Three burnt to death as Benz explodes in Chachoengsao

webfact

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

Then they should buy a new one. The ones with old cars are cheapskates as well.

But there is no proof...but LPG tanks older than 10 years can't be used in the West (which is an old rule and probably replaced already). I doubt Thailand has similar rules if any rules at all about CNG and LPG...Also i wonder if taxi's ever get checked for safety? And i mean real checks at checkpoints on the road so they can't change parts from another taxi for only during the check.

So much for LPGs. You have to stop for refills often and they're not safe under many conditions. And I get to drive my 14-year-old Infiniti Q45 (it's like a three-year-old car, not 14) and "petrol" is not that expensive in the US. I don't know what I'd get for a vehicle in Thailand--the choice is really pathetic. Certainly not a motorbike, though.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

I don't like LPG conversions because unless I am outdated in my information, you have to stop frequently for refills.

As with anything, it depends on the size of the tank..... my last 4X4 had a larger LPG tank (range) than the pre existing fuel tank.

And better, most all vehicles running LPG, also run on normal fuel (petrol / gas for Americans), so in effect, what you are doing, is installing long range fuel tanks, making stopping less necessary.... very important in outback Australia, were petrol stations aren't on every street corner (or where street corners are hundreds of miles apart)

more.... LPG is less polluting than petrol... so your doing the environment a favor (or the legacy you leave your grand children)

two weeks ago, I sold a BMW, that had an LPG tank in the boot. Brought it in chiang mai several years ago, drove it down to Phuket... never an issue... five yearly inspections required on the tank to re register vehicle. ( blue book notarized)

lol.... I reckon your far more likely to die by committing suicide by jumping off a building, than you are from getting killed in an LPG explosion.

34 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

So much for LPGs. You have to stop for refills often and they're not safe under many conditions. And I get to drive my 14-year-old Infiniti Q45 (it's like a three-year-old car, not 14) and "petrol" is not that expensive in the US. I don't know what I'd get for a vehicle in Thailand--the choice is really pathetic. Certainly not a motorbike, though.

Bear in mind.... this same thing applies to everything in Thailand

poor to non existent road safety

poor building standards

faulty electricity everywhere

total inability to control flooding

safety at sea is a farce

scams scams and more scams

sure... your LPG system probably isn't as safe as you would get back home.... but neither is the next elevator you might get into.... or the next train.... or the next etc etc etc... TiT

14 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

This kind of accident where the vehicle ends up in the kloy is almost a daily occurrence here in Rayong

but they have started putting up safety barriers on the 3 & 36 highways around here.

Highway 36 has issues along its full length!

15 hours ago, Pukehina1 said:

As above taken from OP

The S 280 was engulfed in flames when police and medics arrived at the scene at a U-turn in front of the temple of Wat Pho Yai on Route 304 in Panomsarakham district, reports Daily News.

This model type of S Class is chassis code W220.. The S Class model type that Diana sadly passed away in was chassis code W140.. S Class models pre 1996..

8 hours ago, oldsailor35 said:

Rules in Europe regarding LPG are pretty slack then. If you tried to install your own LPG system and then took it the govt agency to check in Australia, you would be in deep poo!   This can only be done by a licensed fully trained  LPG conversion mechanic.

The governmental inspection is exactly the same as for any other lpg converter.

And i never laughed so much as in Oz at the inspectors. I took a car from one state to the other and asked for new licenseplates....all they did was see if the headlights were burning, after that it passed....

20 hours ago, barryofthailand said:

All these cars and trucks that catch fire are powered by LPG. They should ban LPG in Thailand and let them use NGV which will not explode or catch fire when involed in an accident

have you ever watched the testing of vehicles at the registration depot, I don't think the brake testing machines have ever been used.

On 1/3/2017 at 4:21 PM, alocacoc said:

LPG. They will all explode. Only a question if time.

That'll be interesting, as there are probably hundreds of thousand of LPG powered cars on the road at any given time. Sort of a scaled up versions of Chinese fire crackers, eh?

However I think it'll take an RPG to crack an LPG tank open. 

6 hours ago, johng said:

why is LPG any more dangerous than CNG or petrol ?

CNG is under 200-260 bar in the tank, LPG under 8 bar. The CNG tank is built for that high pressure so should be as safe as lpg.

But in case of an accident when the tank gets severly damaged the higher pressure is extra dangerous.

A petrol tank is just a sodacan, thin metal. In case of an accident it will damage easy and petrol will flush out (but not under high pressure like gas).

The safety is all about maintenance and using good qualified materials. Those cost more than cheap materials so it's up to the mecanic and the owner of the car. Also there should be a qualified inspector who checks everything...Thailand has very good inspectors, especially for safety...that's why accidents rarely happen here.

On 03/01/2017 at 2:23 AM, MakeAmericaGreatAgain said:

So everyone is blaming LPG?  Does that mean we take our lives for granted each time we hail a Bangkok taxi?

You are playing russian roulette everytime you take a taxi in Bangkok.  The risk can be calculated if you can get the number of taxis in Bangkok, the number of times you take taxis, the average number of accidents involving taxis.

But if your GF is involved with a young handsome taxi driver who got jealousy and he shot you in your condo, so the LPG gas tank didn't explode but you still died anyway. All kinds of things happened in LOS, remember?

