Election to be held early next year, PM tells Canadian envoy

webfact

Election to be held early next year, PM tells Canadian envoy
By THE NATION

pm1.jpg

Prayut

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER Prayut Chan-o-cha said yesterday that the current political road map would have to be followed to pave the way for the next general election to be held early next year, as per information posted on the government website.

The PM made the remarks to Canadian Ambassador Donica Pottie when she called on him at Government House yesterday, Deputy Government Spokesman Lt-General Werachon Sukondhapatipak said.

This is the first time the prime minister has hinted that the elections were not likely to be held this year as set out in the road map.

In the discussion with the Canadian ambassador, the premier spoke about the country’s political situation and stressed on the implementation of the road map and national reforms, the spokesman said.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30303523

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-01-06

"next general election to be held early next year" 

So from January to end of February, or in one year's time, the Thai people can vote for anyone they chose to run the country.  Doubtful, but he would not lie to a Canadian.  They are such pleasant, well mannered people. 

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha underlined Thailand’s commitment to holding a general election as planned late 2017 during his speech at the United Nations General Assembly on 21 Sep 16.  http://www.centennialasia.com/thailand-at-un-prayut-pledges-2017-election-23-sep-2016/

Prayut's pledges for elections (previously for 2015, then 2016) seem very insincere at best and manipulative at worse.

Compare to Egypt having a land mass almost 2x Thailand and population about 35% larger:

• military coup July 2013
  • constitution referendum vote Jan. 2014
  • elections held May 2014
  • President installed June 2014

8 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha underlined Thailand’s commitment to holding a general election as planned late 2017 during his speech at the United Nations General Assembly on 21 Sep 16.  http://www.centennialasia.com/thailand-at-un-prayut-pledges-2017-election-23-sep-2016/

Prayut's pledges for elections (previously for 2015, then 2016) seem very insincere at best and manipulative at worse.

Compare to Egypt having a land mass almost 2x Thailand and population about 35% larger:

• military coup July 2013
  • constitution referendum vote Jan. 2014
  • elections held May 2014
  • President installed June 2014

I agree with you...but I hope Thailand will not be compared to Egypt.

As mentioned by Dr Titinan in today's paper that cannot be named the royal cremation will likely be in November or December post rainy season.

The election will follow after that as the coronation of the new King will likely be held post election to ensure heads of state invited to attend feel free to visit a country once again under democratic rule.

2 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Was it only yesterday I was reading that elections had to be this year in accordance with his own 'roadmap'?

Me too. Just goes to show that anyone believing a word that comes out of his mouth is a complete mug...

23 minutes ago, bannork said:

As mentioned by Dr Titinan in today's paper that cannot be named the royal cremation will likely be in November or December post rainy season.

The election will follow after that as the coronation of the new King will likely be held post election to ensure heads of state invited to attend feel free to visit a country once again under democratic rule.

I would imagine that by November or December the date will have already have been pushed back to mid to late 2018 anyway, judging by past performances. 

Effectively, the same people will be in charge, election or no election.  That is the way it has been planned.

I wonder what the UN's reaction to this news will be, bearing in mind the P.M. told them as late as last September that elections would be held before the end of 2017.  The Government's drip-feeding of supposedly small delays in the election dates, which turn out to be delays extending to years, is no doubt the same policy they are using in the delays in arresting the infamous Abbot.

1 hour ago, baboon said:

I would imagine that by November or December the date will have already have been pushed back to mid to late 2018 anyway, judging by past performances. 

They won't do it until they're good and ready. 

But as is the norm so often here, there seems a belief people don't have memories and will simply believe the latest they're told. 

Odd - but the yearn to avoid conflict and never loos face is something we Westerners will never grasp.

13 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

avoid conflict and never loos face is something we Westerners will never grasp.

Democracy is a charming form of government, full of variety and disorder, and dispensing a sort of equality to equals and unequal alike. - Plato

I have little faith civilised governments really care what goes on in Thailand as long as this junta continue to spout empty words.

Their fake referendum and lack of legitimacy should be enough to discount their fraudulent 'democratic' election but supposedly civilised governments will mostly go along with it.

The junta have little to fear from the international community it seems: they are no different than the Thai population with ears open and mouth closed when it comes to junta BS.

It doesn't matter when these soldiers hold their fake election, nothing will change because (most of) the international community will nod and suck it down.

At least the Aussies put their money where their principles are. I hope the false soldier-crony 'election' will change nothing for the way the Aussies treat these undemocratic, military thugs.

Edited by Squeegee

Just now, baboon said:

Not if Titinan's theory of the coronation occurring post election is true.

5 hours ago, yellowboat said:

"next general election to be held early next year" 

So from January to end of February, or in one year's time, the Thai people can vote for anyone they chose to run the country.  Doubtful, but he would not lie to a Canadian.  They are such pleasant, well mannered people. 

Another PR comment by the general. 

Edited by elgordo38

Oh yes!  Us non  Thais  know everything  and the Thais  know nothing,

well that is as it seems to be on this Forum.    Sometimes I am surperised

with all the experts that I read on  here.  I have been coming to this country since

the late 90s  and I try to study a lot about it,  but in reality I know a lot less

than my Thai relatives do  about the Thai politics.

Geezer