Netizens cry foul after woman filmed firing indiscriminately out of window to celebrate New Year

webfact

2 hours ago, farcanell said:

No... they did not.

a falling bullet can kill.... read a little further... and maybe include some non tv entertainment stuff...

but if you must quote myth busters... here's the real conclusion

IMG_3219.PNG

Um!!! It all depends on the weight of the bullet. How about this?  An empty .22lr cartridge from 30,000 feet would barely sting.  An empty from a .50BMG would most lilely kill you dead!!!   Same with bullets or anything including a ton of feathers.

21 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Um!!! It all depends on the weight of the bullet. How about this?  An empty .22lr cartridge from 30,000 feet would barely sting.  An empty from a .50BMG would most lilely kill you dead!!!   Same with bullets or anything including a ton of feathers.

I suppose a ton of feathers if compressed dense enough could kill by trauma,  or uncompressed smoother you to death.   

2 hours ago, farcanell said:

No... they did not.

a falling bullet can kill.... read a little further... and maybe include some non tv entertainment stuff...

but if you must quote myth busters... here's the real conclusion

IMG_3219.PNG

Are you trolling or are you seriously this stupid/illiterate? The conclusion says exactly what I did, namely that a bullet fired directly upwards (called a precisely vertical angle in the conclusion) will not kill you, while a bullet fired at an angle (called non-verticle angle in the conclusion) can be lethal upon impact. This is literally exactly what I wrote in my comment. Next time try to understand what you're quoting and replying to before you answer, and you might avoid looking like a fool again.

53 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

1200 fps is 1317kph.  Smomewhat different.  I cannot remember or be bothered looking up how to calculate falling object terminal speed but this falling bullet thing has been done to death in gun magazines for over 100 years.  I know which one I would rather not be hit by.

Try this:

termv.gif

On New Year’s Eve, in Highlands Park, CA (A suburb of Los Angeles), Sheriff Lee Baca warned about the dangers of shooting live ammunition into the air. A few hours later, past the stroke of midnight, a 30 year old man was struck in the head and hospitalized by bullet fragments from above. Fortunately, he survived. “A bullet fired into the air can return to earth at speeds between 300 and 700 feet per second, fast enough to pierce a person’s skull,” Baca claimed.

This was not an isolated incident. Celebratory gunfire has wounded hundreds and killed dozens in recent years in the US alone. A 50-year-old woman in Atlanta, an 11-year-old boy in Phoenix, a baby in New Orleans — deaths like these are reported and investigated every year. A young man in Fresno, CA was killed when a friend’s vertical ‘lucky shot’ went straight up and came straight back down, entering his skull. A randomly-fired bullet hit a police helicopter in Riverside, California on New Year’s Eve in 1994, striking the pilot in the foot and forcing him to make an emergency landing. In Dallas, Texas on January 1st, 2012, a bullet came through the roof of a bedroom where a woman was nursing her baby and landed next to her on her bed.

http://forensicoutreach.com/library/the-falling-bullet-myths-legends-and-terminal-velocity/

18 minutes ago, Myran said:

Are you trolling or are you seriously this stupid/illiterate? The conclusion says exactly what I did, namely that a bullet fired directly upwards (called a precisely vertical angle in the conclusion) will not kill you, while a bullet fired at an angle (called non-verticle angle in the conclusion) can be lethal upon impact. This is literally exactly what I wrote in my comment. Next time try to understand what you're quoting and replying to before you answer, and you might avoid looking like a fool again.

I would suggest that the only fool here, would be a person who thinks a falling bullet does not have the potential to kill...

as you are unable to look further than your nose, I will attach a couple of snippets from reports easily found on the web, which may provide you with a clue as to your cluelessness.

and I'm pretty sure the guy in Fresno, who fired vertically upwards, killing his mate, might disagree with you as well

IMG_3220.PNG

IMG_3221.PNG

7 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

Not too many TVF members have a AK 47. 

I have two (semi-automatic only) AK clones here in the U.S.  One Chinese and one Bulgarian. Fun gun.

If that gun was a .38 special, fired at about a 45 degree angle, it could travel up to a mile.  Hard to say offhand what the terminal velocity would be, but it could still have a significant  forward velocity, more than just a bullet coming straight down. 

Edited by Damrongsak
typo

8 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

I have two (semi-automatic only) AK clones here in the U.S.  One Chinese and one Bulgarian. Fun gun.

If that gun was a .38 special, fired at about a 45 degree angle, it could travel up to a mile.  Hard to say offhand what the terminal velocity would be, but it could still have a significant  forward velocity, more than just a bullet coming straight down. 

Two AKs.?

being from vastly different manufacturers, I'm wondering if they perform equally... what's your opinion?

7 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Two AKs.?

being from vastly different manufacturers, I'm wondering if they perform equally... what's your opinion?