On 03/01/2017 at 7:18 AM, oldsailor35 said:

Reading this subject, i am of the opinion that very few of the posters have ever had LPG in their vehicle, as most of the remarks are completely ignorant, and show little knowledge of LPG driven vehicles.

Would you care to give a detail informations on this subject? More or less detail i mean.

On 1/3/2017 at 3:36 PM, farcanell said:

The rear half of the car would have been damaged, if this were an LPG explosion (or fault)

The trunk was probably full of gas and had displaced all the oxygen in it before the gas reached an ignition point by forcing its way through the back seat finding a flame or spark and oxygen.

19 minutes ago, Grubster said:

The trunk was probably full of gas and had displaced all the oxygen in it before the gas reached an ignition point by forcing its way through the back seat finding a flame or spark and oxygen.

At some point the fire would have entered the boot space, if this were true, chasing down the leak, and eventually exploding, when the pressure reduced enough to allow the flame to enter the tank.

this is why other countries have laws requiring flashback arrestord on oxy acetelene gear... or on LPG tanks, as the case may be.

9 hours ago, farcanell said:

At some point the fire would have entered the boot space, if this were true, chasing down the leak, and eventually exploding, when the pressure reduced enough to allow the flame to enter the tank.

this is why other countries have laws requiring flashback arrestord on oxy acetelene gear... or on LPG tanks, as the case may be.

Im sorry but the tank will not blow up if there is no oxygen in it, a sealed tank will blow if it gets too hot but thats due to pressure, it would blow up if it was full of water too. Yes when the flow of gas lets up the fire will back its way into the trunk of the car and surely did, but it would likely not blow up.

On 1/3/2017 at 3:17 PM, farcanell said:

LPG is safer than petroleum, provided it is installed and maintained correctly.

the only reason to ban its use here is because of the high likelihood of illegal or cheap installations. 

Australia turned to LPG in a big way, years ago, with government sponsored installations of conversion kits.... no problems.... 

if this vehicle was in a nasty accident, its more likely that spilt petrol from a ruptured tank, was to blame.... if it were LPG, I would have expected the boot to have blown off the rear end.

it almost every time the Gas-lines that run from the boot to the engine . if the get broken the LPG  streams out since it is under pressure in the tank.

16 hours ago, DrTuner said:

That'll be interesting, as there are probably hundreds of thousand of LPG powered cars on the road at any given time. Sort of a scaled up versions of Chinese fire crackers, eh?

However I think it'll take an RPG to crack an LPG tank open. 

The LPG Tank is not the problem , The LPG Lines to the Engine are . if the are cut the gas streams out creating a nice fire 

2 hours ago, Grubster said:

Im sorry but the tank will not blow up if there is no oxygen in it, a sealed tank will blow if it gets too hot but thats due to pressure, it would blow up if it was full of water too. Yes when the flow of gas lets up the fire will back its way into the trunk of the car and surely did, but it would likely not blow up.

If the tank was leaking... it's not sealed.

if it's leaking in the boot, the fire will migrate back to the boot

if the fire migrates back to the boot, the boot would be damaged

the boot was not damaged

i still haven't seen any mention in any article, that this car was on gas.... this was simply someone's speculation way way back in this thread, wasn't it?

speculation that posters have picked up and run with, for unknown reasons

35 minutes ago, DieterWiehe said:

it almost every time the Gas-lines that run from the boot to the engine . if the get broken the LPG  streams out since it is under pressure in the tank.

Lpg systems are installed with safety valves at the tank to prevent this from happening

10 hours ago, farcanell said:

If the tank was leaking... it's not sealed.

if it's leaking in the boot, the fire will migrate back to the boot

if the fire migrates back to the boot, the boot would be damaged

the boot was not damaged

i still haven't seen any mention in any article, that this car was on gas.... this was simply someone's speculation way way back in this thread, wasn't it?

speculation that posters have picked up and run with, for unknown reasons

If the tank wasn't leaking, no matter what the fuel was there would be no fire right? The gas leaks into your grill every time you cook does it not? Has your tank storage area been damaged by the fire or not?  Very true I don't know what kind of fuel was used in this car but I did not say that I knew anything based on wether or not the boot caught on fire did I? You did.

9 minutes ago, Grubster said:

If the tank wasn't leaking, no matter what the fuel was there would be no fire right? The gas leaks into your grill every time you cook does it not? Has your tank storage area been damaged by the fire or not?  Very true I don't know what kind of fuel was used in this car but I did not say that I knew anything based on wether or not the boot caught on fire did I? You did.

I dont think I said you said anything about the boot... I may have... I can't be bothered reviewing all the posts.

i observed... and commented that the boot was undamaged.

i further claim, that if there was a gas tank in the boot, causing the fire, then the boot would be damaged.

that leads me to believe that there was no LPG gas tank fire... coupled with no statement that I have seen in the media, suggesting that there was

if this was a fire caused by a fuel leak, I suggest that it is due to a ruptured petroleum tank... these are far more likely to rupture ( esp if the driver went over an embankment, hitting the tank on the ground in the process), spilling fuel beneath the vehicle, as they are made from far less robust materials.

thats it... plain and simple... but it's only my take

people who wish to demonize the use of LPG (in 3% of the worlds cars, I think, and a whole shitload of public transport options worldwide) may do so, even if worldwide experience suggests that there is no demon there.... although it simply makes no sense to do so.