Big Bike driver dead after collision with mini van in Bang Len

webfact

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, farcanell said:

Right there is the problem.... "just accept it..."

if thailand would just STOP accepting it, then things may change.... this is probably the first and most important step that is required to stop the carnage

I was talking about accepting the fact not arguing ad infinitum about this particular case, which in the overall scheme is insignificant. 

Thailand needs a lot more than "not accepting it" to sort out such a major problem ..

Ride anything on two wheels in Thailand and it's just a matter of time before you end up in hospital. Just look at the road death and accident figures for motorcyclists.

I was an inveterate biker in my homeland for 40  years and reckoned that if I road "defensively" in Thailand I would be OK. It took three accidents (none caused by me and all resulting in injuries needing hospital treatment) before the penny dropped that it was just a matter of time before I joined the ranks of dead and injured.

Investing in four wheels here doesn't come cheap - but better broke than broken.

Larger vehicle cutting off smaller vehicle.  Defacto right-of-way in the Land of Stupid-driving.  My guess is that thousands of motorcycle riders are killed in U-turn accidents where cars/trucks/vans simple ignore the oncoming motorcyclist and turn in front of them.  The 'big bikes' I see on Highway 11 south of Chiang Mai with increasing frequency generally are travelling at speeds that simply don't allow for mistakes, like some idiot pulling a U-turn directly in front of them. 
Second Most Dangerous Roads in the World: Wear the badge of honor with pride Thailand. 

Edited by connda

1 hour ago, connda said:

Larger vehicle cutting off smaller vehicle.  Defacto right-of-way in the Land of Stupid-driving.  My guess is that thousands of motorcycle riders are killed in U-turn accidents where cars/trucks/vans simple ignore the oncoming motorcyclist and turn in front of them.  The 'big bikes' I see on Highway 11 south of Chiang Mai with increasing frequency generally are travelling at speeds that simply don't allow for mistakes, like some idiot pulling a U-turn directly in front of them. 
Second Most Dangerous Roads in the World: Wear the badge of honor with pride Thailand. 

The 'big bikes' I see on Highway 11 south of Chiang Mai with increasing frequency generally are travelling at speeds that simply don't allow for mistakes, like some idiot pulling a U-turn directly in front of them. 

You are absolutely right. Big bikes will be cruising at between 110 - 140 (if not more) on such stretches. That's why I always slow down and start moving over to the left whenever I am coming up to a U-turn. 

4 hours ago, Mark T said:

Any chance the top guy might take a small amount of interest in this one and perhaps make some meaningful comment about sorting out the slaughter on the roads in Thailand  - no didn't think so - just wishful thinking again.

On 1/2/2017 at 3:32 PM, Happy Grumpy said:

Bike rider wasn't in the left hand lane.

should he undertake everything? also  usually  full of lorries jousting for position or after dark  all in the outside  lane ignoring any "keep left"  rules

I think the whole u turn thing on major roads is plain asking for trouble I would like to see the statistics for accidents at u turns. When I approach any sort of u turn I try to be in the furthest lane away but even then you get people u turning into the furthest lane which is a recipe for disaster why not u turn then make your way back to the lane you want to be in.

I ride big bikes myself and have done for decades experience is priceless when riding big bikes over here, you see a u turn coming up and slow down a bit so even if you do hit something your not going to kill yourself. As for minivan drivers the majority of them shouldn't be anywhere near a vehicle let alone driving them, the ones going too fast I get out of there way and let them go the ones going too slow I try and get around them as soon as possible as they are so unpredictable and I have no idea what there going to do next.

This accident in my opinion seems to be the fault of the minivan driver he did a u turn across on coming traffic which again in my opinion happens all the time, however the big bike rider also has some blame as he was going too fast to avoid a fatal collision, but if the dreaded u turn wasn't there then this wouldn't have happened.

11 minutes ago, zd1 said:

I think the whole u turn thing on major roads is plain asking for trouble I would like to see the statistics for accidents at u turns. When I approach any sort of u turn I try to be in the furthest lane away but even then you get people u turning into the furthest lane which is a recipe for disaster why not u turn then make your way back to the lane you want to be in.

