Do i really need an Edu Degree?

I've been teaching in Thailand for many years. I have a wp and a degree in English. My last 2 year waiver stated i need an education qualification to renew. I'm 53 years old and I think I'm a good teacher of English. I've only had 2 schools since I've been here. Are they really going to enforce the education degree on those of us that have been here a while and are doing a good job? I don't/won't study again at my age but i do want to continue teaching for a few more years. I'm sure there are others like me; what are you going to do/have done?

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I was always under impression that Education degree is only required for certain schools (government schools?).

Don't quote me on that as I am not a teacher, it's just something I picked up from "another" now defunct forum.

I used to work in a government school but for the last two years i've worked in a Thai private school.  I'll just wait and see what happens! Licence/visa will run out Nov 17  a lot could happen before then! lol

Private or government schools providing P1-M6 education fall under the OBEC. Schools falling under the supervision of the OBEC have to comply with rules set by The Teachers' Council of Thailand in regards to their teachers. Main rule is, Thai and foreign teachers must hold a degree in education or equivalent.

10 minutes ago, aidenai said:

Private or government schools providing P1-M6 education fall under the OBEC. Schools falling under the supervision of the OBEC have to comply with rules set by The Teachers' Council of Thailand in regards to their teachers. Main rule is, Thai and foreign teachers must hold a degree in education or equivalent.

Thanks adenai..........................I understand and this is what i have been told   It's a shame that as I am a native speaker and I have degree in English this doesn't appear to be good enough to teach English in Thailand????

1 minute ago, gunnerterry said:

Thanks adenai..........................I understand and this is what i have been told   It's a shame that as I am a native speaker and I have degree in English this doesn't appear to be good enough to teach English in Thailand????

Sorry Adenai ... just to follow up, are you saying I could teach in a university with my present qualifications but not a primary or secondary school?

Sorry Adenai ... just to follow up, are you saying I could teach in a university with my present qualifications but not a primary or secondary school?

Absolutely. Universities and often their demonstration schools (P1 - M1) fall under the OHEC. The TCT doesn't have any authority in OHEC institutions.

Going back to OBEC schools, I know of many foreign teachers doing/ having done the 1 year part-time IFUGAO State University graduate diploma in teaching. Graduates are eligible for the TCT teacher license.

OP, why are you even discussing this? Has anything changed, or a rumor started that the MOE will change the way things have been done for the last 14 years I have been here?

I wish it were true, cos I have a b ed and my teaching license... and if this were the case I would be in a position to demand a much better salary, but for now... status quo as far as I know. So, don't panic unless you haven't done any professional development.

2 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

OP, why are you even discussing this? Has anything changed, or a rumor started that the MOE will change the way things have been done for the last 14 years I have been here?

I wish it were true, cos I have a b ed and my teaching license... and if this were the case I would be in a position to demand a much better salary, but for now... status quo as far as I know. So, don't panic unless you haven't done any professional development.

Funny...or is it sad? you mention "professional development"....any of these weekend things the M.of Ed. has put on have been a complete failure and said funding of them has ceased, at least four or five years since I've even heard rumor of one. What do you refer? We have learned here and elsewhere that issuing B.A.'s with a major in Education has become a profitable business in the Philippines and for the time being, the TCT is accepting them and giving licensees. There is no point in feeding into some seminar which is created to make Thai people money. Much less expensive to just get a Philippine University degree in education and remember during an interview to allow the person doing the interview to ask then answer his/her own questions, always agreeing with him/her. OO and God Bless You. 

If you possess a recognized degree (any major), you can obtain at least two 2-year waivers from the TCT teacher license requirements at OBEC schools. IE any degree allows you to teach for up to 4 years. After this, you'll need a post-grad qualification in order to obtain a teacher license. This doesn't apply to language school teachers. They can teach for ever on any degree and sometimes degree-equivalent qualifications.

Absolutely. Universities and often their demonstration schools (P1 - M1) fall under the OHEC. The TCT doesn't have any authority in OHEC institutions.

He's absolutely right.

Case in point:
I observed one University which hired a dynamic-personality-kid just two years out of high school with no college or university training; but they were a wonderful poster child for a dysfunctional English department that needed something to attract new students.

First impressions were wonderful, and the new recruit, flush with popularity, then began to spend an inordinate amount of time and energy publicly belittling the more experienced and degreed staff. Couldn't follow a lesson plan, but could certainly play the Pied Piper to disgruntled students.

The arrogant recruit lasted less than a year, and the school spent at least a couple more years cleaning up the mess.

Yes, the minimum entry standards are low, and the universities (which fail to perform due diligence) do get burned.

The silver lining: If you are a natural teacher with some experience, but lacking specific degrees or certificates, there's a possible foot-in-the-door opportunity to prove yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• 2 weeks later...

I am a language school teacher with no degree but have a WP and I am doing my education degree online. I am in my second year and it is very time consuming but I am hoping for the financial reward when I finish it in a few years. I am in my upper 30s so it makes sense for me as I wish to live here for a long time. Older than 45 I would never do it. 

