Friend Overstayed

1 minute ago, Grubster said:

Yes I agree and I assure you I don't give money to anybody unless I see the situation first hand, which I would be willing to go see. I can also tell you that I never give money to the big international charities since I found out how much actually gets to the cause, usually less than 20%.

I give a bit to cats and dogs charity in UK each month. I think your right about big charities. 

• Like 1

I think the expat's community, should really try to find a way to help out the way they can, in similar cases, there are so many of us living here long term, and just a little contribution can go a long way.

Any of us can get into trouble in a way or another at some point of our permanence, wouldn't just be wonderful if something can be done about it?

While at the same time, ALWAYS keeping an open eye onto  another kind of expat....http://www.harrisblackwatch.com/

23 minutes ago, Mangostin said:

I think the expat's community, should really try to find a way to help out the way they can, in similar cases, there are so many of us living here long term, and just a little contribution can go a long way.

Any of us can get into trouble in a way or another at some point of our permanence, wouldn't just be wonderful if something can be done about it?

While at the same time, ALWAYS keeping an open eye onto  another kind of expat....http://www.harrisblackwatch.com/

Yes your right but what about this harris binotti guy. how come no one has done nothing to help people identify a suspected killer of a family man?  No height or weight info and this HB chap I'm referring to changed his FB photo to one that seems to be doing the rounds or I should say for about a week and the guys apparently in thailand. So fair to say he mafe some changes to conceal his identity in real life. Seriously how come stiff like this is not pushed harder on forums like this. Protects the members interests. Stuff like this needs a voice not an after thought like that farang deaths website 

57 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Yes I agree and I assure you I don't give money to anybody unless I see the situation first hand, which I would be willing to go see. I can also tell you that I never give money to the big international charities since I found out how much actually gets to the cause, usually less than 20%.

As a general rule, I think you are right about the larger charities. There are exceptions, and it is worthwhile bearing in mind that smaller charities are unable to respond to some challenges. An example of a big charity that I believe deserves support is Doctors Without Borders. They are about as efficient as they reasonably can be given the nature of their work, and provide services that are absolutely essential in many of the areas where they work. As an example, the Ebola epidemic would have been far worse without their early work on the ground to help limit the spread of the disease.

When considering whether to support a specific charity, I suggest reviewing details on the charity at Charity Navigator. Here, as an example, are the details for Doctors Without Borders, USAhttps://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3628.

10 hours ago, darrendsd said:

If he leaves her alone who is going to help her if she were to get arrested?

She has a good friend in the OP, it seems by your attitude you don't have any friends, if you do let's hope they leave you alone when you need some help

If she gets arrested, then help her. Drawing attention to her predicament now will likely result in her arrest and she will likely then be deported. The authorities are very unlikely to go after such a very old woman so best leave her alone. 

You seem to have a habit of sniping at all the posters here, so I won't dignify the nonsense partof your post with a response. Suffice to say that well-meaning friends can often make a situation worse. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, darrendsd said:

Why? Are you? Don't forget to scan a copy of the proof on here

Im donating as much as i would if someone wanted a life saving operation here. Zero. Ive worked, saved, and cover my own ars. If someone doesnt want to do the same. tough.

There is a picture being painted here of a helpless little old lady who has been ripped off and is now stranded in Thailand. OP states that she has lived in Thailand for 40 years. That means a conscious decision to move here 40 years ago, and stay, somehow she has supported herself and met immigration requirements etc, for 40 years. 

At what age do you become exempt from the usual immigration laws and penalties ?

At what age are you no longer responsible for your own welfare and circumstances ?

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

There is a picture being painted here of a helpless little old lady who has been ripped off and is now stranded in Thailand. OP states that she has lived in Thailand for 40 years. That means a conscious decision to move here 40 years ago, somehow she has supported herself and met immigration requirements etc, for 40 years. 

At what age do you become exempt from the usual immigration laws and penalties ?

Good question surley after a certain age and long time here you would think there be no need for visas.over 80 and 40 years she deserves a medal and free visa 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandgroper2 said:

Im donating as much as i would if someone wanted a life saving operation here. Zero. Ive worked, saved, and cover my own ars. If someone doesnt want to do the same. tough.