I ride big bikes myself and have done for decades experience is priceless when riding big bikes over here, you see a u turn coming up and slow down a bit so even if you do hit something your not going to kill yourself. As for minivan drivers the majority of them shouldn't be anywhere near a vehicle let alone driving them, the ones going too fast I get out of there way and let them go the ones going too slow I try and get around them as soon as possible as they are so unpredictable and I have no idea what there going to do next.

This accident in my opinion seems to be the fault of the minivan driver he did a u turn across on coming traffic which again in my opinion happens all the time, however the big bike rider also has some blame as he was going too fast to avoid a fatal collision, but if the dreaded u turn wasn't there then this wouldn't have happened.

And if one of them had stayed at home it wouldn't have happened either.  

2 minutes ago, zd1 said:

Would you care to expand on that comment?

A stupid comment mirroring your comment re if no u turn etc. The u turn was there along with thousands of others in Thailand usually reasonably sign posted - so expect vehicles to be using them. That's not saying I agree with the way u turns are placed or used.

On 1/2/2017 at 6:44 PM, Gweiloman said:

When on a major highway, I will ALWAYS pass a car going at 100 kph, preferably on the right but on the left too if necessary. That's because it would be suicidal for me to stay behind you at 100 kph. 

All that I (and other big bike riders) ask of you is to not make any unnecessary or sudden lane changes. Check, double check and triple check your rearview mirror and both left and right side mirrors before changing lanes. And oh, indicating your intentions with the indicators helps too.

Im no big bike rider so I dont understand why it would be suicidal to stay behind a car at 100kph. 100kph is above the speed limit or not?

On 1/2/2017 at 10:25 PM, Elkski said:

No one says the obvious.... These U turns are a stupid road designed for  death.  I mean turning from a fast lane to a fast lane is asinine. 

With no space between opposing traffic for even one car to wait in much less a truck or van sized car.. So the guy doing the u turn is worried about being rear ended so he sticks his nose out more on the other side.  I say they need to start building 200 elevated vehicle u turn  and pedestrian cross over bridge systems per year for the next 5o years.

Or everyone needs to stop speeding. Just because its a fast lane doesnt mean you can drive faster than 90kph or whatever the speed limit is.

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

A stupid comment mirroring your comment re if no u turn etc. The u turn was there along with thousands of others in Thailand usually reasonably sign posted - so expect vehicles to be using them. That's not saying I agree with the way u turns are placed or used.

Fella u turns on fast roads is a recipe for disaster coupled with people who drive with no basic rules of the road.

I agree that they are sign posted but u turning into what would normally be a fast lane causes more confusion about what lane to be in when approaching the u turn, i'm not rocket scientist but it could be a reason behind rapid lane changes,

I drive here and when approaching u turns I do so with caution, I not an advocate of more traffic lights but there must be a better more safer way to change direction than u turns which here they are often badly placed and often badly used.

I would still like to see the statistics on accidents near u turns.

10 hours ago, hobz said:

Im no big bike rider so I dont understand why it would be suicidal to stay behind a car at 100kph. 100kph is above the speed limit or not?

Speed limits work and should be observed when driving in countries where motorists are properly qualified to be in control of a vehicle. However, this is not so in Thailand where over 80% of the motorists would be pulled over by patrolling cops in a first world country for one infraction or another.

This accident is one such example. The bike was behind the minivan, the minivan pulls a sharp right to make a U-turn, directly into the path of the bike.

By staying at 100 kph behind another vehicle, in no time you will have buses, minivans, pickups etc barreling down your back. On another thread, one poster commented that in his home country, they are taught to ride at the speed of the traffic. Don't ever do that in Thailand. Always either stay ahead of the traffic or fall back into a safe zone behind them if it's too fast for your comfort zone.

10 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Speed limits work and should be observed when driving in countries where motorists are properly qualified to be in control of a vehicle. However, this is not so in Thailand where over 80% of the motorists would be pulled over by patrolling cops in a first world country for one infraction or another.

This accident is one such example. The bike was behind the minivan, the minivan pulls a sharp right to make a U-turn, directly into the path of the bike.