10 hours ago, crickets said:

I am a language school teacher with no degree but have a WP and I am doing my education degree online. I am in my second year and it is very time consuming but I am hoping for the financial reward when I finish it in a few years. I am in my upper 30s so it makes sense for me as I wish to live here for a long time. Older than 45 I would never do it. 

People with degrees don't get financially rewarded in Thai schools. No matter the major and/or it being online. While you aren't wasting time and money if you get something out of it, just don't expect more money here in Thailand. 

3 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

People with degrees don't get financially rewarded in Thai schools. No matter the major and/or it being online. While you aren't wasting time and money if you get something out of it, just don't expect more money here in Thailand. 

The top schools teachers can make 130k plus benefits such as sending their children for free to school. Its not too bad if you plan on living here permanitly

3 hours ago, crickets said:

The top schools teachers can make 130k plus benefits such as sending their children for free to school. Its not too bad if you plan on living here permanitly

You need a masters degree, from a real University in the "west" to earn that sort of wage here. It's great if you get in one I'm sure. Benefits include housing and handling of all in country income tax issues as well of course getting a TL, VISA, and Work Permit. Money talks, BS walks. OO And God Bless Those Lucky Few. 

56 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

You need a masters degree, from a real University in the "west" to earn that sort of wage here. It's great if you get in one I'm sure. Benefits include housing and handling of all in country income tax issues as well of course getting a TL, VISA, and Work Permit. Money talks, BS walks. OO And God Bless Those Lucky Few. 

this is from an australian university and a full bahelor degree in education is more than welcome.....there arent to many people with masters in ed working here.

A bachelor is fine, but it should be from a recognized university. What is more important I guess is how dedicated you are and if you act professionally. There are plenty of good teaching jobs in Bangkok for qualified professionals that pay 100k+.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, starshiptrooper said:

A bachelor is fine, but it should be from a recognized university. What is more important I guess is how dedicated you are and if you act professionally. There are plenty of good teaching jobs in Bangkok for qualified professionals that pay 100k+.

I think this is mis-leading people. But hey, if they believe you more power to them. OO And God Bless You.

9 hours ago, crickets said:

Most of these, presumably, International schools, generally recruit from overseas and can take their pick from very experienced teachers. Don't even start to think these jobs are easy to get. Local hires are the second choice, and often do not get all of the benefits of international hires. 

Interesting that some, who are teaching, post that education seems to stop at a certain age! That they don't want to bother after a certain age.

Hmmm. Most Educationalists, organizations and government are trying to promote learning for life. Maybe some of those who think different do need a refresher course. Hope they don't tell their students that education stops after leaving school or Uni.

17 hours ago, crickets said:

this is from an australian university and a full bahelor degree in education is more than welcome.....there arent to many people with masters in ed working here.

Yes there are, more than you think. I know many Thai teachers who have Masters in Education, including my wife and many of her friends and former colleagues. It makes, officially, a big difference to their salary level, although getting schools to pay it is another matter, and also affects promotional prospects.

And, despite what the TVF bar stool brigade often state, the Master's courses are demanding, on a par with ones in the West, and shock horror people do fail - I've seen so.

I know several Thai and Chinese who hold Master's from Australian Unis - and none would have the English language skills to produce dissertations and thesis. 

Of course not,look at all those phone teachers at the majority of the schools teaching(read baby sitters) now.The school just want some kind of phony paper work so that they can charge the parents a large fee . There is a hand full of true international schools with the proper educators teaching there.So join the rest of the phonies from Khao San road.

On 1/3/2017 at 7:56 PM, aidenai said:

"'Main rule is, Thai and foreign teachers must hold a degree in education or equivalent."

On 1/3/2017 at 8:09 PM, gunnerterry said:

" Main rule is, Thai and foreign teachers must hold a degree in education or equivalent. "

It may be that a degree in English--or a degree in any thing else--can be considered an equivalent.  I was offered a faculty position in an executive MBA program at a major government university--I have no degree in education, but I have a doctorate in business.

Most of these, presumably, International schools, generally recruit from overseas and can take their pick from very experienced teachers. Don't even start to think these jobs are easy to get. Local hires are the second choice, and often do not get all of the benefits of international hires. 

The top three for sure require extensive experience (ISB, NIST and Pattana). However there are plenty of other schools with decent salaries where you can get in with 1-2 years of experience. Alternatively work a couple of years in a low tier international school with an international curriculum after which you can get hired to the better ones. Qualified professionals do have lots of options in Bangkok.

On 1/16/2017 at 0:40 PM, smotherb said:

" Main rule is, Thai and foreign teachers must hold a degree in education or equivalent. "

It may be that a degree in English--or a degree in any thing else--can be considered an equivalent.  I was offered a faculty position in an executive MBA program at a major government university--I have no degree in education, but I have a doctorate in business.

A degree in education or equivalent only applies to teachers teaching KG to G. 12.

Archived