Locations for Teaching in Thailand.

So in April I'm taking the big plunge and going from teaching in England, to teaching in Thailand. I currently teach Physical Education as well as supply teaching at an Independent School, holding a University Degree in something not quite related to education. I'm going to be doing a TEFL Course in Koh Samui during April, I know it's not a neccessity in Thailand but I feel having that hands on experience within the country will boost my CV more. Now I've been visiting Koh Samui for over 10 years with my family (I'm 22 years old) , I like to see it as a second home and I have many friends who live out here. Unfortunatley I've lodged this notion into my head that teaching in Koh Samui would be a dream come true, not because it's like a holiday (I know it won't be), but because it's a place I've been fond of for so many years.

I plan on finishing the TEFL course and going door to door of all the schools in the hope that there is a job avaliable. I know that this is a long shot as teaching jobs on an tropical island are near impossible to get, so I have been trying to create a plan B. Obviously Bangkok looks like the best second option, lots of jobs avaliable, fantastic night-life and lots to do on the weekends, but could you guys recommend any other locations in Thailand for Teaching, that have just been perfect for you?. For me, I would love a place where I would never be in my apartment on the weekend andI'm not being stared at for being the only farang in town etc. A lot of people reccomend Phuket, but then again isn't that just a tourist place where every man and his dog want to spend a year out teaching?

I've been offerd a job in May in Surat Thani, any-one taught there before? Should I prepare myself for the idea that I could come to Thailand for the 3 months I will be there and not even land a teaching job at all !?

*For the record, I'm not looking to teach in Thailand so I can travel a little longer, I very much care about teaching and my career, I'm just really really really really tired of the UK.

What is your ultimate goal? Do you plan to just be here in Thailand for a few years, or is this something you want to turn into a career? If the former, you don't need to worry too much about finding employment, particularly if you're comfortable with a more relaxed, simple lifestyle. Plenty of 30,000 - 40,000 baht/month positions are available, and you would probably be able to find one shortly after you arrive if you don't already have something lined up. The timing would be about right as well since Thai schools would be gearing up for the next school year. Though many of them will have already finished hiring, plenty struggle to find teachers up until the last minute.

On the other hand, I'd recommend more careful planning if you want to stay here for the long term. With some teaching experience already under your belt in the UK, you have a leg up over many others. What is your degree in? If related to health and fitness, that qualification combined with your experience would make you an ideal candidate for a PE teaching position at a low-tier or possibly mid-tier international school, as they often hire teachers without licenses in their home countries. You could then aim to earn the necessary qualifications to earn a permanent Thai teaching license and begin moving up the chain to better schools.

Assuming you want to be here for the foreseeable future, the second option provides far more opportunity for advancement. Even smaller international schools will often pay substantially more than government schools or language institutes, with some exceptions on both sides. Having teaching experience in one also makes you more marketable to better schools and provides a greater degree of transience, as you can then relocate outside of Thailand and teach in other countries if you want to explore the world a bit more.

Finally, as to the location, it really does depend on your preference. As you just saw, Scott and others are often very happy to help pass on information about potential opportunities, and even small towns often have available positions. Bangkok is undoubtedly the easiest if you want to make sure you can lock in a job, but it also is more expensive if you opt to teach ESL/EFL.

If you care about your career, don't teach in Thailand and definitely don't just be an EFL teacher.

Though you are young and probably won't listen to any advice and just came here to get support on how to do what you want to do, I will play devils advocate a little.

1st. Don't do any TEFL class that is in a resort town. Getting a CELTA before you leave the UK would be the best bet, however save your money and get a PGCE and QTS before making the trip to asia would be the most advantageous. 

Ignore the leg up on others because you have some experience. Get real 3-5 years teaching experience in your home country. Then make the transition to international schools.  Come to Thailand for your holidays and enjoy yourself.  Teaching here will burn you out as fast as it does everywhere else. You will not enjoy the beach every day nor will you have time nor energy to enjoy nightlife if you are really building yourself professionally. Its no different than back home if you are working in a proper school with professional development.

If you are looking to work some crap language school teaching basic conversation, then yes, you will have lots of time to get drunk and party on the beach, but you are not going to develop any real teaching skills that way.  Endless summer lifestyle is for deadbeats and not professional teachers.

Personally I recommend China right now for international schools. They are booming and offer very good salaries and professional development. Make your bones there for a few years while getting your masters in education and then come to Thailand to teach at one of the mid tier or top international schools.

5 hours ago, zeichen said:

If you care about your career, don't teach in Thailand and definitely don't just be an EFL teacher.

Though you are young and probably won't listen to any advice and just came here to get support on how to do what you want to do, I will play devils advocate a little.

1st. Don't do any TEFL class that is in a resort town. Getting a CELTA before you leave the UK would be the best bet, however save your money and get a PGCE and QTS before making the trip to asia would be the most advantageous. 

Ignore the leg up on others because you have some experience. Get real 3-5 years teaching experience in your home country. Then make the transition to international schools.  Come to Thailand for your holidays and enjoy yourself.  Teaching here will burn you out as fast as it does everywhere else. You will not enjoy the beach every day nor will you have time nor energy to enjoy nightlife if you are really building yourself professionally. Its no different than back home if you are working in a proper school with professional development.

