Six Week Tour of Portugal and Spain Schengen Visa

Pinot

I'm an American and I want to take my Thai wife to Portugal and Spain for six weeks in April. First step, get her a Schengen Visa. Apparently I need to buy a round trip ticket to show that we're leaving. So, my first question is, Do I have to buy that ticket? If she gets turned down for the Visa I'll be stuck with the ticket. I think just a reservation may work according to the Visa paperwork, but is that the way to go? Buying a flight that's cancelable is double the fare. I'll cancel and buy a cheaper ticket? 

One of the cheapest flights to Europe is Phuket to Paris at about $580. Possibly spend a couple days in Paris (blowing the hotel budget up) and then a train or flight on to Lisbon. 

Any suggestions about how to do this? I'll be starting the process in a couple of days (90 days before needing the Visa). 

Thanks for any suggestions. 

Can't help with the visa, but have a thought about the flights.  I just saw Phuket to Madrid for about the same amount of money, one stop though.  From there, it's easy to get around Spain and Portugal.  I think the train trip from Paris to Lisbon is quite long????

We rented a car for part of this trip and it was fantastic.  Lots of flexibility and easy driving.  Something to think about.

What a wonderful trip!

It might be worth looking at open jaw tickets. You fly into Barcelona (Madrid, Paris wherever) and the flight back returns from a different city like Lisbon. Or do it in reverse. Into Lisbon home from Barcelona. Sky scanner can do this . Anything that looks interesting book it direct with the airline or reputable agent.

Trains, hire cars and low cost airlines can be used for inbetween travel. 

Check when Easter is next year. 2 weeks around Easter means busier flights and higher prices. 

Go to a decent travel agent and and advise you need the visa first before paying in full for a ticket. They know all about it.  They can create a reservation and book it later or cancel it and go with something different when you are ready.  You need a good agent. Search function on here wil have recommendations in BKK, HKT, CNX etc 

24 minutes ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

It might be worth looking at open jaw tickets. You fly into Barcelona (Madrid, Paris wherever) and the flight back returns from a different city like Lisbon. Or do it in reverse. Into Lisbon home from Barcelona. Sky scanner can do this . Anything that looks interesting book it direct with the airline or reputable agent.

Check when Easter is next year. 2 weeks around Easter means busier flights and higher prices. 

Go to a decent travel agent and and advise you need the visa first before paying in full for a ticket. They know all about it.  They can create a reservation and book it later or cancel it and go with something different when you are ready.  You need a good agent. Search function on here wil have recommendations in BKK, HKT, CNX etc 

Now to find an agent in Phuket...? Thanks

Getting a Schengan tourist visa should be straight forward.

Your wife applies in BKK, Sillon at the VSF Office, NOT the Spanish Embassy.

Last year my Thai wife (has Spanish resident's ID) and I (Brit with Spanish ID) invited my step son to travel with us for a two week holiday in Spain.

I wrote a letter to him saying that we would provide for all his accommodation and expenses, we had a return ticket for him.

He got a letter from his work, granting him holiday and expecting him to return after his holiday.

I guess it would help if you can prove that you have sufficient finances for the trip.

Leave them in no doubt that you will not overstay or need assistance from the Spanish Government or anyone else. If you have a friend over there who can send you an invitation letter, that may help too.

Getting his visa was routine, the fee and just a couple of visits and queuing as I recall.

Apart from the letter, I had nothing to do, my step son and his Mum took care of everything.

He had a great holiday.

Hope you do too.

just a word of advice in case you might not know. when applying for her visa, you have to apply at the embassy/vsf of the country that you will be staying in the longest not the first destination.  me and the thai gf have done multi country trips to europe in 2015 and 2016.  both times they requested not only return flights but also hotels or accomadations and her bank books showing enough monies to be able to look after herself.  this was looked at very carefully. and the visas were for the exact amount of days that was requested not like many other countries that might issue 3 month visas etc.

as we have travelled many times to multiple counttries with visas and she has never had a black mark at any time i went ahead and booked things in advance, but if your wife has a blank passport i would just print out the page just before giving the your visa/mastercard details.  and also same with hotels.

Unfortunately my experience earlier this year left me at a loss as to how I could ever get a Shengen visa for my Thai fiancé to accompany me on a visit to Spain. We already had a visa granted by the British Embassy for her to visit the UK with me and thought it would be a mere formality to get the Shengen to enter Spain but no, after 2 applications and 2 refusals we feel that there's no point in wasting our time again. Our applications were supported by all the same documents as required for the UK plus statements of my bank account in Spain, together with proof that I owned my house in there. Flights were booked, itinerary and a car hire voucher was provided, all paid for in advance, we were refused apparently  because we hadn't provided enough documentation to justify our visit although I had written a lengthy letter to explain our reasons for the visit and the guarantee that she would be supported by me during our stay, the only thing I omitted was our shoe sizes, we were left shocked, confused and well out of pocket by it all.

