers are expensive if you compare the tastes. Larger really doesn't have a strong flavour if you have spent a lifetime drinking "Real Ale" before you got here.

It has it's extremes though, but any larger is more refreshing in a hot climate than ale is.  I tried Tiger Lite for the 1st time this week, really watery, with little flavour at all.

These "Craft Beers" are just another marketing trick to get the kids to drink something fashionable that they can overcharge for, much like the coffee houses do.

All the is overpriced is not necessarily the best....

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback
typo

On 02/01/2017 at 10:25 AM, sanemax said:

I still have one of the old style Changs left , saving for my last day here, when ever that will be

SAM_3647.JPG

I fear that unless you are leaving next week, your Chang won't be worth drinking. Beer has a limited shelf life, usually six months to a year max (depending on storage conditions) unless it's a particularly special brew like some of the Trappist beers, and even those don't last that long. The 'sell-by' date on beer is usually pretty accurate, sadly.

On 1/4/2017 at 10:16 PM, seancbk said:

Drinking beer that is half price because you can't afford the one you would prefer to drink is what I mean.  If you like the cheaper beer then great, but if you are drinking the cheap one because that is all you can afford then that must suck.    

What do you mean have I found out when high season is yet?   High or low season it's all pretty much the same for me and my friends here in Bangkok.

Did I say I drank my usual beer because i cannot afford the one I prefer.?  No.  I drink the one i drink because that is the one I like to drink most of the time. Other times I drink others.