Can someone collect a marriage extension on our behalf?

nlimwa

Hello all, 

Just a question I cannot seem to find any information on, does anyone know if it's possible to nominate someone to collect a marriage visa extension on our behalf? 

We head south to avoid the smoky season, and the extension is always due to be collected slap bang in the middle of when we aren't here. Previous years my husband has flown in for a few days to collect, however his health cannot take the smoke, hence why we try to leave before it's too bad.

If there is a way to nominate someone (or any other solution) we be glad to hear of others' experiences!  

Thanks! 

You could take your husbands passport to immigration to get the extension stamp done after the extension is approved. My wife has done it for me just to save me the trip to immigration.

You would have to ask immigration about authorizing someone to do it. I think it could be possible.

I recently did this for a friend.  I took his passport, my passport and a copy of my passport on which he had written (signed) authorisation for me to take it to have the stamp put in.  Went to office number 1 at Promenada and they didn't even bother to look at anything other than his passport which they dealt with in about 5 minutes.

Very simple.  Don't let some agent make out it's complicated and charge you an arm and a leg.

hmmm that runs counter to my experiences.. In 6 years on marriage extensions twice they were not done at the end of 30 days, and I needed another 30 day extension granted so that I got my remaining 10 months issued at the end of 60 days. 

Thanks for the replies - and as is the case with immigration I guess we will have to try and see what happens! Does anyone know what happens if we don't collect the extension stamp until 6 weeks later?

The other thing I was wondering, is changing the date we have do the extension. It's currently 8th March

I know you can apply for 90 days or 1 year, is there anything to stop us putting in say 7 months so we in future do the extension every November when we will be in CM?

Thanks 

1 hour ago, nlimwa said:

The other thing I was wondering, is changing the date we have do the extension. It's currently 8th March

I know you can apply for 90 days or 1 year, is there anything to stop us putting in say 7 months so we in future do the extension every November when we will be in CM?

As its a marriage extension he could ask for a 60 day family extension at the end of his next year, and then apply for an annual again late in that.. Adds 2 months each time, until its better synced. 

Otherwise he could let his extensions expire and get either a single or multiple based on being married and make it work out at a better time for him. 

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

As its a marriage extension he could ask for a 60 day family extension at the end of his next year, and then apply for an annual again late in that.. Adds 2 months each time, until its better synced. 

Only one 60 day extension can be applied for a entry. If on an extension of stay it is only possible to get one for the life of it. Entry on a re-entry permit is not a new entry.

6 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

hmmm that runs counter to my experiences.. In 6 years on marriage extensions twice they were not done at the end of 30 days, and I needed another 30 day extension granted so that I got my remaining 10 months issued at the end of 60 days. 

I am not sure how your comments relate to the topic.

We always call the office to find out it is done before going. 

Those additional under consideration stamps (they are not an extension) must of been done some time ago. Immigration has stopped doing them because the under consideration stamp allows you to stay until the extension is approved. The report back date is not the date the under consideration period ends.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Those additional under consideration stamps (they are not an extension) must of been done some time ago. Immigration has stopped doing them because the under consideration stamp allows you to stay until the extension is approved. The report back date is not the date the under consideration period ends.

Maybe my terminology is wrong.. 

Every year I had an 'under consideration' stamp.. Up to and including 2015 (Oct / Nov) this last year (Nov 2016) I havent bothered with extensions given the mess of chiang mai and TM30s so am back to a multi entry visa. 

All I remember was.. I was given one for my end date plus 30 (ended up being about 7 weeks in that case due to early application) and when I came to collect it, they had a panic about docs they had lost, the fact my annual house lease was now expired as it renewed in the time passed and I had to come back another 30 days later. I am fairly sure they made some stamp to give me the +30 days but wouldnt bet my back teeth on it. 

We went early last year in the hope they would give us 30 days and bring the date forward.  Alas no luck they stuck to the anniversary. 

I spoke to an agent who said ok to collect stamp (they charge 300b). So it should be possible. And if not at least now I have a back up plan!

I will report back with the official response next week. Thanks very much for your help.

Archived