Transfer retirement extension to new passport

sonos99

I have just received a new passport by mail. Presumably I need to go to Phuket Town immigration to have my retirement extension / permit to stay transferred to my new passport.

If anyone has done this recently I'd be grateful if you could provide me with the requirements - what copies are required etc. 

Thanks and regards 

Easy to do. Did it last week.

Phuket Immigration with old and new passport and re-entry card. Go to the immigration helpers to get the form. Then get a (one) photocopy of every retirement visa you have in the old passport along with the passport identification page of both passports. Then go to room 103 with B500 and, assuming no line, 15 minutes later you're done.

1 minute ago, Antifreeze said:

Easy to do. Did it last week.

Phuket Immigration with old and new passport and re-entry card. Go to the immigration helpers to get the form. Then get a (one) photocopy of every retirement visa you have in the old passport along with the passport identification page of both passports. Then go to room 103 with B500 and, assuming no line, 15 minutes later you're done.

Thank you for the precise instructions. I note there is a fee of 500 Baht. Would you categorise this fee as "unreceipted yet unavoidable"?

Or, just travel with both passports until your yearly comes up, which is what Phuket Town Immigration told me to do. However they did stamp some sort of reference to the old passport. No fee.

Edited by Shot

OP, dont forget to update bank accounts opened with old passport , valid PP is required for some transactions, and your old PP number on license. Also online 90 day wont work with new PP.

54 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Thank you for the precise instructions. I note there is a fee of 500 Baht. Would you categorise this fee as "unreceipted yet unavoidable"?

No, official B500 fee. 

And to reply to another post, they did ask about a letter from my Embassy  (in BKK) indicating the passport was true and official. I did not have such. But with old passport and new passport how fake can the new one be. They processed my transfer with no further requests. 

19 minutes ago, sonos99 said:

Thanks everyone for their replies. I didn't receive any letter with my new password just a cancelation sticker to put on my old passport. 

I  will try immigration and see what they say. 

Regards 

Please post back about how it all turned out.

My UK passport expires this year. First challenge will be getting the new UK passport as they keep changing how/where an expat applies.

Interestingly when I recently applied for my 1 year extension the IO spotted my passport only had 10 months left so he only stamped by extension until the last day on passport. That's the first time over 2 new passport has the extension been date limited. Seem reasonable to me but why now ? Guess previous IOs never noticed.

when you renew a aussie passport at the consulate , once you have filled out the necessary form and paid the fee they cancel your old passport with a stamp in it where you enter the new passport number when you receive it

This passport has been cancelled and replaced with passport number--------------- any valid visa in this passport remains valid

just take both passports to immigration and they transfer all necessary details to your new passport, no fee when i did my passport 

Edited by madmax2

12 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

I remember that I had to get a letter from the embassy confirming that I had a new passport.

This was a necessity for the transfer........at least it was in 2015.

Letter confirming the passport renewal is required in case the new passport is issued in or send to you in Thailand and not used yet. (no entry stamp inside)

Some countries (like Holland) put the replacement information in the new passport and in that case the letter is not required.

If the new passport is used to get into the country (entry stamp in new passport and extension with re-entry permit in old passport) the letter is not required.

There is no fee but i have reports that the officer in room 103 is asking 500 Baht to transfer the extension.

Better to wait with the transfer until the renewal of the extension is required and do it in one go.

You can meanwhile travel with both passports.

Thank you again for your replies. 

My retirement extension needs to be renewed at the end of February so may make sense to wait until then. I have to do my 90 day at the end of January so I will see what immigration say. 

Regards 

Immigration requires an official letter from your Embassy requesting them to transfer the stamps from you old passport to your new passport. This was provided with the new passport in my case by Vfsglobal Trendy Building Bangkok who handle new passports for the UK.

Edited by Estrada
added info

When you get your visa transferred from your old passport to your new passport be certain that you also get any re-entry permit transferred.

A friend got his retirement visa transferred but immigration didn't transfer his multi-entry visa.  When he left Thailand and came back with only his new passport they would only give him a 30 day visitor's visa.  He had to apply for, and PAY for, an entirely new retirement visa and multi-entry visa. 

They did tell him at the border that if he had his old passport as well as his new one they would have honored the multi-entry visa.

- This was a free service two years ago, and probably still is.

- I did not need an extra letter.

- In spite of "advice" on TV that the transfer should be done immediately, immigration had no issue with ne being several months late. They did not even mention it.

YMMV 

There is no fee. Bring copies of the old and the new passport, as well as a letter from the embassy/consulate confirming the new passport is no fake. Takes about 3 minutes, not including queuing time.

There exists a application form for this, but it was not needed last month, when I had my visa transferred. I might have done it when I did yearly extension, but I thought it would be easier this way - and it was.