By staying at 100 kph behind another vehicle, in no time you will have buses, minivans, pickups etc barreling down your back. On another thread, one poster commented that in his home country, they are taught to ride at the speed of the traffic. Don't ever do that in Thailand. Always either stay ahead of the traffic or fall back into a safe zone behind them if it's too fast for your comfort zone.

So that leaves only the slow and "safe" option for me.. Going over 100kph is way too scary for me.

13 hours ago, hobz said:

So that leaves only the slow and "safe" option for me.. Going over 100kph is way too scary for me.

Absolute speed in itself means nothing. It all depends on the conditions - road surface, traffic, rural roads, highway etc

Rural roads through moobans, generally nothing faster than 60-80 kph. Dual carriageways or bigger, no way am I staying below 100 kph unless traffic conditions dictate otherwise. Don't want to get rear ended by idiot drivers.

4 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Absolute speed in itself means nothing. It all depends on the conditions - road surface, traffic, rural roads, highway etc

Rural roads through moobans, generally nothing faster than 60-80 kph. Dual carriageways or bigger, no way am I staying below 100 kph unless traffic conditions dictate otherwise. Don't want to get rear ended by idiot drivers.

I havent driven the big roads between cities etc so i cant speak for that, but on the highways surrounding chiang mai i always felt like it was safest staying on the left around 50-60kph and keeping a good eye in the rear view and a good eye in front "lots of obstacles on the left lane..".

The downsides are as you say: fear of getting rear ended, specially if i need to make a right turn on these horribly planned roads.

Another downside is all the obstacles on the left lane.. Parked cars, taxis picking up people suddenly. Debris, sand. Whatever.

But driving fast leaves less time for reacting, it also increases the danger of any accident. Plus im driving a honda click 125cc, its not going much over 100kph even if i want to :)

16 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I drive 80kph if the road is completely empty and good quality.

If you drive over 100kph and there is a pothole and at the same time you are taken over recklessly by a minivan,, what do you do? There is no time to think, there is no time to react,,.. Obviously you are here to tell the tale so i genuinly wonder how you survive shit like that? Or are you saying you dont encounter potholes and reckless drivers? I for sure do...

46 minutes ago, hobz said:

If you drive over 100kph and there is a pothole and at the same time you are taken over recklessly by a minivan,, what do you do? There is no time to think, there is no time to react,,.. Obviously you are here to tell the tale so i genuinly wonder how you survive shit like that? Or are you saying you dont encounter potholes and reckless drivers? I for sure do...

That's exactly the point. One needs to consider the conditions in order to determine the safe riding speed. If a road is pot-holey and there are other vehicles wanting to go faster, then let them pass. If a road is in generally good condition, then best to get ahead and leave the hazards behind.

And there in lies the benefits of having a bigger bike....Being able to accelerate away from the 'crap' as I would put it.

In the past I've seen nasty situations develop and fortunately was able to get away from it before it really turned to <deleted>.  Even managed to escape a 4 wheel drive prick who had locked up all wheels....that was a close one. I always check the mirrors even when waiting at a red light.

Reminds me of a joke on another forum re the Thai licence theory test: 

Question 1.  What colour is a red songthew?

Answer: If you replied anything but Red do not worry. You will still get your licence but it will be endorsed that you are colour blind.

Seems about right for Thailand.

1 hour ago, hobz said:

100kph is nothing for a big bike it is around 60mph and my old 900 hornet could get to that speed from 0mph in just under 3 seconds.

There is a big difference between big bikes and mopeds that you ride like a Honda click, the stability and handling are vastly superior.

I have ridden big bikes for over 30 years and agree with what Gweiloman says as he sounds like he has had a good bit of experience himself. In the end of the day the reason we survive is through experience and ability to read the road conditions and driving or riding in Thailand it isn't just what is in front of you but also what is behind or at the sides of you for instance if I see one of the homicidal mini vans catching me up at speed I put myself in the lane that I don't think he will use basically staying out of his way.

So I second what Gweiloman says either keep the hazards far behind you or let the hazards pass.