Time for new tyres - recommendations?

What kind of car ? Vios would need a different spec than a Ferrari. What do you use the car for ?  Mostly city ? Hiway ? Both ? How many KM per year ?  Drive fast ?  Without answers to these questions, the only answer which makes sense is ... Pneumatic

Edited by canthai55

TBH ...I would have thought a Long Time Lurker like yourself would have seen this topic repeated several times at least ...even I have asked a tyre question.

Anyway give a bit more info as suggested above and you will get several different opinions ... good luck ...

41 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

TBH ...I would have thought a Long Time Lurker like yourself would have seen this topic repeated several times at least ...even I have asked a tyre question.

Anyway give a bit more info as suggested above and you will get several different opinions ... good luck ...

I don't usually lurk in the Motoring Forum.

I guessed it may have come up before so I tried the search function, which I am sure you know is pretty useless.

6 hours ago, canthai55 said:

What kind of car ? Vios would need a different spec than a Ferrari. What do you use the car for ?  Mostly city ? Hiway ? Both ? How many KM per year ?  Drive fast ?  Without answers to these questions, the only answer which makes sense is ... Pneumatic

If I had a Ferrari I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be considering any of those makes, it's just a bog standard Altis saloon car.

Mixed city and highway driving about 50/50, 40k per year and don't drive over 100kph.

For 40,000 km/year, I would recommend tires that last longer like "Premium Touring Summer" from a first or second tier brand.

Something like Michelin Primacy 3 is a good choice but a bit expensive while something like Hankook or Kumho have some good tire at a more affordable price.

Check on the website of Black Donut. They provide lot of choice and the service is good. I changed my tire there on Sunday it was fine.

@Daffy D in the end I got lazy as none of the local places had the relevant size in stock, it got Bridgestone Dueler H/T.

Original equipment was Dueler A/T but they too were out of stock, as we don't do much off-road the H/Ts shallower (and slightly quieter) tread pattern has proved just fine.

@Crossy  Hmm! Hadn't heard of Thunder tyres before they were mentioned here so started to look at other motors when stuck in traffic or at the lights but never saw even one motor fitted with them :sad:

So many views and opinions regarding tyres, guess I'll just replace with original fit Michelins when the time comes. Nearly 5 years old and still have almost half the tread left, can't complain about that. :thumbsup:

27 minutes ago, transam said:

I put Thunderer on my Vigo, they work great, especially steering feel. Plus the price is right....

They do have the "E" stamp on the sidewall to show European use approval..

Ahaaa! Just when I thought my tire choice was settled :shock1:

How long have you had them and do they look like they'll give  good mileage?

By the look of it my Michelins should give at least 100K may be more.

:smile:

8 hours ago, transam said:

We don't use the ride much, mainly local stuff so can't really say. My last tyres were Michelin, one pair lasted 7 years and were shot at 80Kkm. The steering with the Thunderers on my 4x4 has vastly improved.

Thanks  :thumbsup:

You might consider Dayton tires, made by Bridgestone. They are sold on Lazada, and get good reviews from owners/users and have a rating of 94W, which is excellent for weight and speed capability. I recently increased my wheel size from 16" to 17", so I purchased 4 17" tires for less than B8,000, which I thought was very good (much better than the comparably priced Maxxi or Deestone tires). I do, of course, need to pay about B1,000 to have them mounted and balanced, but even with that, I think they are great value.  

On 1/10/2017 at 11:03 AM, canthai55 said:

So I answered your questions???

On 1/10/2017 at 5:59 PM, Crossy said:

No Bridgestone on the list?

If it's working fine just replace with the same brand and size used as original equipment.

No Bridgestone has been offered by the various tryre places in Pattaya.

Didn't have the current tyres from new so no idea what they are like but they're not good after 40k / 3.5 years so am looking for suggestions.

Another place offered Falkens to add to the mix though.