Killer Phuket visa run crash driver yet to face charges in court

webfact

Killer Phuket visa run crash driver yet to face charges in court

Yutthawat Lekmak

1484102670_1-org.jpg

The accident in Phang Nga province left three dead and six injured. Photo: Kupai

PHUKET: -- Police yesterday (Jan 10) confirmed that KBV Visa Run van driver Prawit Raweewat, who has already confessed to reckless driving causing death for the accident last month that killed three people and injured six more, may suffer harsher penalties than initially reported.

Phang Nga Town Police Chief Col Suwat Kaewprom confirmed to The Phuket News yesterday that Prawit was released on bail on Dec 27, six days after the accident.

“He confessed to the charge of reckless driving causing death and was fined B150,000,” Col Suwat said.

“However, we are holding onto his driver’s licence until this is all over. Police are continuing their investigation and the court has yet to hear the charge against him – and the court may yet hand down a harsher penalty than just the fine,” he added.

Prawit was behind the wheel of the van with his wife riding shotgun when the van slid on the rain-soaked highway and slammed into a roadside power pole before spinning and crunching into the side of a house.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/killer-phuket-visa-run-crash-driver-yet-to-face-charges-in-court-60580.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-01-11

The court may yet hand down a harsher penalty than just the fine,” He will automaticly get a lighter sentence for admitting he was at fault ! Good to see the police have his licence that should have a big impact on him Maybe May Might but Doubt it !

18 minutes ago, webfact said:

On 1/11/2017 at 2:57 PM, Deli said:

no runner to S'pore for medical care ?

Why would he- the constant harping on about HiSos is getting boring. Everyone knows its different rules for them so why bang on about it?

On 11/01/2017 at 7:44 PM, KenKadz said:

Charges of vehicular homicide and 20 years in jail might set an example for all commercial & van drivers.

I fully agree that harsher penalties/jailtime for causing the deaths of others should be given but somehow I don't think that would have much effect on 99% of other drivers.

I reckon the 'it only happens to others' belief will prevail. Sort of it's ok to drive dangerously when it's dry applies to everyone but I am such a good driver I can drive dangerously even when it's raining, because I do it all the time and nothing has ever gone wrong.

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

So who brings charges to the "court"?  Can't the families sue for monetary or civil damages?  A fine doesn't seem like much of a criminal damage verdict

Yes, family can sue but that would be civil, not criminal as is the case here.

There has been no criminal verdict yet, which is what this topic is about. So far he has been fined by the police, but criminal proceedings are still on the way.

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

I fully agree that harsher penalties/jailtime for causing the deaths of others should be given but somehow I don't think that would have much effect on 99% of other drivers.

I reckon the 'it only happens to others' belief will prevail. Sort of it's ok to drive dangerously when it's dry applies to everyone but I am such a good driver I can drive dangerously even when it's raining, because I do it all the time and nothing has ever gone wrong.

Good point!

On 12. Januar 2017 at 10:35 PM, Psimbo said:

Why would he- the constant harping on about HiSos is getting boring. Everyone knows its different rules for them so why bang on about it?

coz it shouldn't get forgotten, it sucks.