Teaching Licence Waivers

farang1979

I am returning to Thailand soon and wanted some clarification on teaching licence waivers. I understand that teaching in any school apart from a university or language school requires you to either have a PGCE or if you're not qualified - which is relevant to the vast majority of teachers in Thailand - a teaching licence waiver.

I understand (unless this has changed) that an unqualified TEFL teacher can teach in a school and the teaching licence would be waived for a maximum of 2 x 2 year waivers (effectively 4 years).

I taught in a school from May 2015 to March 2016, thereby completing a full academic year. And then, after summer, I returned to same school, from May 2016 to October 2016, finishing my time at the school at the end of the first semester.

I'm just wondering how this would affect my teaching licence waivers and how many waivers I would have left?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The school which hires you can get additional waivers. In the case of an agency/agent, he/she normally has connections at the Labor Department or puts you off for a couple semesters causing you to have to do border runs. There has been a crackdown on border runs, a rumored limit of two, but you can fly out and back in more than two times. Of course, the wage you will earn doesn't quite leave money in the bank for all these weekend excursions to get a new stamp in your passport. "Qualified" vs being able to teach, a NES, dependable, and not a drunkard as well as having a college degree go the distance. Your comment is a little bit offensive to people but what the heck, it's a weekend and we are all in a van to the various borders in the morning. OO and God Bless You. 

Archived