I've only fired the Norinco MAK-90.  I haven't fired the forged receiver Bulgarian (Arsenal Arms).  They are AKs.  They go bang when you pull the trigger. 

karl guns.gif

6 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

I've only fired the Norinco MAK-90.  I haven't fired the forged receiver Bulgarian (Arsenal Arms).  They are AKs.  They go bang when you pull the trigger. 

karl guns.gif

Nice one... lmao!

UPDATE:

Busted! Girl who fired gun to celebrate New Year faces the chief of police

5a.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- A girl caught on video firing a gun indiscriminately from a window has been arrested by Bangkok police.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/961556-busted-girl-who-fired-gun-to-celebrate-new-year-faces-the-chief-of-police/

21 hours ago, paulbj2 said:

Several hundred people are killed by people firing indiscriminately into the air in places like Pakistan, India and the middle east. These stupid morons seem to forget that the bullet has to fall to ground somewhere. For example, a round from an AK47 attains significant altitude before it starts to fall back to earth and as it is a pointy, dense metal object, it attains considerable velocity in freefall; enough to kill or injure anyone it hits. As the trajectory looks to be low in this case, it may be more or less dangerous; it's difficult to tell without knowing what was outside the window but firing guns at anything that you are not trying to hit is crass stupidity!

Like the curate''s egg;  excellent in parts.  Ballistic physics is an Interesting and complex subject.  She was endangering lives.  End of story.

they have long had a serious problem in the Philippines with drunks firing into the air at New Year.

One of their solutions was to seal the muzzle end of all police and army service weapons with paper tape during the holiday period to deter the idiots in uniform from doing it.

This year they decided to relax the requirement - guess what happened? At least one child in a coma in hospital...

On 02/01/2017 at 5:21 PM, farcanell said:

Really?

ive seen free style skydivers accelerate to near 500kph in competition... I would think a bullet would go faster.

your last posts suggest you agree that a vertical shot, when coming downwards, is still lethal, which I am agreeing with.... I just haven't bothered doing any calculations, which would have to factor in caliber /bullet weight... muzzle velocity to determine height achieved going upwards, before calculating downward speed etc etc

perhaps you might give that a go.... in the meantime, I will maintain that a bullet discharged upwards, will land at a very fast speed.... certainly enough to kill

I did a bit of research on this and apparently a round fired absolutely vertically is not, in fact, lethal as apparently the bullet starts to tumble on the way down and that limits it's terminal velocity. The really dangerous ones are the ones fired at an angle as the spin induced by the rifling and ballistic trajectory are fully maintained and those are the rounds that regularly kill people. Having said that a round fired truly vertically will be a rarity and thus all rounds fired into the air should be considered to be potentially lethal.

23 minutes ago, paulbj2 said:

I did a bit of research on this and apparently a round fired absolutely vertically is not, in fact, lethal as apparently the bullet starts to tumble on the way down and that limits it's terminal velocity. The really dangerous ones are the ones fired at an angle as the spin induced by the rifling and ballistic trajectory are fully maintained and those are the rounds that regularly kill people. Having said that a round fired truly vertically will be a rarity and thus all rounds fired into the air should be considered to be potentially lethal.

Yep.... a bullet fired at an angle is definitely more deadly... no contest.... I read a lot of posts on here, by people with a lot of gun exposure, and ended up doing at lot of reading on the topic as a consequence of that input (thanks go to posters such as deerhunter)

but... there are cases reported where verticals shots have killed people.... so they are lethal

medical studies  have found that an object traveling at 200kph will pierce a human skull... this is about the speed achieved by a tumbling small caliber bullet, I believe (61 m/s)... probably far less speed is required if the skull belongs to an infant or child, with an undeveloped skull (remembering that were these rounds land is indiscriminate)

Further, in practice, I agree, a vertical shot in its pure essence, is an unlikely shot, all experts agree on this.... so loosely termed, shooting into the air will rarely be a truly vertical shot, making it more dangerous than a truly vertical shot

celebratory gunfire that I have seen, sprays all over the place... these are all potential killer shots.

summary... rounds discharged into the air, can unintentionally kill, regardless of angle

41 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Yep.... a bullet fired at an angle is definitely more deadly... no contest.... I read a lot of posts on here, by people with a lot of gun exposure, and ended up doing at lot of reading on the topic as a consequence of that input (thanks go to posters such as deerhunter)

but... there are cases reported where verticals shots have killed people.... so they are lethal

medical studies  have found that an object traveling at 200kph will pierce a human skull... this is about the speed achieved by a tumbling small caliber bullet, I believe (61 m/s)... probably far less speed is required if the skull belongs to an infant or child, with an undeveloped skull (remembering that were these rounds land is indiscriminate)

Further, in practice, I agree, a vertical shot in its pure essence, is an unlikely shot, all experts agree on this.... so loosely termed, shooting into the air will rarely be a truly vertical shot, making it more dangerous than a truly vertical shot

celebratory gunfire that I have seen, sprays all over the place... these are all potential killer shots.

summary... rounds discharged into the air, can unintentionally kill, regardless of angle

I think we all agree on one thing; you have to be a total moron or a three year old in a (wo)mans body to do stupid shit like this and risk other people's lives.