Affordable international schools?

My wife and I have finally decided to move back to Thailand. What are the most affordable international schools with either American or British accreditation? Where are they? What is the estimated cost per student? I will be paying out of pocket so I am looking for value. I am not interested in sending them to a Thai school with an English program. Trying to keep it under ฿350,000 annually for two students if possible. What are my options?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Unfortunately, have very few international school options at that price range, particularly if you're aiming to stay below 350,000 for both children. Even if both were in nursery/pre-k, few full K-12 schools are that affordable in Bangkok (though more in other regions), and I cannot honestly recommend any of them. A quality bilingual school or English program would be worth just as much, if not more in some cases.

If your children are older, it will be far more challenging to stay in your price range, and you also need to consider that the fees will increase substantially as they progress. At this point, the most expensive schools in Thailand charge 800,000 to 900,000 at the high school level, and most mid-tier schools between 400,000 to 700,000 per child. (Despite the annual fee increases and saturated market, demand for these schools remains high. A few of the schools do struggle, often due to management, but most experience steady growth.)

As a starting point, you may want to visit the International Schools Association of Thailand website. That will help you narrow down the list by curriculum. The Wikipedia list may also come in useful.

• 3 months later...

I concur with the above post.

We are also searching for schools now and will be happy to pay 300,000 per child.

350,000 for two kids isn't realistic at all for certified international schools.

1 hour ago, richard10365 said:

Chiang Mai has international schools in that price range. I'm sure other cities outside of Bangkok do too.

Depends on the age group. For Nursery / kindergarden, and perhaps Year 1 - 2, yes.

For higher Primary / Elementary classes, when you take into consideration all the yearly fees, it looks closer to 250,000 - 300,000 a year. Not including one time payments such as registration and deposits of course.

In secondary grades, 300,000 - 350,000 a year or higher.

And the rates climb every year in most schools.

• 7 months later...

How about Khorat 

Looking at swapping my son (grade 4 / 9 yr old ) & am looking at a couple 

Adventist international mission school (AIMS ) - 247.000 1st yr start up fee & then 130,000 per/ yr there after (until price increases )

Wesley - my friend has 2 kids there (& he certainly checks all the schools out ) - I looked at web site & looks like for 2 x grade 4 kids 310,00 ( standard yr ) , but your 1st start up yr will add another 200,000 for sure

So this could be a ? if any members in this area can add further Info for all , concerning above or any others it would be appreciated 

PS : I've heard Khon Khean & Chaing Mai have good schools

• 4 weeks later...

Chiang Mai has several schools, but fees have been pushed up in recent years. You're looking at 200,000-350,000B/child (depending on age) in an accredited school (or twice that at the school that offers IB).

• 3 weeks later...

How about RC International School in Bangkok? This seems to be half the price of other international schools in BKK. Looking at it on Google maps it seems like it's almost an apartment block squeezed in amongst other condos so they may lack some of the facilities of the bigger schools but the price is much more compelling if the quality of the education is good.

1 hour ago, Nakrob said:

How about RC International School in Bangkok? This seems to be half the price of other international schools in BKK. Looking at it on Google maps it seems like it's almost an apartment block squeezed in amongst other condos so they may lack some of the facilities of the bigger schools but the price is much more compelling if the quality of the education is good.

We visited them last year. Yes it's tiny, very tiny and crowded. They are not really accredited by any serious body so it's a matter of trust. Can't comment on the level of education, don't know. Plus, it's only elementary so you are looking at moving to another school at some stage. Most kids are from Indian/sikh origin.

Archived