I am in Granada now doing what you just mentioned.

I booked a refundable ticket and hotels for my gf before  she applied.

After she got approved we canceled the original tickets and purchased a cheaper non refundable ticket. Make sure you read the fare rules. some airlines are refundable but they still charge a cancelation fee, others are 100% refundable.

The Spanish embassy here is a disaster to deal with. My Thai wife and I have traveled to many European countries and the only one that was a big problem with a visa was Spain, One crazy thing they insisted on was the hotel booking has to be in her name and not mine regardless of the fact that the booking was for 2 people. Suggest you spend more time in Portugal than Spain to you can get the Shengen visa there and still use for Spain.

1 hour ago, mamasbar said:

Unfortunately my experience earlier this year left me at a loss as to how I could ever get a Shengen visa for my Thai fiancé to accompany me on a visit to Spain. We already had a visa granted by the British Embassy for her to visit the UK with me and thought it would be a mere formality to get the Shengen to enter Spain but no, after 2 applications and 2 refusals we feel that there's no point in wasting our time again. Our applications were supported by all the same documents as required for the UK plus statements of my bank account in Spain, together with proof that I owned my house in there. Flights were booked, itinerary and a car hire voucher was provided, all paid for in advance, we were refused apparently  because we hadn't provided enough documentation to justify our visit although I had written a lengthy letter to explain our reasons for the visit and the guarantee that she would be supported by me during our stay, the only thing I omitted was our shoe sizes, we were left shocked, confused and well out of pocket by it all.

I had something sort of similar.

I have had a Spanish NIE (ID No.) since 2004 and in 2013 I brought my Thai wife to Spain on an EEA Family Member visa. With that we began the process of getting her registered to live in Spain. We applied to the UK for a General Visitor Visa for a 2-3 week holiday to show off my wife to my family there. I had property in Spain but not in the UK. Like you we provided everything but the kitchen sink, she owned two properties in Thailand but did not work, she takes care of me and that's work enough......

Also like you (and this might be the real problem), we thought it would be a mere formality to get the visa.

What a mistake to make.

It was refused on the grounds of possibility that because she was not sufficiently attached to Spain, they felt that it was possible that she would overstay and run out of money and need assistance from the British Government.....

I had even given them my NI No. so they could easily check on my annual income, Tax returns etc. But, they are overworked and don't have time to make a phone call....

Unless the application gives them a feel good factor, they may choose to deny the visa.

As I said in my previous post:

Leave them in no doubt that you will not overstay or need assistance from the Spanish Government or anyone else.

On reflection, I could have done more, my incorrect assumption that it was a formality was no doubt my undoing.

It looks like the OP will use an agent and perhaps they will guide him well and there will be no doubt in the IO's mind that she will overstay. Giving proof of her job in Thailand is good if you can include that, as I mentioned before.

Leave no stone unturned, don't assume anything.

PS

Make sure you include health/travelinsurance in your planning and ensure that the details are included!

You should try a Schengen Visa fromthe French Embassy as the regulation is that the Schengen visa should be issued by the country in the Schengen area where you land first. Most embassies accept a confirmed flight reservation. I don't now all, but from experience I do know that the German and Israeli (nn Schengen) accepts this. Why not try the French Embassy?

Funny how Syrians can just run over any border they chose into welcome arms but Thais who jump through countless hoops, pay endless fees and are guilty of nothing are treated like criminals because they want to take a holiday in another country. Shameful.

15 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

.......the regulation is that the Schengen visa should be issued by the country in the Schengen area where you land first......

That used to be the case but no longer is. As Wanderlust points out above, you now have to apply to the country where you will be spending the most time during your Schengen area visit (which may or may not be the first place you land).

Thank you all for your thoughts. I really appreciate it. 

I'm going to simplify this and fly into Lisboa. Apply for the Schengen to Portugal where we'll be doing a SINGLE entry application to simplify it. 

On 1/4/2017 at 1:13 PM, CNXBKKMAN said:

With a little searching found a travel agent who was familiar with this process and will handle the flight reservation paperwork for 200 baht. He said, "You can buy your ticket from me or online, I don't care." I'm delaying the flight till after Easter now, thanks for the heads up.

19 hours ago, Caca4u said:

I am in Granada now doing what you just mentioned.