Up in the boonies, when I transferred old to new passport I just paid a tea fee, I couldn't be bothered with the heat and messing around they give you when they want something.

Having said that, they don't get the big bucks/breaks/opportunities I suppose like those fortunate to work in Pattaya, Phuket and the rest of them.

Edited by Scouse123
spell error

Is the process the same when you do not have an existing extension, but a visa issued by a Thai Embassy? My wife has just obtained a new German passport (only 4 years old, but full) from the London German embassy while we have been back in the UK for Christmas. Her old passport has a retirement visa from the Thai Embassy, also in London.  We are re-entering Thailand / Phuket mid February, and an extension has to be applied for on or before April 7th when the visa expires. Do we just do it all in one go, sometime after March 7th, or go to immigration soon after we arrive to get everything moved across to the new passport, and then apply for the extension / multientry permit at a later date?

This will be our first ever dealings with Thai immigration (other than at airports / land crossings) so we want to get it right.

Thanks to Peterw42 for the reminder regarding updating the bank account.

Thanks in advance for any constructive advice. 

On Monday, January 02, 2017 at 11:56 AM, LivinginKata said:

My UK passport expires this year. First challenge will be getting the new UK passport as they keep changing how/where an expat applies.

Please let us know what you do. Mine is up for renewal soon.

41 minutes ago, boike said:

If your passport was issued in your home country, no letter is needed. If not you need a letter from your embassy. Both cases no fee.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Hopeful you mean by "home country"; outside of Thailand, as my wife has renewed her German Passport in London. Thanks

I tried to transfer my retirement visa to my new passport in jomtien but they sent me up to udon thani to do it because that's where I got my extension last year so a long trip up to udon and back ...as I'm now living in jomtien.

They asked for 500 baht ...no receipt. ..leaches..

On 02/01/2017 at 11:26 PM, merijn said:

Letter confirming the passport renewal is required in case the new passport is issued in or send to you in Thailand and not used yet. (no entry stamp inside)

Some countries (like Holland) put the replacement information in the new passport and in that case the letter is not required.

If the new passport is used to get into the country (entry stamp in new passport and extension with re-entry permit in old passport) the letter is not required.

There is no fee but i have reports that the officer in room 103 is asking 500 Baht to transfer the extension.

Better to wait with the transfer until the renewal of the extension is required and do it in one go.

You can meanwhile travel with both passports.

That is interesting, I would have been nervous about even trying to do it that way. I presume new passport obtained outside of Thailand.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

That is interesting, I would have been nervous about even trying to do it that way. I presume new passport obtained outside of Thailand.

When the new passport is used to enter Thailand (and the entry stamp is in the new passport) it is confirmed as genuine at the border crossing and therefore no confirmation letter is required anymore.

(The new passport has to be issued outside Thailand in this case.)

12 hours ago, RandG said:

Is the process the same when you do not have an existing extension, but a visa issued by a Thai Embassy? My wife has just obtained a new German passport (only 4 years old, but full) from the London German embassy while we have been back in the UK for Christmas. Her old passport has a retirement visa from the Thai Embassy, also in London.  We are re-entering Thailand / Phuket mid February, and an extension has to be applied for on or before April 7th when the visa expires. Do we just do it all in one go, sometime after March 7th, or go to immigration soon after we arrive to get everything moved across to the new passport, and then apply for the extension / multientry permit at a later date?

This will be our first ever dealings with Thai immigration (other than at airports / land crossings) so we want to get it right.

Thanks to Peterw42 for the reminder regarding updating the bank account.

Thanks in advance for any constructive advice. 

If the visa transfer is required in order to obtain a extension then they will transfer the visa to the new passport and issue the extension at the same time.

Hopeful you mean by "home country"; outside of Thailand, as my wife has renewed her German Passport in London. Thanks

No, in this case her home country is Germany. If issued outside of Germany you'll need a letter from the embassy in Bangkok. If it was issued in Germany than no letter is needed. I've done this with a friend 3 weeks weeks ago @ Jomtiem immigration. They wanted a letter from the embassy but when I pointed out that his passport was issued in the Netherlands (not by an embassy), no letter needed and no fee.

When the new passport is used to enter Thailand (and the entry stamp is in the new passport) it is confirmed as genuine at the border crossing and therefore no confirmation letter is required anymore.
(The new passport has to be issued outside Thailand in this case.)

For the OP sake I hope you are right. My friends passport was used to enter Thailand before we went to immigration for the transfer. But at first they wanted a letter until I pointed out that it was issued in his home country.

As stated in an earlier response, it is also very simple to not transfer the Extension into the new Passport at all, simply travel with both Passports. Stamps will go in the new Passport and the Immig Official simply refers to the old Passport for the details. I did this for ten months and I had zero problems at Immig. Saves a couple of pages in the new Passport.