"Tell the grandkids I love them": Final message from granddad killed in Thailand crash

Jonathan Fairfield

Had an accident on my bike yesterday evening, while standing still in Din Daeng, BKK.

Some $#!thead driver of a mini van, registered in Roi Et, drove through the soi on the wrong side of the road at high speed. I saw him coming and stopped my bike behind a parked car, completely of the road. Then the idiot took a right turn into another soi, hitting me at my right side, destroying my bike's exhaust, rear wheel and my right leg. My leg got trapped between my bike and the mini van. My leg isn't broken but completely showing all colours of the rainbow right now. Can't walk on it. The mini van was an old one from Nissan having all emblems of Mercedes, no road tax paid nor having any insurrance. Police didn't show up in Din Daeng because they said that the soi was belonging to Huay Kwang police, 4 hours later !!! And right around the corner they were having a check point all night long, just 50 meters from where the accident happened. Probably the $#!tface driving the mini van saw the checkpoint and went throught the soi where he hit me, trying to avoid the checkpoint. 

Edited by FredNL

2 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Agree with lvr181 this was not an accident. Accidents imply there was no avoidable cause. These are collisions. In U.K. Police use this term nowadays as there is always an avoidable cause, except in tiny percentage of mechanical failure not due to lack of maintenance. In this case, lack of dog control, poor driver skill and training and poor road design and engineering with likely no kerb or barrier to deflect the car are the probable causes. The sooner this is realised the more responsibility will be taken by Thais and the more effort will be made to rectify these omissions and faults.

The words Responsibility and Thai  (or Thailand) should never be used in yhe same sentence unless in a contrary context.

2 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Was there really a dog? Did anyone else see the dog? Maybe the driver just made-up the dog story and he lost his attention to driving by talking/answering/texting on his cell phone or by some other factor. Regardless, driving into a bar and killing people is absolutely horrendous.

I was scrolling down to reply at the end but you beat me to it.  Brain failure , bald tyres , brake failure and now had to avoid a dog failure.

8 hours ago, kannot said:

Bloody  things all need eradicating, Im sure many accidents are  caused by these rat arsed  things, "we  love dogs" Thai people are a  joke, let them wander the sreets, crap everywhere, howl at  night and really not taken care of at all, the food  the morons  put out  on the street for them is eaten by rats and flying rats .... pigeons ( notice the population of the pigeons now  has gone beserk)........LAZY thats what the owners are nothing more  nothing less, round them ALL up and destroy them.........preferably with the owners too

Haha temper, temper.

10 hours ago, kannot said:

Bloody  things all need eradicating, Im sure many accidents are  caused by these rat arsed  things, "we  love dogs" Thai people are a  joke, let them wander the sreets, crap everywhere, howl at  night and really not taken care of at all, the food  the morons  put out  on the street for them is eaten by rats and flying rats .... pigeons ( notice the population of the pigeons now  has gone beserk)........LAZY thats what the owners are nothing more  nothing less, round them ALL up and destroy them.........preferably with the owners too

Take two Prozac and reread your post in the morning

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Quote: 'Thais believe it could be a reincarnated loved one'.

Oh really! So why do they treat them so damn badly?

Oftentimes they treat their living relatives just as badly.

in Oz, we are taught from the get go, to run over animals vs swerving

8 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

That's my first thought too, but people's reflexes act otherwise at times. 

Your defunct cat in Jeddah may have been a result of a very sudden unexpected move as well as the dog with brain-damage which caused THB 15,000 damage to the front of my car in Naklua some years ago. 

I was driving down a fairly narrow but quite busy poorly lit street near to an active mosque at night when the stray ran across my path, I didn't slow because it would have passed me by the time I reached it, but unfortunately it got spooked by something and went into reverse, so by the time I got there it was crossing my path. Just to risky to swerve as I could have hit a human ... I wasn't happy about it but all in all it was the right thing to do.

The probable reason the Thai driver's family visit Mr. Walden in hospital is to take pictures of their visit. If the driver (and his family) express remorse for the accident, the driver is likely to receive a lot lesser penalty than if no remorse is expressed, should the case ever go to court. One way of proving remorse to the judge is to produce photos showing they visited the accident victim as proof of their remorse. This is an acceptable practise here. Meanwhile, the Thai driver will undoubtedly allege it was the dogs owner who should bear responsibility for the accident, for allowing the dog to wander around without a leash (assuming there was a dog). This permits the owner to prevaricate when the question of the hospital bill arises - and naturally, the hospital won't be interested in any third party, and will require Mr. Walden to pay all hospital costs. 

6 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Unless there was intention to kill, it was an accident.

