Friend Overstayed

7 minutes ago, bermannor said:

Normally, when you start early with health insurance, the company put aside some money so at old age the fee increase is minimal. May be not in Thailand. But saying, only the "very" rich can afford health insurance, is nonsense. That might be valid only when you are 70 years or older if they take you at all.

Your last sentence, that is exactly what I mean.

3 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

If she was english she may be entitled to a pension and if she was truly in need I reckon some brits might help her out. But if she is not fretting why should the OP?

If she was English, her pension would be the same now as thirty odd years ago. Annual state pension increases, get it?

Possum, what you meant is not what you wrote. You wrote about fee increases.

And trying to get medical insurance above 70 is insane, specially with a medical history.

Then it is cheaper to pay yourself but still, you have to be rich, specially staying in a foreign country.

14 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

If she was English, her pension would be the same now as thirty odd years ago. Annual state pension increases, get it?

I never quoted you I was commenting on the matter the OP raised about an elderly person in dire straits. Your pension topic is another matter.

2 hours ago, sandgroper2 said:

She has no money,  read again.

I did read it, did you? Her friends help her out with money

Have you got a helpful suggestion for the OP or do you just want to attack those that have?

Typical ThaiVisa I suppose

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Has anybody that age got health insurance? Only the very rich I would think, I do not know the full facts, but this being Thailand, I would think any health insurance company would keep increasing her annual payments until she could not afford it any more.

If she is from the UK, which from the OP it doesn't look like, what was the state pension for a woman thirty odd years ago?

Right. A friend of mine just turned 72 and was kicked out of BUPA - no reasons given and he is still in good health. They sent him a letter offering to renew his wife's policy but declining to renew his. They don't keep their promise to insure you until you die so long as you keep the policy going, it seems.

11 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

I think that the OP should just leave this old lady alone. As NancyL says, the authorities are probably aware of her. Despite what many in this forum say, Thais do have a charitable and kind side, so it's unlikely that they have any intention of throwing such a very old lady in the slammer for overstaying her visa. Deporting an old lady of that age would probably kill her. 

I'm now bracing myself for the usual onslaught of self-styled forum cops, who will be along soon to accuse me of aiding and abetting a hardened visa criminal. ...

If he leaves her alone who is going to help her if she were to get arrested?

She has a good friend in the OP, it seems by your attitude you don't have any friends, if you do let's hope they leave you alone when you need some help

1 hour ago, darrendsd said:

I did read it, did you? Her friends help her out with money

Have you got a helpful suggestion for the OP or do you just want to attack those that have?

Typical ThaiVisa I suppose

Advice is cheap. How much money are you donating ?

58 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Right. A friend of mine just turned 72 and was kicked out of BUPA - no reasons given and he is still in good health. They sent him a letter offering to renew his wife's policy but declining to renew his. They don't keep their promise to insure you until you die so long as you keep the policy going, it seems.

That is one of the reasons I am not renewing my policy this time.

13 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Worthless but worth starting a pointless argument with?

I know people like you also ....

It was not an arguement. it was a point that this poster has as far as I see. Not proved a word of his OP. So why the discussion of helping out a possible figment of OP's imagination?  Cahoots maybe.

40 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

It was not an arguement. it was a point that this poster has as far as I see. Not proved a word of his OP. So why the discussion of helping out a possible figment of OP's imagination?  Cahoots maybe.

Haha even for Thai Visa that is something else

• Like 1

Not joking here just some food for thought.....As a last resort,

Maybe try one of the many visa service offices that have been sprouting up recently .. 

My mate got a 1 year retirement  visa/extention with no money in the bank, Using this service.

I know not same situation but for a price many things can be sorted with Thai immigration using

The Back Door Route........Good Luck

4 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I would think that if you truly like her than help her the best you can and I think the Thai authorities would not come down hard on her at all if they catch up to her. I think she will get care at government hospitals without having to worry. Please post again if she gets in trouble as I would like to help.

How would you verify the claims of the OP though without inadvertently getting Granny in trouble? Has this type of help been done before on thaivisa? Sorry but I seen a few of these and they are normally posted by members with very little time served on the forum. So it's hard to see these claims as genuine.

Even if posters are time served I personally would want assurances that any support would be to a worthwhile cause. So if anyone can explain how you get it to the next step I'd be interested to hear.

I mean for all I know it could be just some ploy from someone trying to scrape some cash together for them self. 

12 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I would think that if you truly like her than help her the best you can and I think the Thai authorities would not come down hard on her at all if they catch up to her. I think she will get care at government hospitals without having to worry. Please post again if she gets in trouble as I would like to help.

I believe immigration will most likely turn a blind eye as long as she creates no trouble. However, it is unlikely that she would receive much treatment at Thai government hospitals. They are generally strapped for cash, and ration care even to Thai nationals, especially elderly ones.

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I believe immigration will most likely turn a blind eye as long as she creates no trouble. However, it is unlikely that she would receive much treatment at Thai government hospitals. They are generally strapped for cash, and ration care even to Thai nationals, especially elderly ones.

Up here in the jungle they will treat you for pennies at the government hospitals. I know many who use them but I prefer to go private as I value my time.

• Like 2