New Year festival road death toll jumps to 426 in six days

webfact

New Year festival road death toll jumps to 426 in six days

road.jpg

BANGKOK: -- New Year holidays have claimed the lives of 426 people and injured 3,761.

According to the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, six days of the seven-day No Drunk Driving campaign from December 29-January 3, a total of 426 persons were killed and 3,761 others injured in fatal road accidents on highways and roads throughout the country.

A total of 3,579 road accidents were recorded since December 29 until yesterday.

Speeding is the main cause of most road accidents, followed by drunk driving.

Udon Thani had the highest accumulated cases of 146 while Chonburi had the highest road fatalities of 33 people.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-year-festival-road-death-toll-jumps-426-six-days/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-01-04

Pm already "congratulated"  those responsible for road  safety I see..................well done:thumbsup:, TV doesnt have an "utter winker "  icon so  ill provide my  own

smileywank.gif

Edited by kannot

You know after sitting around a larger village yesterday watching the amount of people riding scooters without helmets, I'm honestly not really surprised.  

Just in 30 minutes I also saw a large number of vehicles with inoperative lights, a small child who couldn't reach the footpegs (might have been 3-4 years old) getting ferried around on the back of one scooter, a girl who was probably 10 riding along a major highway as well as the usual idiots who ride up the wrong side of the road and pull out from an intersection without checking for oncoming traffic first.

Mai pen rai, TiT right?

It's not only the people who were killed or injured,but it  has a much wider

impact on their families,place of employment,it happens every year,and

all the Government does is issue statements like drive safe,don't drive too

fast,when really much more needs to be done,to at least lower the carnage.

regards worgeordie

Yee haw! ...as the Americans say to celebrate. Too many Thai simply drunk out of their minds,  then drive.  Why?  Because no consequences. No law enforcement or if any, minimal penalty.  Good luck to the Country. 

5 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Come on Thailand shows us you are the number 1 road idiots in the world. Break 500. We know you can do it.:ph34r:

I wonder when the Thai will see enough is enoug and NOW we're really going to stop it...Is it at 1000 fatalities or 2000 ??

Guess they don't realise they are loosing face for the rest of the world ??

The big General should be ashamed for this, he is leading the country and didn't achieve anything with regards to the road fatalities this year.

Apart from  426 unnecessary funerals and 3,761 unnecessary injuries consider the impact on all those families and employers. It must be mind-boggling to even phantom the financial impact of those accidents in terms of destruction and loss of revenue generation.

All avoidable IF the existing laws would be strictly enforced ......... 

The general is supposed to be in charge, the buck stops with him in theory. But apart from useless words, what has he done. The lazy RTP do not have a clue and could'nt care less. What needs to happen is that  the military have to "crack down"  on the lazy police. Put Soldiers alongside policemen and tell the soldiers to oversee the RTP. Any policeman not doing his job with traffic is to be reported and sacked immediately, non of this "inactive post " crap.

Only the Army can sort this traffic chaos problem, by controlling the RTP viciously. At the present, the situation is going downhill.

42 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

The general is supposed to be in charge, the buck stops with him in theory. But apart from useless words, what has he done. The lazy RTP do not have a clue and could'nt care less. What needs to happen is that  the military have to "crack down"  on the lazy police. Put Soldiers alongside policemen and tell the soldiers to oversee the RTP. Any policeman not doing his job with traffic is to be reported and sacked immediately, non of this "inactive post " crap.

Only the Army can sort this traffic chaos problem, by controlling the RTP viciously. At the present, the situation is going downhill.

army  is  the same  as  the  police  just  more  guns

Let's be a bit fair here. The General has inherited a system that has been ingrained for hundreds of years. Yes he is in charge and I like everyone would like to see a reduction in the road tolls. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the road toll only includes those that actually die at the scene of the accident. Until a fully integrated programme is implemented this carnage will happen again at songkram. This death toll could be reduced by half in 5 years and then half again every year by a government dedicated to improving road safety. How ? General come talk.