Automotive air bags

I've been following the automotive air bag sector for some time, years.  I've been intrigued all along that the Takata recall has never involved anything more than the inflator, which chemical Takata used allowed the airbags to be smaller as well as somewhat cheaper.  They have been replacing the inflators, not the entire airbag unit, globally, for several years. And, of course, they have had to use the exact same chemical formulation that they had before, which formulation is part of the problem with the Takata airbags. 

For the first time ever, and coming just ahead of a final settlement between the auto sector, Takata and the US government... a major US car magazine (I guess I can't or shouldn't name them on a post here)... says that the current Takata inflator replacements are temporary "like for like" fixes... and that a permanent airbag replacement is under development.

Given that the auto sector is so important to Thailand, and that Bangkok is the home of the world's largest air bag fabric manufacturer (nylon 6,6 for automotive airbags), I am asking if there are any automotive sector experts out there who can shed more light on my theory that we will soon see the Takata recall being handled by replacements of the entire module, as a change in chemicals means a change in bag deployment, and probably new designs, just as being reported a few days ago... and therefore the airbags themselves.  Which is useful to know, for local investors and anyone involved in the Thai auto and chemical sectors.

by "airbags themselves" I mean the actual airbag that is inflated.... as opposed to the other components such as sensors, computer and the now infamous inflator unit that actually explodes (and is supposed to, but to very fine precision... just as the rest of the components must do as well... even after being stored in a vehicle for many years.  this aging thing also may affect the airbag itself, the fabric whether treated or not.. or perhaps depending on what chemicals and processing are involved with the nylon 6,6 or other poly fabric chosen).

Edited by maewang99

Airbags save lives they also take lives too, I would not concern myself with some chemicals but rather my neck breaking when it inflates, or foreign objects propelling into my head at a high velocity.

This is in a country where most people can drive safely too, if your a driver in Asia no airbag will save you from the lunatics that are let loose on the roads.

Sad reality, but true.

rhythmworx: yeah, I gotcha on that.  I am a little fearful too, I have a 10 year old Ford Ranger and no idea what airbag is in it, inspite of what I wrote above. however, the big storyline on airbags is that they do save lives.  in some countries especially where medium speed head on cross traffic predominates..... Thailand and Austrialia in particular come to mind, or, at the least, the latter country is often cited by the industry.

and.... in India car buyers demanded them... before the govt even required them.... and you can't sell cars or pickups without them.  

I debated this subject when I was in the 5th grade! airbags I was on the pro airbag side. can you tell? I still remember it. that was 1965. we both got commended, but the anti airbag guy was especially told "maybe you should be a lawyer someday". in the 4th or 5th grade.

Edited by maewang99

found my own answer, I guess. the US safety agency has been referring to the Takata recall replacement [inflators only] as a temporary fix all along.  since late 2015. it's not a really recent thing related to the final settlement with Takata.

but it still holds that... the permanent fix includes the airbag itself. does anyone know more?   

Edited by maewang99