If you are looking to work some crap language school teaching basic conversation, then yes, you will have lots of time to get drunk and party on the beach, but you are not going to develop any real teaching skills that way.  Endless summer lifestyle is for deadbeats and not professional teachers.

Personally I recommend China right now for international schools. They are booming and offer very good salaries and professional development. Make your bones there for a few years while getting your masters in education and then come to Thailand to teach at one of the mid tier or top international schools.

This is excellent advice

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

17 hours ago, zeichen said:

What Zeichen says in the end. You can certainly come to Thailand to teach. You will most likely have a great experience. Just make sure you get properly certified (and get a bit of experience after that) and then apply to the better schools here. At least if you are considering teaching as a career. You will enjoy much better benefits and you won't have to worry about non existing savings and insurance as much.

Just adding here....beware of Chinese English Schools, some are a bit... challenging... You would work 6 days a week.   As I recall it was SAT to 2 pm.

Yes, would agree cut your teeth here with teaching experience, go on to your MA...

Schools (INT) very selective....good foot forward, cheers mate

Thank you to everyone for their advice and words of wisdom, it really has helped.

1) It's refreshing to hear that International Schools are on the hunt for P.E Teachers, for some strange reason I had always imagined you had to be a Thai National to teach P.E in Thailand. Knowing this has put me in a better perspective, because the idea of hanging up the football boots and sports bag doesn't sit right with me, hence why with this other Thailand job offer I enquired about running an after-school sports club. 

2) I can really appreciate the comments regarding not moving out to Thailand straight away if I care about my teaching career. I've read countless articles & blogs about teachers with just a degree and TEFL certificate being stuck on 30,000 BHT jobs on 10 month contracts with no career progression.   

My plan ( feel free to pick bones at it) is to -

. Spend a year or two starting this May 2017 in just a basic English Teaching job in Thailand (no matter where) with just my TEFL certificate and Degree, maybe running some sports clubs if I'm not burned out! 

.Come back to the UK and gain my PGCE (I'd be 24-25 at this time), as well as some other teaching &  sporting qualifications that I've always wanted. 

. Become more marketable to International Schools in Thailand and other Asian countries, in the hope that I can be out here in a much better position than I was at a Thai Government School.  - (Now this is where you pick holes in the plan) 

For those of who have asked what my Ultimate Goal is - My ultimate goal for a number of years was always to be a teacher in a foreign country, whilst running free sports classes and games  for underprivileged  children on the weekends. (I know, I know, I'm young and still living in dreamland, but if I could achieve any goal in my life - it would be along the lines of that.)

Ive been here 16 years and would never recomend Thailand for teaching 

no will no persistance no interest no culture ,once they know their alphabet after 10 years ,they think they can retire. Sory to say.

Vietnam or even Laos or Cambodia if you stand poverty ,should be much more interesting.

Hey,

As the Hiring Director for a large private school in northern Thailand, I can say for a fact you are a bit late.  School year for us, and many other schools ends mid March, at which time year-end break begins.  It continues until the start of school the first week of May.  Therefore, I start the hiring process mid January, shooting for completion before break begins.  The only thing I will be doing during April is staying out of the way of flying ice cubes and relaxing in the screen room.  Just some information to dwell upon.  Wish you luck!  Cheers....  Doc

Jiggyfly, I am not a teacher but I am curious what you would do if a new teacher commits to the job in May and then doesn't come? Or what if they quit or have to repatriate for some reason? Do you then just try and find whoever you can to fill that slot? Thanks. 

38 minutes ago, Jiggyfly said:

Hey,

As the Hiring Director for a large private school in northern Thailand, I can say for a fact you are a bit late.  School year for us, and many other schools ends mid March, at which time year-end break begins.  It continues until the start of school the first week of May.  Therefore, I start the hiring process mid January, shooting for completion before break begins.  The only thing I will be doing during April is staying out of the way of flying ice cubes and relaxing in the screen room.  Just some information to dwell upon.  Wish you luck!  Cheers....  Doc

Doubt the OP is truly late..I mean you are speaking for your own school I would say..

15 hours ago, Goldbear said:

Jiggyfly, I am not a teacher but I am curious what you would do if a new teacher commits to the job in May and then doesn't come? Or what if they quit or have to repatriate for some reason? Do you then just try and find whoever you can to fill that slot? Thanks. 

I can't answer for Jiggyfly, and CM area is a little more replete with teachers, but I don't usually start the recruitment process until April.   The reason is that a lot of people will continue to look for work and if something better or more convenient comes along, they won't show up.  

There are a few exceptions, where people have selected one of the schools because it is located in the area and they don't wish to move or travel a lot.   I will hire them early on.  

I have advised one of the schools I help supervise, to run an advertisement in mid-February because a new school will be opening in April for the summer session, but otherwise it would be March when I would start aggressively recruiting people. 

Best of luck to you.  

Archived