Newbie Stupid question: Are the locals friendly?

what2do

26 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

I find the 'odd' drunks too friendly. They smile and continue their one-sided conversation and never understand that you cannot understand a word they say.

If they are obviously drunk, I won't even let them start a conversation, I just tell them to <deleted>> off, that would also apply to Farangs.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Berkshire said:

You're right OP, your thread question is a stupid one.  But seriously, if you treat people with dignity and respect, you'll most likely get the same in return.  Same in your homeland, no?

As for merchants, ask yourself this:  If a tourist who you will never see again is willing/happy to pay you 200 bt for your product, why would you charge them 150? 

I treated the local coconut  seller  with dignity and respect, this is coconut pieces for the garden as a mulch...............80 baht a  big  bag, went the other day alone   he wanted 120 baht per bag, went  back with Wife I  stayed in the pick up 80 baht a bag. Ive respectfully stopped  going there now.

31 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, I was aware of that. Probably should have said small pensions etc. I was trying to make the point that countries with low or no welfare often have a higher petty crime rate. People do scams to eat.

people do  scams  as  they  are LAZY/GREEDY not because they have to eat

19 minutes ago, kannot said:

I treated the local coconut  seller  with dignity and respect, this is coconut pieces for the garden as a mulch...............80 baht a  big  bag, went the other day alone   he wanted 120 baht per bag, went  back with Wife I  stayed in the pick up 80 baht a bag. Ive respectfully stopped  going there now.

Dignity and respect is no match for the Thai Baht.

If you are Farang, the assumption is your are rich.  If you are rich Farang, the assumption is you are morally obliged to help the poor.  

So if the poor offer you the opportunity to help them and you refuse, you are not giving face to them.  Bear in mind that by offering you the opportunity to help the poor, they are being kind and giving you the opportunity to "tam boon" aka accumulate credit.

If you help, the poor will award you an honorary title, one that only the poor can bestow upon you - jai dee (kind heart).  The more jai dee badges you receive from the poor, the easier for you to integrate into their society.  But it also means you must practise the transformer robot art and be ready to transform yourself into a walking ATM when called upon.

If you don't know how to appreciate a toast of whisky, then you will like be served the poisoned chalice.  It's the land of smiles, with many a smiling tiger.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

"but stay away from thai men when they are drinking". If that's the way you think, what about men who are drinking in any UK city?

"or when Thai men drive".  I will go along with that one.

Because if you upset a U.K. Man you might get a slap ,if you upset a Thai you probably get all the rest of them kick you untill your dead 

Generally everywhere in the world people would try to cheat you in business deal, that is normal, of course not all the time, not by all the people. You may be lucky to meet good people (very small chance of course) or you were one of the sucker born every minute like what people always say.

Because I was not greedy I didn't fall into the trap the Laos people set up for me.

In Laos(in Vientiane to be exact) I met 2 people who were trying to set me up. One is a lady who owns a supermarket. She asked me to go have a look and choose the equipment I need for the business and she would buy them.

All the while I felt strange because there was no mention of any written contract for partnership. She talked and behaved in such a way that you would think she was interested in the business and even asked you to choose the equipment which she would pay so you get all excited.

She was waiting for me to put in my cash because she knew I was desperate to get a partner because I am a foreigner and I need a Local to be a partner for the business. In the end my intuition told me to just drop the deal and walked away.

I later had reliable informations by some locals that she had cheated some people in business deal.

In any cheating case in Laos I feel that foreigners just don't stand any chance in the court if you sue them . They got the police and everybody on their side. Their job is to squeeze you dry and even kick you out of the country.( I heard of that).

If you are not greedy or make hasty decision you are unlikely to be cheated, you may see through the trap set for you. If you are naive and greedy you are what they are looking for. Laos and Thailand are not countries for doing business if you are wise. The con-artists are always looking at you, sizing you up  and you are completely unaware of them.

2 minutes ago, madusa said:

Generally everywhere in the world people would try to cheat you in business deal, that is normal, of course not all the time, not by all the people. You may be lucky to meet good people (very small chance of course) or you were one of the sucker born every minute like what people always say.

Because I was not greedy I didn't fall into the trap the Laos people set up for me.

In Laos(in Vientiane to be exact) I met 2 people who were trying to set me up. One is a lady who owns a supermarket. She asked me to go have a look and choose the equipment I need for the business and she would buy them.

All the while I felt strange because there was no mention of any written contract for partnership. She talked and behaved in such a way that you would think she was interested in the business and even asked you to choose the equipment which she would pay so you get all excited.

She was waiting for me to put in my cash because she knew I was desperate to get a partner because I am a foreigner and I need a Local to be a partner for the business. In the end my intuition told me to just drop the deal and walked away.

I later had reliable informations by some locals that she had cheated some people in business deal.

In any cheating case in Laos I feel that foreigners just don't stand any chance in the court if you sue them . They got the police and everybody on their side. Their job is to squeeze you dry and even kick you out of the country.( I heard of that).