I completely disagree with that, life constantly prove to us that an individual can never be in total control of what it's going to happen to them, no matter how well you make your plans or how wealthy you might be, sometime might just be karma....live and learn

• Like 2

1 hour ago, true blue said:

Good question surley after a certain age and long time here you would think there be no need for visas.over 80 and 40 years she deserves a medal and free visa 

40 years and no looking back. She is Thai. End of. Give her a passport and pension and PR the sh it out of it and make thailand a happy smiley place on the face of it. (Tourism)

• Like 2

I know a guy that was in Thailand on a 10 year overstay. He was very old, homeless and became broke and very ill. The Thai people were actually feeding him and it came to the point that the Thai people actually contacted immigration about this guy because he was so sick and they took him to the hospital, which got him well enough to go to the American Embassy with immigration officials in toe. The hospital waved all the fees, immigration did not charge him the overstay fine or bring him to IDC but he has been banned for 10 years and the American Embassy paid for his flight back to America. He is now back in America, healthy, living in government type housing and paid his social security. Every month he has to pay back $50.00 to the government for the reimbursement of the flight. True story.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

There is a picture being painted here of a helpless little old lady who has been ripped off and is now stranded in Thailand. OP states that she has lived in Thailand for 40 years. That means a conscious decision to move here 40 years ago, and stay, somehow she has supported herself and met immigration requirements etc, for 40 years. 

At what age are you no longer responsible for your own welfare and circumstances ?

It happens at the age when you become non compose mentis which happens to every oldster who doesn't die from something else first. You and I are going there if we don't die from something else first. You cling to life because it's all you have left and you ain't giving that up without a fight. You won't know who what or where you are but you're not giving it up. I've seen it many times in my life and I hope I live to experience that stage, it may very well be the point where you reaching Nirvana.

1 hour ago, ldiablo72 said:

I know a guy that was in Thailand on a 10 year overstay. He was very old, homeless and became broke and very ill. The Thai people were actually feeding him and it came to the point that the Thai people actually contacted immigration about this guy because he was so sick and they took him to the hospital, which got him well enough to go to the American Embassy with immigration officials in toe. The hospital waved all the fees, immigration did not charge him the overstay fine or bring him to IDC but he has been banned for 10 years and the American Embassy paid for his flight back to America. He is now back in America, healthy, living in government type housing and paid his social security. Every month he has to pay back $50.00 to the government for the reimbursement of the flight. True story.

Yes, exactly.  I know of this happening with others.  This is why I asked the OP about the woman's nationality.  Different countries have different policies of how they can help their nationals once they get into problems here.

Another thought came into mind about this lady.  The OP mentioned she has outlived three husbands.  If any of these men were former military, even for a short period of time, she may be due a widow's pension or assistance from a military group like Royal British Legion or the American Veterans of Foreign Wars.  

All those "nosy" questions I asked in my first post on this thread (that were met with hostility by the OP) are indeed relevant.  Part of what we do when first meeting with someone asking for assistance with Lanna Care Net is to interview them about their past and current situation to see where avenues of assistance may be available.  There are more resources available here than most people realize and person's nationality and past history can have a big bearing on what's available for them.

• Like 1

On 06/01/2017 at 10:41 AM, Eff1n2ret said:

I wonder if the OP has informed the lady concerned that he has posted her (non-existent) predicament on a public forum for the entertainment of all and sundry. Old folks can be remarkably cranky - she might just tell him to burger off and mind his own business.

I'm glad you find this entertaining.

Yes, I've told my friend, who is worrying, that I'm looking online to find out what would happen if she gets caught without a visa and what the best plan of action is. She has never used the internet, she says.

• Like 1

Again, thanks for all the nice replies. 

Of course, we'll advise her to stay well away from immigration and if she is ever caught, we have a good lawyer on standby.

I'd like to thank all the PMs and personal offers of donations which shows that posters here are very kind, compassionate people.

One special member thinks I am meddlesome, with no right to post. I was warned there were some irrational people on internet forums.