I booked a refundable ticket and hotels for my gf before  she applied.

After she got approved we canceled the original tickets and purchased a cheaper non refundable ticket. Make sure you read the fare rules. some airlines are refundable but they still charge a cancelation fee, others are 100% refundable.

Yes, those refundable tickets are dear.

17 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

You should try a Schengen Visa fromthe French Embassy as the regulation is that the Schengen visa should be issued by the country in the Schengen area where you land first. Most embassies accept a confirmed flight reservation. I don't now all, but from experience I do know that the German and Israeli (nn Schengen) accepts this. Why not try the French Embassy?

This is why I'm starting this process as early as possible (90 days ahead) because I'll try alternatives if Portugal doesn't work. From what I read, it's NOT the country you're landing in, it's the country you're spending the most time in, no? 

My wife of four years doesn't have a job. Only owns about 5 rai of rice land and we don't own (always rent in LOS) a home. So, it will be a challenge, as it is trying to get to the US (turned down once). She can show a significant bank account and all the regular living expenses go through her bank account. We have traveled all over Asia. I plan to write a letter documenting my finances in America, a detailed itinerary  and hope for the best. 

Someone pointed out that with the Schengen, the Visa process for America should be easier. 

We'd also like an extended Capetown visit (No Visa needed) so we'll be going somewhere in the Spring. I want to get out of LOS, when it's really hot, but I have my heart set on Portugal.  

5 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Some embassies advise people not to buy tickets until visas have been approved, might be worth checking.

They want to see a ticket. I'm not going to buy the cheapest one I'll use because you're locked into those. 

OP you posted this in the travel forum but there is a forum section for traveling to coutries outside of Thailand:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/25-visas-and-migration-to-other-countries/

You will find a FAQ there on Schengen visas (and a whole bunch of topics on traveling to Europe):

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/724180-schengen-visa-faq-when-applying-from-thailand/

Spain is the most notorious for not playing by the book, ignoring the rules dictated to all member states in the Schengen Code on Visa.

For instance, external service providers such as VFS Global and TLS Contact are entirely optional and you can refuse to deal with them, dealing with the embassy instead (right of direct access, saving you a service fee and dealing with embassy staff rather than external staff). However especially Spain tries to trick or push people into going to VFS anyway.   They are also known for other silly things.

But to start, NO embassy will tell you to buy an airline ticket. Most if not all stricly urge you NOT TO BUY A TICKET. A reservation for a flight will be just fine. Though they may request (rarely) to show a ticket after the visa has been granted. A hotelbooking would be required of you have no private accomodation (if so, you need some sort of confirmation of that). A booking via a site such as Agoda, booking.com etc. will do just fine for most embassies. Some insist in stone age methods of paper hotel bookings fully paid etc.  Stone age embassies are out of their mind ofcourse...  A normal embassy will try not to let you make any costs or minimize them because of chanches of a visa refusal and you not waisting money on tickets, bookings etc.   

On 5-1-2017 at 8:55 AM, laislica said:

Getting a Schengan tourist visa should be straight forward.

Your wife applies in BKK, Sillon at the VSF Office, NOT the Spanish Embassy.

Last year my Thai wife (has Spanish resident's ID) and I (Brit with Spanish ID) invited my step son to travel with us for a two week holiday in Spain.

I wrote a letter to him saying that we would provide for all his accommodation and expenses, we had a return ticket for him.

He got a letter from his work, granting him holiday and expecting him to return after his holiday.

I guess it would help if you can prove that you have sufficient finances for the trip.

Leave them in no doubt that you will not overstay or need assistance from the Spanish Government or anyone else. If you have a friend over there who can send you an invitation letter, that may help too.

Getting his visa was routine, the fee and just a couple of visits and queuing as I recall.

Apart from the letter, I had nothing to do, my step son and his Mum took care of everything.

He had a great holiday.

Hope you do too.

One can apply via VFS if you prefer to do so but you can also apply for an appointment at the embassy. See Schengen sticky for details. 

On 5-1-2017 at 9:43 AM, GordonP said:

You certainly need the ticket booked when dealing with the Netherlands.

No, they don't. NL is infact one of the embassies that applies the rules the best and will think with you rather then from an ivory ancient tower.  A reservation is just fine and for that simply call with an airliner and ask them to e-mail you one. Most do so for free, the reservation expering after days or weeks but that's no problem aslong as the reservation is valid when you submit the application. 

The visa rules state this:

-------

ANNEX II

Non-exhaustive list of supporting documents

The supporting documents referred to in Article 14, to be submitted by visa applicants may include the following:

A. DOCUMENTATION RELATING TO THE PURPOSE OF THE JOURNEY

(...)

