Big Bike driver dead after collision with mini van in Bang Len

webfact

2 hours ago, hobz said:

I drive 80kph if the road is completely empty and good quality.

If you drive over 100kph and there is a pothole and at the same time you are taken over recklessly by a minivan,, what do you do? There is no time to think, there is no time to react,,.. Obviously you are here to tell the tale so i genuinly wonder how you survive shit like that? Or are you saying you dont encounter potholes and reckless drivers? I for sure do...

hobz, not sure if you ride a big bike or not or whether you have ever ridden one but like zd1 mentioned, there is a vast difference in handling and stability compared to scooters and mopeds.

If you like, take a look at this video 

It's boring so don't watch it all but the first two minutes hopefully illustrates what I'm trying to say.

At 0:38, I probably could have overtaken the pick up but I didn't have much momentum and being two up with fully loaded panniers and top box, my (only) 60hp bike doesn't have much torque. Also, the parked cement truck on the side of the road indicated a potential hazard.

When I did overtake at the one minute mark, I had seen the SUV coming but I had the big truck covering (protecting) me. 

At 1:15, I had sufficient momentum to pass the truck quickly and I was also sitting high up on my bike to see sufficiently ahead, even slightly over the crest.

From then on, you can see what zd1 means by greater handling and stability.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even watching that makes me miss my bike, but it was prohibitively expensive to bring it with me.

I will be getting one soon as I really don't like mopeds I find the lack of power and acceleration dangerous, not to mention the tiny tyres and shot head race bearings that seem standard over here.

Edited by zd1

On 1/2/2017 at 1:24 PM, tracker1 said:

My observation is Mini bus driver at fault !

Big observation on the known, published facts.

I know of a very similar incident not far from my home in Australia where a mini bus was dong a U turn, across double lines, an illegal U turn.

A minibus driver was doing a U turn, and a motorcycle went into the side, killing the motorcyclist.  All the bus driver was charged with was an making an illegal turn, and the reason was that eye witness accounts, from drivers of vehicles the motorcyclist had passed immediately prior, were that the motorcyclist was traveling at 120+ km/hr........in an 80 zone!!   The bus driver had looked, saw the motorcycle, assumed he was doing 80, so had plenty of time to make the turn.   IF the motorcyclist had been traveling at no more than the limit, there would have been no collision, and in any event, would have been able to stop. 

We predicate what we do on the road on the assumption that what others are doing is the 'right' thing. 

My guess is that the motorcyclist was traveling way too fast, but let's wait for the investigation to be completed.

Edited by F4UCorsair
addition