Thai leaders say general election on track for this year

webfact

Thai leaders say general election on track for this year

BANGKOK: -- Thai Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan said on Wednesday a general election will be held this year after doubts were raised by a member of the national legislative assembly.

Thailand's next polls will restore civilian rule following a 2014 coup, and will be the first under a new constitution, approved in a referendum last year, that critics say will ensure military oversight of elected governments.

"We can't move it. It has its time frame. What the National Legislative Assembly has said is their problem," Prawit, who is also defence minister, told reporters in Bangkok.

Full story: http://in.reuters.com/article/thailand-politics-idINKBN14O0IV

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-01-05

Would like to see elections but I wonder how can they be put together to give enough time for people to campaign. Maybe the shorter campaigning time will be a bonus for the people seeing how the long campaign in the US turned out!

38 minutes ago, kamahele said:

Would like to see elections but I wonder how can they be put together to give enough time for people to campaign. Maybe the shorter campaigning time will be a bonus for the people seeing how the long campaign in the US turned out!

there will be mass demonstrations from the reds when they see how un-free the elections are. pretty sure they will be aiming for a very short amount of time between announcing the elections and running them. just hope the sham is run during low season. 

From the man you can never believe, Unelected  DMP Pawtwit, along with the versatile Section 44 anything's possible , with a Junta they will only tell the People of Thailand what they think they should know , which is SFA of nothing.......................................:coffee1:

1 hour ago, kamahele said:

Most countries seem able to do it in a few weeks but I  suppose that because they actually want to have an election.

2 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

Having a General Election is one thing, but understanding what democrasy is about another unanswered question of Thailand. To prove my point, in less than 5 years there will be another military coup.

If there is another one within five years it will be against this one as he has said he will be the final decider of any elections for the next eight years.

6 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

there will be mass demonstrations from the reds when they see how un-free the elections are. pretty sure they will be aiming for a very short amount of time between announcing the elections and running them. just hope the sham is run during low season. 

no it wont most of red shirt scum are total cowards and i doubt Taksin will be able to pay for a revolt so easily this time. Also most thais are perfectly happy without all problems Taksins scumbags caused before. Its probable theirs even been a deal between Army Taksin and rest as usual. Most of reds shirt leaders have been told if thye want to play hard thye risk loosing their ill gotten hordes of loot and so have gone to hide under rocks they camr from. You know very little about how things work here.

3 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

Having a General Election is one thing, but understanding what democrasy is about another unanswered question of Thailand. To prove my point, in less than 5 years there will be another military coup.

if country is in danger of disintegrating yes the army will take over and save it as it always has done thank goodness but their will be no repeat of mistakes after 2006 coup this time. 

Edited by icare999

1 hour ago, icare999 said:

no it wont most of red shirt scum are total cowards and i doubt Taksin will be able to pay for a revolt so easily this time. Also most thais are perfectly happy without all problems Taksins scumbags caused before. Its probable theirs even been a deal between Army Taksin and rest as usual. Most of reds shirt leaders have been told if thye want to play hard thye risk loosing their ill gotten hordes of loot and so have gone to hide under rocks they camr from. You know very little about how things work here.

ying luck is not hiding under a rock. she would probably win an election if she was allowed to run, not that it will matter as her and her brother can just nominate another candidate. reds have rioted before and they will riot again, either that or there will be bombings. why do you think the army keeps delaying the elections? 

saw your comment about the army saving the day. thailand is in a very bad way and its getting worse. 

19 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

Ah the military coup, that great bedrock of democracy in Thailand....... according to some on here.

23 hours ago, icare999 said:

if country is in danger of disintegrating yes the army will take over and save it as it always has done thank goodness but their will be no repeat of mistakes after 2006 coup this time. 

Over the last 100 years their have been many forms of uprisings, which includes elements of the military mutinying to follow the people.

most soldiers in Thailand come from the north and northeast. What side do you think they would join if it started?