FA chairman suggests gay players could come out together

Jonathan Fairfield

FA chairman suggests gay players could come out together

r.JPG

FA Chairman Greg Clarke during the launch Action Images via Reuters / Tony O'Brien

LONDON (Reuters) - The chairman of the English FA says he has spoken to gay players about providing more support and helping them to come out as a group.

"I put the message out there that if a number of top-level pros want to come out, why don't we synchronise it, so one person doesn't have to come out on their own," Greg Clarke told the Times newspaper in an interview published on Monday.

"The Premier League, the Football League and the FA could do it at the start of the season," he added.

Clarke, who has been FA chairman since September, said in October he would not recommend a player coming out at present because of the risk of abuse, mainly from fans of opposing teams.

He said then that the soccer body needed to "redouble its efforts to provide that safe space" for players to be open about their sexuality.

Clarke said he had met 15 gay sports people, including soccer players, in the last four weeks to ask their views.

"It is very difficult to get to a representative set of gay top level footballers because some of them are happy with their sexuality and just don't want anyone to know," he added.

"I don't want to be part of a process that says 'you've got to come out'. That's not right."

Very few soccer players have come out during their active careers due mainly to the fear of a negative reaction from coaches, team mates and fans.

Britain's most famous case was that of former Norwich City striker Justin Fashanu, who committed suicide eight years after coming out in a tabloid newspaper in 1990.

Clarke also said English soccer was "systematically biased against black people unintentionally" when it came to management.

"It would be wonderful to see a black England manager. It would put us forward 20 years," he added.

Clarke remained optimistic about introducing a winter break into the Premier League to help England's international chances, although a break of the length required would be difficult.

"You can get to two weeks by getting rid of a few replays, moving a few things to midweek, but medical stats show two weeks is not enough," he said. "It has to be three or four weeks to make a difference.

"That knocks a hell of a hole in the season...I think we can win a tournament without a winter break."

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Amlan Chakraborty)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-01-09

15 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

"It would be wonderful to see a black England manager. It would put us forward 20 years," he added.

Wouldn't it be better to actually employ someone who could do the job?.

51 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

Wouldn't it be better to actually employ someone who could do the job?.

Soon the feminists will be demanding a female coach for the male team.  And why not?  Merit nowadays seems to have been ditched as a necessary criterion for success.

I would love to see Rooney knuckling down under a female coach....

22 minutes ago, balo said:

If they came out in the open it would be some funny scenes watching the celebrations when one of them scoring a goal .  Be careful with the hugs mate. 

I'm fairly certain Freddie Ljungberg was a left-footer, but it never seemed to bother any of his mates when he scored.

4 hours ago, kamahele said:

It would certainly be helpful to those players who are gay to come out as a group and would also give support to up and coming gay athletes who want to live honestly and openly.

Why do people have to disclose their sexual likes to the public?

What's it got to do with anyone else, let alone total strangers, what other people like to do in their sex life?

These days being gay or lesbian is not a huge issue like years ago.  This coming out for football players seem just some kind of publicity stunt, or pathetic entertainment value.

23 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

What's it got to do with anyone else, let alone total strangers, what other people like to do in their sex life?

These days being gay or lesbian is not a huge issue like years ago.  This coming out for football players seem just some kind of publicity stunt, or pathetic entertainment value.

I was thinking the same thing, I'm sure each club management and players would be aware if people within the squad are gay and 99% of those co-workers wouldn't give a toss, it's not 1975.  

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Exactly,the arrogance of the FA telling people what to do.

I think this new head of the FA; Greg Clarke; is desperately trying to set a high profile agenda. Headline grabbing sums it up. The Premier League has left the FA miles behind long ago in terms of promoting the English game globally.

Edited by champers

6 minutes ago, champers said:

I think this new head of the FA; Greg Clarke; is desperately trying to set a high profile agenda. Headline grabbing sums it up. The Premier League has left the FA miles behind long ago in terms of promoting the English game globally.

the English game?  If only.  What is the percentage of British players occupying regular spots on the top 7 or so teams in the EPL?

Which suggests that before gays can come out, there is a prior problem....the lack of teams for them to come out OF!!

6 minutes ago, blazes said:

the English game?  If only.  What is the percentage of British players occupying regular spots on the top 7 or so teams in the EPL?

Which suggests that before gays can come out, there is a prior problem....the lack of teams for them to come out OF!!

Eh? Gay people exist in other countries too so chances are there's a few Freddie ljunbergs out there ( or not as case may be) in the prem anyway.

Re Freddie  Ljungberg. Well. He is married to Natalie Foster (Spurs fan) and they have a daughter, Aria-Billie Ljungberg.

Never ever heard a word here in Sweden about Freddie being gay. He had an extravagant style and was not liked by his

team members in the national squad. But gay? No fakking way!

2 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Interesting game this could be. 10% ok 1 player from each team whose your money on

I have to study the way they hug and kiss each other first . We have a few candidates for sure. :whistling:

32 minutes ago, IngoSparks said:

Re Freddie  Ljungberg. Well. He is married to Natalie Foster (Spurs fan) and they have a daughter, Aria-Billie Ljungberg.

Never ever heard a word here in Sweden about Freddie being gay. He had an extravagant style and was not liked by his

team members in the national squad. But gay? No fakking way!

Ok but plenty of gays are married.  Once upon a time I did some PI work and this old head chucked crappy cases my way. This poor woman was in despair as her husband regularly went out and always had a fresh pack of condoms and a bottle of lube hidden in the car so he must be seeing other women she said....

12 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Ok but plenty of gays are married.  Once upon a time I did some PI work and this old head chucked crappy cases my way. This poor woman was in despair as her husband regularly went out and always had a fresh pack of condoms and a bottle of lube hidden in the car so he must be seeing other women she said....

Ah, so we have a "private dick" in our midst.

:w00t: