Video: These cops had a lucky escape...

32 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

Cops need a driving course lucky it wasn't a foreign driving the pick up TIT

Exactly the same thing happened to me 5 Years ago, on the Expressway in Bangkok, except he cut straight in front of me to go down one of the slip roads. He came from nowhere & the 1st I realized what had happened, was when he came to a stop on the concrete barrier ?

As he picked himself up & brushed himself down & started walking towards the car, I was preparing for a visit to the 'monkey house'. As he reached the car, he spoke to my partner, who told me to drive away. He had apologized to her for cutting in front of us & said it was all his fault ????

Just wish I had bought the car camera a few Months earlier, because that is one video I would love to be able to share.

1 hour ago, lvr181 said:

Dumb as all hell. No indicators (or hand signals) and no looking behind to ensure the way was clear. Jeez! :sad:

Give yourselves an uppercut.

They were clearly braking and turning off the road.   The guy in the pickup didn't slow down enough and ran into them.

He was totally at fault for not braking in time.

19 minutes ago, seancbk said:

They were clearly braking and turning off the road.   The guy in the pickup didn't slow down enough and ran into them.

Yup, the driver should not have hit them but believe me as a motorcyclist of many decades you have to take more care! No point in being dead or injured because you were in the "right"!

21 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Yup, the driver should not have hit them but believe me as a motorcyclist of many decades you have to take more care! No point in being dead or injured because you were in the "right"!

Too true. Their positioning in the road was bad though. Turning left to park they should have moved to the left hand side of the lane, indicated and braked then it would not have happened.

4 hours ago, turner34 said:

Exactly the same thing happened to me 5 Years ago, on the Expressway in Bangkok, except he cut straight in front of me to go down one of the slip roads. He came from nowhere & the 1st I realized what had happened, was when he came to a stop on the concrete barrier ?

As he picked himself up & brushed himself down & started walking towards the car, I was preparing for a visit to the 'monkey house'. As he reached the car, he spoke to my partner, who told me to drive away. He had apologized to her for cutting in front of us & said it was all his fault ????

Just wish I had bought the car camera a few Months earlier, because that is one video I would love to be able to share.

..no need...he apologized for his manner of driving...and you both went on your way!

Edited by tandor

3 hours ago, seancbk said:

Totally? At least has a major part of joint guilt.

The breaklight is clear and bright for two seconds or so without the car slowing down significantly.

And about a second before the bump the bike rider starts drifting to the left.

With a little brain and reaction this could easily have been avoided.

Who expects a bike rider in Thailand to use the indicators :biggrin:

Driving behind a bike rider (in Thailand) needs some clairvoyance/visionary.

5 hours ago, whatproblem said:

Yes ,it must of shocked them because they missed the woman going up the road the wrong way 

Woman? Bet it is an obese/fatty schoolboy/student in scouts uniform or so :tongue:

5 hours ago, seancbk said:

Amazing!! When every other thread is about BIB bashing justified or not this is a clear cut fault of the cop and now you're on their side??? 555 Too much!  The belief that hitting anything in front of you is your fault is a myth.  Breaking hard from the right/center of the road without signaling to make an afterthought left was the sole cause of the accident.  Snap out of your coma.  I would have snatched their ticket books and started writing out the fines myself. "totally at fault" GMAFB!

6 hours ago, seancbk said:

Right on the money ..the cops didn't even change lines before the impact occurred, all they did was slow the bike.

Edited by onthesoi

59 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

Amazing!! When every other thread is about BIB bashing justified or not this is a clear cut fault of the cop and now you're on their side??? 555 Too much!  The belief that hitting anything in front of you is your fault is a myth.  Breaking hard from the right/center of the road without signaling to make an afterthought left was the sole cause of the accident.  Snap out of your coma.  I would have snatched their ticket books and started writing out the fines myself. "totally at fault" GMAFB!

I hope you are never driving behind me when I brake suddenly.  

As a driver you should be aware of what other road users are doing, you should always leave enough distance and time to allow yourself to react to the unexpected.   

Neither the bike nor the truck were moving very fast, yet the truck driver wasn't paying attention to the bike in front.  When the bike rider braked the truck driver simple drove into him.

56 minutes ago, seancbk said:

As a driver you should be aware of what other road users are doing, you should always leave enough distance and time to allow yourself to react to the unexpected.   

Neither the bike nor the truck were moving very fast, yet the truck driver wasn't paying attention to the bike in front.  When the bike rider braked the truck driver simple drove into him.

Braking suddenly and unsafely are two different things.  Intelligent drivers know that and check their mirrors before doing either.  The truck driver had a lead view of the motorbike and reasonably assumed it would continue on it's heading and rate of speed not slam on his brakes and turn directly into his path.  And yes, I am a certified Accident Investigator.  It is not uncommon for people faking back injuries to cause accidents in just this manor to fool the amateur observer like yourself. You're wrong period and any court would agree.

4 hours ago, ThaiWai said:
5 hours ago, seancbk said:

Braking suddenly and unsafely are two different things.  Intelligent drivers know that and check their mirrors before doing either.  The truck driver had a lead view of the motorbike and reasonably assumed it would continue on it's heading and rate of speed not slam on his brakes and turn directly into his path.  And yes, I am a certified Accident Investigator.  It is not uncommon for people faking back injuries to cause accidents in just this manor to fool the amateur observer like yourself. You're wrong period and any court would agree.

Watch the video again.

The bike is at least 3-4 car lengths in front of the truck.   There was nothing sudden about the way the bike rider applied the brakes.    The brake light comes on and and stays on for 3 secs, during which time the truck closes the gap between the two vehicles, until it hits the bike.

If the driver of the truck couldn't react in 3 secs then he obviously wasn't paying attention to the road and the vehicles ahead.

3 hours ago, seancbk said:

Watch the video again.

The bike is at least 3-4 car lengths in front of the truck.   There was nothing sudden about the way the bike rider applied the brakes.    The brake light comes on and and stays on for 3 secs, during which time the truck closes the gap between the two vehicles, until it hits the bike.

If the driver of the truck couldn't react in 3 secs then he obviously wasn't paying attention to the road and the vehicles ahead.

All car dash cams use distorted, near fish eye, lenses that make distances appear greater than they are.  A sample video with measuring tapes is the only way to accurately estimate distances rendered in the video.  Anything else is guessing.

3 hours ago, ThaiWai said:
6 hours ago, seancbk said:

Watch the video again.

All car dash cams use distorted, near fish eye, lenses that make distances appear greater than they are.  A sample video with measuring tapes is the only way to accurately estimate distances rendered in the video.  Anything else is guessing.

Pause the video at the moment the police bike's brake light first appears.  

Look at the scene, there are trees down the road divider which are at least 1 car length apart, from that you can get a pretty good estimate of the distance fish eye or not.

Basically you just want to bash the Thai Police and are using any argument to be able to blame them, when any rational person would admit the truck driver didn't brake in time.   

Edited by seancbk

4 hours ago, seancbk said:

Pause the video at the moment the police bike's brake light first appears.  

Look at the scene, there are trees down the road divider which are at least 1 car length apart, from that you can get a pretty good estimate of the distance fish eye or not.

Basically you just want to bash the Thai Police and are using any argument to be able to blame them, when any rational person would admit the truck driver didn't brake in time.   

You got me dead wrong.  I am a law enforcement supporter even when they make an honest mistake.  I never "bashed" anyone, merely stated the obvious fact that had the police not taken the action they did there would have been no accident.  Any person with experience, knowledge and training in such matters would admit the police caused the accident.  That makes you unexperienced, unknowing and without training.  As a rule, when instances occur and you fulfill those three classifiers, you should remain silent.  Done.  You're smoked. Be gone.

5 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

You got me dead wrong.  I am a law enforcement supporter even when they make an honest mistake.  I never "bashed" anyone, merely stated the obvious fact that had the police not taken the action they did there would have been no accident.  Any person with experience, knowledge and training in such matters would admit the police caused the accident.  That makes you unexperienced, unknowing and without training.  As a rule, when instances occur and you fulfill those three classifiers, you should remain silent.  Done.  You're smoked. Be gone.

I don't care who you claim to be, I sincerely hope you are never driving behind me or indeed anywhere near me or anyone I know.

The guy riding the bike braked.  The guy driving behind had at least 3 seconds to react and stop yet he didn't, instead he drove into the bike that was slowing down.

If you think that is in any way normal then you are an idiot.

Any serious bike rider will know that the the rtp were riding in a totally irrational manor plus being incorrectly positioned in the middle of the road. Yes you could see the brake lights but the only indication was as they were turning. Undercutting vehicles here is normal. You need to to be extra vigilant regarding other motor vehicles on the road when riding a bike 

However the truck driver should of been more observant and slowed down sooner when the brake lights were seen or in this case not. I would put this as a 50/50 fault or possibly put the higher percentage of blame on the truck only because if he'd slowed on seeing the brake lights he would of stopped in time.