Banged to rights - Chiang Mai district chief arrested over corruption

webfact

Banged to rights - Chiang Mai district chief arrested over corruption

4a.jpg

Picture: Daily News

CHIANG MAI: -- The chief of a Chiang Mai province municipality has been arrested for taking bribes over the provision of water supply projects for a housing estate.

Arrested Tuesday was Mala Songkham the Bor Kaew district chief.

Police and anti graft officers armed with a search warrant found 200,000 baht in cash and documents related to the fraudulent water deal in his office, reports Daily News.

He was taken to Samerng police station under arrest.

The case followed complaints from contractors that they had been asked to pay bribes for the granting of contracts in the area.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-11

He upset someone, probably forgot to give them their cut.

How did the police know?

Selfish man was trying to keep it all for himself, not spiltting the ill gotten gains.

Just the tip of the iceberg, it is happening everywhere.

7 hours ago, Thailand said:

Shocking news, who would have thought it could happen! Getting caught I mean.

Yes, I agree!  Getting caught is however just a wee bit more likely when you keep the fraudulent documentation and the cash in your office.  He was obviously trying to help the police with their investigations, knowing full well that they would need it. 

"CHIANG MAI: -- The chief of a Chiang Mai province municipality has been arrested for taking bribes over the provision of water supply projects for a housing estate"

What the Government does not appear to appreciate is that it is this kind of local corruption which sometimes prevents otherwise honest citizens, expats and tourists from doing the right thing.

A small example is the fact that I want to pay the property tax on my home, which I partly own through a limited company, but I have been warned to expect a "negotiation" on the amount due based on its assumed value and that any amount paid, even when a receipt is offered, may not find its way into official coffers.  As a result, I have delayed visiting the local Land Office, in the probably vain hope that they will eventually send me a bill, which I am advised I can appeal against if their valuation and calculation of the tax due is not correct.    Thus, at present they are not receiving tax to which they are entitled, although I feel obliged soon to bite the bullet.