Is it normally raining in January ?

balo

I have never experienced January in Chiang Mai , but I am surprised that we've not seen a clear blue sky since last month .  

I was expecting and looking forward to the cold weather but not all the rainy days.  So is this special this year?

In Bangkok/Pattaya we do not see any rain at this time of the year. 

Climate - changes by the hour, if not by the minute.....Has for millions of years.....Will for many more....

January rain is not uncommon here....Enjoy it while it is - the heat will soon be back.....

3 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Not normally in Jan and  only very minimal over the winter period .

Yes I was thinking the same. In the south we have no rain between December and March but on rare days it do happen . 

Edited by balo

Last year about this time we also had a period of cold and rainy drizzle and the arthritis kicked up in my neck to where I needed physio-therapy and got a nasty skin burn on a shoulder from sleeping with a heating pad.  To me, it's very bone-chilling now, or so it seems, but when I look at the little weather station in our condo, I see that it's 23 deg C and 60% RH.  Hmm, I guess my blood has thinned down.  

16 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

And because I washed the car. 

But what's stopping you from cycling actually?  Tour the France is often a lot colder. ;)

Im a big pussy when it comes to cycling down the mountain in the wet

I'm surprised that the OP couldn't just Google historical climate conditions for Chiang Mai, but then why do that if some knob like me will do it for him? 

Precipitation The average monthly amount of precipitation has been recorded at around 3 mm, that's 0 inches. Throughout the month you can expect to see rain or drizzle falling on 1 days of the month.

" For January expect the sun to shine for an average of 10 hours per day. This represents the average number of hours in the daytime that the sun is visible and not obscured by cloud e.g. the average number of hours the sun is actually out and shining."

Average Rainfall for Chiang Mai, Thailand

So the answer to your question is no, it's not normal. 

Actually I'm still surprised , very rainy and wet outside. 

I don't mind the cold weather , but I told my visiting guests I could guarantee them sunshine in January .

When will it get back to normal ? 

Be thankfull we are not down south.From Bangsaphan (2 .5 hours drive south from Hua Hin) the whole area has been ravaged by tropical rain for the second time in 2 months.The rail line from Hua Hin south has been washed away in 5 places.

Bangsaphan is our favourite get away, beach side oasis and the videos we have seen over the last 2 days are hard to believe. In town 2 dams burst their banks and the 3rd water had to be released as they feared it would basically collapse,akin to an inland tsunami.

Bangsaphan Hospital had to be evacuated and everything moved up to the second floor.

Apparently places like Kho Samui have received a deluge of similar proportions. As this is obvious the high season the economic cost to businesses and rebuilding roads,bridges etc will be huge.

Regarding CM while showers can be received in January I think over the last 7 days it must be nudging some sort of record.