If you are not greedy or make hasty decision you are unlikely to be cheated, you may see through the trap set for you. If you are naive and greedy you are what they are looking for. Laos and Thailand are not countries for doing business if you are wise. The con-artists are always looking at you, sizing you up  and you are completely unaware of them.

What is the connection between the Laotian lady owning a supermarket, you buying an equipment, she paying for it, and you would get cheated ???

What and where was the trap ?

28 minutes ago, whatproblem said:

Because if you upset a U.K. Man you might get a slap ,if you upset a Thai you probably get all the rest of them kick you untill your dead 

Yes, very true about the Thai, but I don't think any one UK man, will get away with giving me a slap, and in the off chance he did, I always kept a pick axe handle handy, though as I am not a troublemaker, I have never had to use it.

8 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, very true about the Thai, but I don't think any one UK man, will get away with giving me a slap, and in the off chance he did, I always kept a pick axe handle handy, though as I am not a troublemaker, I have never had to use it.

What happened to fighting with fists ,I have never used a tool in a fight wether winning or losing, I know times are changing but I'm still in my 40s

On 04/01/2017 at 8:48 AM, Berkshire said:

I can honestly say that I've never taken a scale into a restaurant to weigh the fish that I ordered. 

I believe there may be some misunderstanding here. When they weigh the fish for you in China or Hong Kong the fish is not gutted, that means the whole fish with the guts intact. The guy scoop up the fish from the tank and ask you is that ok with you. And you said yes. Then he put it on the scale and it's 1 kilos - the whole fish with the guts remember? In the kitchen they gutted the fish so the fish came to 700 grams or may be a little more than that. And after deep frying the fish the fish seems smaller than when you saw it earlier.

10 minutes ago, madusa said:

I believe there may be some misunderstanding here. When they weigh the fish for you in China or Hong Kong the fish is not gutted, that means the whole fish with the guts intact. The guy scoop up the fish from the tank and ask you is that ok with you. And you said yes. Then he put it on the scale and it's 1 kilos - the whole fish with the guts remember? In the kitchen they gutted the fish so the fish came to 700 grams or may be a little more than that. And after deep frying the fish the fish seems smaller than when you saw it earlier.

It would be helpful if you included the post I was responding to (a little harder these days on TV).  The guy didn't explain it in that way.  But if what you say is true, that it's standard practice in China, then I'm not sure what the guy was complaining about. 

4 minutes ago, whatproblem said:

What happened to fighting with fists ,I have never used a tool in a fight wether winning or losing, I know times are changing but I'm still in my 40s

If you are not a troublemaker, then anyone who deliberately causes trouble with you, deserve all they get, and to hell with the Queensferry Rules.

There are no rules in street fighting. When I was young, when at school and after, and anyone challenged me to a fight, I just hit them hard on the spot. It did not happen very often, but the reason I would never go for a "square go" with anybody, was in case they beat me. Why should I go and take the chance of a beating when I never wanted or tried to cause any trouble in the first place?

3 hours ago, thairookie said:

If you are Farang, the assumption is your are rich.  If you are rich Farang, the assumption is you are morally obliged to help the poor.  

So if the poor offer you the opportunity to help them and you refuse, you are not giving face to them.  Bear in mind that by offering you the opportunity to help the poor, they are being kind and giving you the opportunity to "tam boon" aka accumulate credit.

If you help, the poor will award you an honorary title, one that only the poor can bestow upon you - jai dee (kind heart).  The more jai dee badges you receive from the poor, the easier for you to integrate into their society.  But it also means you must practise the transformer robot art and be ready to transform yourself into a walking ATM when called upon.

If you don't know how to appreciate a toast of whisky, then you will like be served the poisoned chalice.  It's the land of smiles, with many a smiling tiger.

You mistake "poor" for  "GREEDY" and "jai dee" for  "sucker"......if the guy's so poor  how come he weighs about 150kilos, he can hardly walk for his lard

Ten jai dee badges equals one gren jai badge.

Ten gren jai badges equals biggest sucker in the neighborhood.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

You sure do appear to have major issues poss..so many posts where you talk the talk of a tough guy re; possible/probable repercussions to all and sundry on so many threads , but say you are not a "troublemaker" . You sure do find yourself in a lot of troublesome situations tho.

The words "keyboard warrior" seem to suit.

PS Love the story about the guy who took you for 100baht, and you scared him away from his site by pretending to talk to someone??? on your phone...

Didn't you have your pick axe handle handy on that day?

So easy to talk the talk on a forum.

On 05/01/2017 at 1:16 AM, thairookie said:

What is the connection between the Laotian lady owning a supermarket, you buying an equipment, she paying for it, and you would get cheated ???

On 05/01/2017 at 1:16 AM, thairookie said:

This lady asked me to go and choose the equipment and look at the shop for rental , later she would ask me for my share of the capital. She was waiting for the money from me. She knew I was desperate for a local partner.