The absence of premeditation does not mean it was an accident, it simply means the collision was unintentional.

There is culpability... driving too fast ? distracted by something else when he swerved ?... 

This is tragic... but too many incidents in Thailand are passed off as accidents because the consequences were not considered.

----------

On a side note: Careful where you sit, some places are 'in the line of fire' so to speak and we can easily place ourselves in danger, especially at some of the road side street stalls with passing vehicles.

6 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Unless there was intention to kill, it was an accident.

Bulls hit - it was bad driving! Bad driving is not an accident.

Are you a lawyer or a politician? You sure sound like one!

31 minutes ago, democratus said:

The probable reason the Thai driver's family visit Mr. Walden in hospital is to take pictures of their visit. If the driver (and his family) express remorse for the accident, the driver is likely to receive a lot lesser penalty than if no remorse is expressed, should the case ever go to court. One way of proving remorse to the judge is to produce photos showing they visited the accident victim as proof of their remorse. This is an acceptable practise here. Meanwhile, the Thai driver will undoubtedly allege it was the dogs owner who should bear responsibility for the accident, for allowing the dog to wander around without a leash (assuming there was a dog). This permits the owner to prevaricate when the question of the hospital bill arises - and naturally, the hospital won't be interested in any third party, and will require Mr. Walden to pay all hospital costs. 

Well I am a friend of Tony's, I went to see him earlier this week he is now at home, and he told me the Thai family involved have taken care of everything.

6 minutes ago, mallet36 said:

Well I am a friend of Tony's, I went to see him earlier this week he is now at home, and he told me the Thai family involved have taken care of everything.

Good stuff.

I bet this update has ruined the thread for the many Thai bashers here.  :smile:

Edited by Broken Record

13 hours ago, whatproblem said:

So because he swerved to miss a dog it wasn't dangerous driving ?he wasn't going to fast that he couldn't stop ? He wasn't not paying attention to driving ? 

Unbelieveable thailand ,

rip 

On the phone I expect, no could have been texting on Line and now another death from Thai uneducated driving, PM's Fault as the buck always stops at the top

17 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

C,mon guys, you just don,t drive through a bar to avoid a dog ! My bet would be he was texting.

Hope they pull his phone records to see exactly what he was doing at he time of the accident  -  RIP to the deceased and condolences to the family.  To the guy that says "accidents happen all the time"  sorry, that is no excuse, my nephew went to prison for seven years as a teenager because he caused the death of a man , he was not paying attention while driving and got to close to the side of the road the man was walking on.  Twenty years later and he still regrets it.    

19 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Best ask a Thai.

If I thought for one moment that I would get a straight answer, I might do so.

But I've got so used to such questions being answered obtusely or evasively that I've realized that it's not worth the effort.

Thailand - LOS, Land of Secrets Shhh!

Edited by Moonlover

23 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Quote: 'Thais believe it could be a reincarnated loved one'.

Oh really! So why do they treat them so damn badly?

Thais do not like dogs but they want people to think they are caring ,everything they do is for show "look at me,I'm a good person" then when no ones around they'll kick them ,it's all about me .when they give they need people know they give ,they can't give anonymously because what they get out of it .if they cared for the dogs they would pay vet bills to make the dogs life better ,they give left over food instead

Edited by whatproblem

4 hours ago, whatproblem said:

Thais do not like dogs but they want people to think they are caring ,everything they do is for show "look at me,I'm a good person" then when no ones around they'll kick them

Some people on this forum amaze me with their ignorance.

You mean some Thai's do not like dogs, just as some do like dogs, just as some Farangs like dogs and some Farangs do not like dogs. Thai's are humans too, some of you people on this forum post as if you're living on some far away planet inhabited by some undefined sub species, it's embarrassing.  :saai:

Edited by Broken Record

What a tragic thing to happen, my heart bleeds.... I have to agree with an earlier post about the level of driving here in Thailand, it is appalling. Everyday that I go out on the roads there is someone driving like a moron, running red lights, no consideration for other drivers, no basic road knowledge at all. It seems to me that most learn how to operate a vehicle but are given no training in how to actually behave when driving on the roads. I am in Spain at the moment and it is a joy to drive, people do what they are supposed to do, are considerate and courteous and I can enjoy my driving.

Road accidents happen everywhere, including Spain, wherever there are motorised vehicles, there will be accidents, so worldwide, there are a lot of accidents, the figures are horrendous really.

Nearly 1.3 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day. An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled. More than half of all road traffic deaths occur among young adults ages 15-44.

http://asirt.org/Initiatives/Informing-Road-Users/Road-Safety-Facts/Road-Crash-Statistics