3. for journeys undertaken for the purposes of tourism or for private reasons:

(a) documents relating to accommodation:

— an invitation from the host if staying with one,

— a document from the establishment providing accommodation or any other appropriate document indicating the accommodation envisaged;

(b) documents relating to the itinerary:

— confirmation of the booking of an organised trip or any other appropriate document indicating the envisaged travel plans,

— in the case of transit: visa or other entry permit for the third country of destination; tickets for onward journey;

(....)

B. DOCUMENTATION ALLOWING FOR THE ASSESSMENT OF THE APPLICANT’S INTENTION TO LEAVE THE TERRITORY OF THE MEMBER STATES

1. reservation of or return or round ticket;

2. proof of financial means in the country of residence;

3. proof of employment: bank statements;

4. proof of real estate property;

5. proof of integration into the country of residence: family ties; professional status

-----

Source: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2009:243:0001:0058:EN:PDF

The handbook for embassy staff further explains (  Operational instructions for the application of the Visa Code ):

-------- page 45 and onward ------

Reservation of return or round ticket (if travelling by a public mean of transport); or, drivers licence, car insurance (if travelling by private car);

(...)

B. DOCUMENTATION ALLOWING FOR THE ASSESSMENT OF THE APPLICANT'S INTENTION TO LEAVE THE TERRITORY OF THE MEMBER STATES BEFORE THE EXPIRY OF THE VISA

The assessment of the applicant’s intention to leave the territory of the Member State before the expiry of the visa depends mainly on the stability of his/her socio-economic situation in his country of residence: stability of the employment, of the financial situation, of the family ties. This assessment leads to the determination of a risk.

(1) reservation of or return or round ticket.

In general a paid return ticket is not required but can be requested in exceptional circumstances.

(....)

----------------------

Source: https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/sites/homeaffairs/files/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/visa-policy/docs/20140709_visa_code_handbook_consolidated_en.pdf

On 5-1-2017 at 10:45 AM, mamasbar said:

Never ever book a flight and try to keep other costs as low (and refundable) as possible incase of a visa refusal. And yes Spain isn't the most friendly or easy embassy... A ton of topics in the other-countries-visa forum here on TV will make that very clear.

If you happen to be a UK national a Schengen visa would be issued for free, ASAP and with minimum hassle (only marriage paper, legalisation stamps, translation,  passport of Thai, copy of passport EU/EEA national, some sort of indication that the married couple will travel together such as a written statement from the EU national or if you wish a flight reservation.  Same applies to a UK visa (EEA family permit for free etc.) for non-British EU/EEA nationals traveling with Thai spouse to the UK.

More info in:

- Schengen sticky topic

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/non-eu-family/index_nl.htm

- Freedom of Movement Directive 2004/38 http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2004:158:0077:0123:nl:PDF

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/visa-policy_en

- Page 81, part III https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/sites/homeaffairs/files/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/visa-policy/schengen_area_en.pdf

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/sites/homeaffairs/files/pdf/policies/borders/docs/c_2010_3667_en.pdf

On 5-1-2017 at 11:10 AM, glamont002 said:

The Spanish embassy here is a disaster to deal with. My Thai wife and I have traveled to many European countries and the only one that was a big problem with a visa was Spain, One crazy thing they insisted on was the hotel booking has to be in her name and not mine regardless of the fact that the booking was for 2 people. Suggest you spend more time in Portugal than Spain to you can get the Shengen visa there and still use for Spain.

Indeed it is. Hotelbooking in her name rather than yours if it's very clear that you will be with her is just insane. 

On 5-1-2017 at 1:10 PM, robertson468 said:

Beware if you need a multi-entry to Spain.  They normally issue only Single Entry, even although we applied twice and wrote to say why we needed a multi entry.  Apparently they issue multi-entry on 3% of all the applications.

Spain does indeed not issue the most MEV, it's even lower 1,2%!!

For statistics on Schengen visas (numbers applied for, refused, number of MEV issued etc. see:

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/visa-policy_en#stats

Download the 2015 stats (Excel file) go to the second tab, use the black arrows near the top of each column to filter information.

As a bonus I included the % of visa refused in 2015.