If I had paid her the money that's it . She never had the intention  to buy any equipment or go into the business we were discussing. I later found out the shop that sells the equipment belongs to her family(not her husband side). So she could produce a receipt of purchase if she needed one.

Anyway it's my gut feeling something is not right. Usually after the whole thing is over you think about it you do get the real picture clearly. And if you check the background you could get some informations. You get a sour taste in your mouth.

Don't need a pickaxe handle in Thailand, never ever came across a trouble maker here. Also, a keyboard warrior is someone who is nasty to people from behind a keyboard saying things he would not dare say to their faces, anything I say to someone through my keyboard, I would say to their face. I can assure you of that.

Nice to see someone following my posts, why did you not vote for me in the POTY?

On 04/01/2017 at 4:45 AM, KittenKong said:

I have no idea what "friendly" means here. What I would say, based on nearly 40 years' experience, is never trust anyone in Thailand regardless of skin colour or nationality. As long as you bear that in mind you can have loads of friends here without needing to worry too much.

Yes, don't trust anyone. But there are times you wouldn't know what to do. Your thai friend brought you to the hospital to see his mum on a respirator, she is like almost going but not quite .

He asked you to borrow him 1,000 baht to tie him over this difficult time. Do I trust him? My soft part of the heart said give him the money and don't ask for repayment.

On 04/01/2017 at 9:32 PM, Peterw42 said:

Yes, I was aware of that. Probably should have said small pensions etc. I was trying to make the point that countries with low or no welfare often have a higher petty crime rate. People do scams to eat.

Please take that picture off. That woman is not taking off the superman T-shirt and it is distracting. If you want a picture like that let it be one that take off the T-shirt and not too much shaking movement. I feel sick when i look at it. Simply not in good taste. It could be done in an artistic way.

7 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I few years ago, one morning, at a stall in a Pattaya market, I bought something and was shortchange by exactly 100Bt, I then said to the guy " I am 100Bt short in my change", he said "no! no!, I said OK, walked a few steps away and stood watching him making sure he could see me, I pretended to speak on my mobile, stood watching him again, then again pretended to speak on my mobile, after a little while, I just walked away.

Later that afternoon I was walking past that same stall, and he was not there, I asked another stallholder where he was, "he go away this morning and not come back". Maybe he will now be wary of shortchanging people again.

What a wonderful story. You seem to have no end to your tales of woe & intrigue. 

Maybe he will now be wary of shortchanging people again.

Are you suggesting that the agent 007 routine with your mobile sent him packing, never to return? Imagination is such a fascinating thing.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

If you are not a troublemaker, then anyone who deliberately causes trouble with you, deserve all they get, and to hell with the Queensferry Rules.

There are no rules in street fighting. When I was young, when at school and after, and anyone challenged me to a fight, I just hit them hard on the spot. It did not happen very often, but the reason I would never go for a "square go" with anybody, was in case they beat me. Why should I go and take the chance of a beating when I never wanted or tried to cause any trouble in the first place?

I agree with what your saying if attacked and was not wanting to fight and here if attacked you are fighting for your life 

On 05/01/2017 at 4:33 AM, Suradit69 said:

What a wonderful story. You seem to have no end to your tales of woe & intrigue. 

Are you suggesting that the agent 007 routine with your mobile sent him packing, never to return? Imagination is such a fascinating thing.

I believe if the BIB do not help the Thais then the BIB would be considered a traitor to the country. The Thais know the BIB is on their side.

What’s with all this talk about fighting?

Only once in my adult life have I been close to getting into a fight, it was in Thailand, yet the guy who wanted to fight me was an Englishman (who I did not know) and his mates had to physically hold him back.

39 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

No, I wanted him to think I was calling his boss or someone in authority. This happened years ago, not long after I came to Thailand to stay. I was warned never to argue or get angry if any Thai person tried to cheat me as I would never win, today, I believe that is still the case. 

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Don't need a pickaxe handle in Thailand, never ever came across a trouble maker here. Also, a keyboard warrior is someone who is nasty to people from behind a keyboard saying things he would not dare say to their faces, anything I say to someone through my keyboard, I would say to their face. I can assure you of that.

Nice to see someone following my posts, why did you not vote for me in the POTY?

Hah, not following your posts at all .

Just that being an observant guy, i notice your frequent "wanna-be tough guy quips"

They stand out amongst all the other posts, that's all.

I'm not sure about the meaning of voting for you in the POTY.?? lost me there.

But i will attest that IMO you do indeed appear to be quite potty.

46 minutes ago, whatproblem said:

I agree with what your saying if attacked and was not wanting to fight and here if attacked you are fighting for your life 

I have never had a problem with any Thai person in the eleven years I have been here, I know about the Thai odds when it comes to fighting, but again, these Thais are not going to come after you for no reason, although there is always the exception, you are taking chances with everything you do in your life, sometimes even breaking a law that is very unfair, you have always got to look after yourself, the most important thing is always use your common sense.

Archived