why are they allowed to sell alcoholic beverages in patong after midnight?

Howitzer

31 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Doubt any change to the law ... more like a company policy change by Tesco. 

Nope- one has required a licence to bulk buy out of hours for over a year now- its not just Tescos.

1 hour ago, lucifer666 said:

Depends on the distance from the 7/11 to a school ( Yes, really lol). If it's closer than 150 metres from a school then they cannot sell alcohol between the hours of 6:30 am - 12 and then 3:00 pm - 6:pm. But the mom and pops store can sell it anytime, ( often found next door ). The same applies to Tesco Lotus and Family Mart.

Nope- 7/11 closest to me is at the other end of town to the school- 7/11 lock out their registers. The daytime bans (in theory) apply to ALL outlests selling alcohol but no one enforces them (other than the shops themselves).

50 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Doubt any change to the law ... more like a company policy change by Tesco. 

It was more than a case you had to buy and by other posts the law has changed

Its a long time since i have done it but when i did i was told a case was not enough

and i had to buy extra bottles to make up the quantity required (10 litres)

This was correct several years ago, what i posted was correct at that time

15 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

I've always found that Family Mart and Lawson will sell at any time.

I live next door to a MaxValue and they are very strict about the selling times.   There is a 7/11 and a Lawsons 100m further down the street.  I'm tempted now to see if either of those will sell me a few cans of Asahi seeing as it's just gone midnight.

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

More that the mom and pop shops are being put out of business by the franchises than the franchises 'feeling the pain'.

Gotcha. My Mom and Pop gets my business whenever wherever possible. We need to nurture them. My little ole lady still gives me a sweet smile and a wha and a hello. She makes it personal with everyone. What a sweetie. The franchises just stuff the money in the till and yell "Next"

21 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Nurture them? Are you kidding?

Why buy dusty, out-of-date stock which is usually over-priced, when you know you can buy fresh at a convenience store?

The mom & pop stores belong in yesteryear.

No don't agree mom and pop stores are the backbone of village life. If you don't like them or for some reason belive they rip you off or sell out of date goods don't use them simple really.

59 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Gotcha. My Mom and Pop gets my business whenever wherever possible. We need to nurture them. My little ole lady still gives me a sweet smile and a wha and a hello. She makes it personal with everyone. What a sweetie. The franchises just stuff the money in the till and yell "Next"

I sometimes get a smile from my 7/11 girls as well

34 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Why buy dusty, out-of-date stock which is usually over-priced, when you know you can buy fresh at a convenience store?

The thing that puts me off is that they don't want to pay the electric for the lights so they tend to be in near darkness, and forget about air con.  Stock inventory is always unknown.

They might be the backbone of the rural village, but the 7/11s are coming, and soon.

Edited by LivinginKata

2 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

The thing that puts me off is that they don't want to pay the electric for the lights so they tend to be in near darkness, and forget about air con.  Stock inventory is always unknown.

Yes my Mom and Pop is the same its part of their charm. If you want perfection go back to the west sorry I take that back I promised not to join that club my apologies. 

4 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

They might be the backbone of the rural village, but the 7/11s are coming, and soon.

Yes true. The relentless onward march of the monetary monoliths. so sad. Another 20  years and the smiling girls will be replaced by robots no doubt. 

On 1/4/2017 at 10:58 AM, LivinginKata said:

Not correct ... I tried to buy a case of whisky in a Tesco. I argued that it was allowed at any time if a 'bulk' buy. Big mutterings and running about ... my purchase was denied.

A case of whiskey is only  840 ML (12x700)

it takes  15 bottles (10.5 litre) to make up the 10 litre minimum purchase to buy out of trading hours

So the staff were right and you were wrong 

1 hour ago, Deepinthailand said:
1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

No don't agree mom and pop stores are the backbone of village life. If you don't like them or for some reason belive they rip you off or sell out of date goods don't use them simple really.

Comparing oranges with orangutans.

Mom and Pop stores might be the backbone of village life, where perhaps there isn't a 7/11, Lawsons, Family Mart or MaxValue on every corner.   

But here in Bangkok, why would you buy from a run down, dirty little shop when you can go to a nice clean convenience store.

The only reason I might buy from a Mom and Pop store would be if I happened to be down some sub soi and really wanted a drink, but as I rarely (if ever) go far from Sukhumvit that situation almost never occurs.

Restriction of liquor sale time takes effect today

| January 23, 2015

so, the old law allows for wholesale purchase of alcohol in excess of 10 liters to be made at any time of the day while any purchase under 10 liters can only be made at the specified times.

The new regulation does not allow for this, what matters now are the stated hours for purchase or sale of alcohol irrespective of quantity.

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Restriction of liquor sale time takes effect today

| January 23, 2015

so, the old law allows for wholesale purchase of alcohol in excess of 10 liters to be made at any time of the day while any purchase under 10 liters can only be made at the specified times.

The new regulation does not allow for this, what matters now are the stated hours for purchase or sale of alcohol irrespective of quantity.

A bit like the DUI and helmet and driving license laws among a few laws i could mention

Depends if people want to obey them or not

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

Comparing oranges with orangutans.

Mom and Pop stores might be the backbone of village life, where perhaps there isn't a 7/11, Lawsons, Family Mart or MaxValue on every corner.   

But here in Bangkok, why would you buy from a run down, dirty little shop when you can go to a nice clean convenience store.

The only reason I might buy from a Mom and Pop store would be if I happened to be down some sub soi and really wanted a drink, but as I rarely (if ever) go far from Sukhumvit that situation almost never occurs.

There you go then that's one of the reasons I dislike BKK (no soul no heart everybody in there own little conclave as you describe)) and love the village life plenty of heart and soul..

Edited by Deepinthailand