Schengen State Share of MEVs on total number of uniform visas issued Uniform visas not issued Not issued rate for uniform visas
Austria 28,0% 67 0,5%
Belgium 62,9% 462 7,6%
Czech Republic 0,7% 52 0,9%
Denmark 27,8% 458 4,9%
Finland 4,5% 163 1,9%
France 44,6% 2.039 4,6%
Germany 11,5% 1179 2,3%
Greece 12,4% 106 4,1%
Hungary 26,0% 18 0,8%
Italy 25,3% 646 1,9%
Luxembourg 30,8% 1 0,4%
Netherlands 99,6% 352 3,2%
Norway 12,5% 381 3,3%
Poland 5,1% 32 2,1%
Portugal 59,5% 28 2,8%
Slovakia 23,6% 3 2,8%
Spain 1,2% 156 1,1%
Sweden 9,2% 1414 12,2%
Switzerland 10,6% 1173 4,3%

On 5-1-2017 at 1:13 PM, abrahamzvi said:

No, incorrect. A Schengenvisa gives access to all countries that are a member state (unless the sticker explicitly states a restriction). You may enter, travel through or leave via any member state.  So with a Spanish visa you can enter via France perfectly fine.

The Visacode says this:

------------------

Article 5

Member State competent for examining and deciding on an application

1. The Member State competent for examining and deciding on an application for a uniform visa shall be:

(a) the Member State whose territory constitutes the sole destination of the visit(s);

(b) if the visit includes more than one destination, the Member State whose territory constitutes the main destination of the visit(s) in terms of the length or purpose of stay; or

(c) if no main destination can be determined, the Member State whose external border the applicant intends to cross in order to enter the territory of the Member States.

----------------------

Source: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2009:243:0001:0058:EN:PDF

Common sense ofcourse does still apply, if you have a Norwegian issued Schengen visa valid for a week and you travel to Greece. you can fully expect the border security to have some questions for you...  If they think you commited fraud including a unreliable purpose of travel (goal) or such they can refuse entry. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I too am in the process of trying to get a Spanish tourist visa for my Thai Husband. I think i have all of the documents needed but still worried! 

We will be handing in the application form at BLS in about 2 weeks so i will let you know how we get on. Good luck.

Does anybody know if there is an interview when handing in the application?

Thanks. 

20 hours ago, Betty Buck said:

I too am in the process of trying to get a Spanish tourist visa for my Thai Husband. I think i have all of the documents needed but still worried! 

We will be handing in the application form at BLS in about 2 weeks so i will let you know how we get on. Good luck.

Does anybody know if there is an interview when handing in the application?

Thanks. 

My wife just received her Schengen Visa, now we're trying to figure out how to pick up the passport as they won't mail it. We think we have a work around thru a friend and a signed proxy letter. 

From info above I hear the Spanish process is tougher. I had to show every night's hotel booking for our six week tour. I used Booking.com to find places that I could cancel. Make sure you're able to show how you're going to pay for your trip. Portugal wanted the marriage certificate translated and certified. Just a lot of hoops that seem silly but at least it's done at this point. Now we know. 

• 1 month later...

The way the locals get around this 'risk' is they simply pay a travel agent they know to print up a ticket (which of course nowadays is just an itinerary with a booking code and ticket number) for a few hundred Baht.   500 is the going rate last I heard.  The unspoken agreement of course is you'll later actually buy the ticket for them if all is well visa wise.   

Note to the authorities... you should really be calling up to confirm these bookings with the airlines (not sure if that is an invasion of privacy or not... but hey, just sweep that under the in the national security rug) to defend against this.   

14 hours ago, Heng said:

The way the locals get around this 'risk' is they simply pay a travel agent they know to print up a ticket (which of course nowadays is just an itinerary with a booking code and ticket number) for a few hundred Baht.   500 is the going rate last I heard.  The unspoken agreement of course is you'll later actually buy the ticket for them if all is well visa wise.   

Note to the authorities... you should really be calling up to confirm these bookings with the airlines (not sure if that is an invasion of privacy or not... but hey, just sweep that under the in the national security rug) to defend against this.   

Many years ago whilst working in Australia it became apparent that Ozzie airport check-in staff always requested to see on onward ticket from Thailand. One time I purchased a one way ticket to Penang, I then, as the airline suggested, sent the ticket back to them and they reverse transacted the money back to my account.

Another time I had an unused e-ticket on Bangkok Airways to Phnom Penh. I copied and pasted the details into a Notepad document changed the dates and printed it out. I went through Aussie airports about six times with this ticket, all the check-in staff would do is give it a quick glance then hand it back to me.

On 4/2/2017 at 8:51 PM, Heng said:

But...but...by the way, I only paid 200b for the TG's fake itinerary. You don't want to buy a real ticket because returnable tickets are cost much more and who knows if you're actually going to get the visa?  I don't see this as a security issue. It's a game you have to pay to get a visa. They're other checks and balances in place. 

Archived