What's in your passport?

To be legal, what do you need stapled in your passport by Thai Immigration? TM6? Receipts for TM28? 30? 47? Anything else?

What is stapled in yours? I want to follow rules, but, gees, confusing. The question always seems to be where to you live.

No they may not be required but sometimes certain things are of value to you that are stapled there.

for example if you are doing 90 day reporting you may have a form there with your next 90 day reporting date.

That may not be required, but it is nice to have as a reminder of your repoeting date.

As already written: the stamp(s) are what you need.

TM6 and 90 day slip do not need to be carried for other purposes than visiting immigration office.

For leaving country only TM6 (departure card) necessary.

11 minutes ago, Rewthai said:

Isn't TM6 also required to check-in at hotel

You might be right.

I remember once being asked for (I had it with me, just separate).

Some hotels take registration quite lax others don't.

There is always dispute in the forum about what to take when travelling (overnight) in the country.

I always have PP, TM6 and that 90 day slip with me (although never been asked for the latter one).

14 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

You might be right.

I remember once being asked for (I had it with me, just separate).

Some hotels take registration quite lax others don't.

There is always dispute in the forum about what to take when travelling (overnight) in the country.

I always have PP, TM6 and that 90 day slip with me (although never been asked for the latter one).

I prefer to just show them my Thia DL.   

And whenever any hotel asks for my CC  I  respectfully tell them I cannot give it to them but will gladly give them a cash  security deposit.   That  approach has never failed me in  Thailand.    Even outside Thailand I always offer a cash deposit and decline the CC request.  

So far so good.

• Like 2

One benefit to keeping the 30-day report receipt in your passport if you use Cholburi (Jomtien) Immigrations is that once you are in the computer and the form has a bar code, you don't need to submit any paperwork for subsequent 30-day reports.  They scan the bar code of the form in your passport, make a computer entry or two, print out a new form with bar code and staple it to your passport and send you on your way.  Once you are at the 30-day report desk the transaction itself can be under one minute. And, with such fast processing, waiting in queue for the desk is much faster.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wpcoe said:

One benefit to keeping the 30-day report receipt in your passport if you use Cholburi (Jomtien) Immigrations is that once you are in the computer and the form has a bar code, you don't need to submit any paperwork for subsequent 30-day reports.  They scan the bar code of the form in your passport, make a computer entry or two, print out a new form with bar code and staple it to your passport and send you on your way.  Once you are at the 30-day report desk the transaction itself can be under one minute. And, with such fast processing, waiting in queue for the desk is much faster.

certainly you are talking about the 90 (ninety) day report, not 30

• Like 1

I never keep anything stapled inside passport and if they do staple something in I carefully take it out. I put things in a small plastic bag inside the plastic sleeve I carry my passport in. Reason many years ago I stapled a document needed in passport local IO ripped doc out and took some of the page with it. On returning to UK  showing my passport I was told in no certain terms to get a new one and to never staple things in. Although it did not damage any important information apparently then anyway the passport was defaced and a new one was needed.No idea if it's the same now but I just don't do it.

2 hours ago, siam2007 said:

certainly you are talking about the 90 (ninety) day report, not 30

Holy crap.  Yes, I meant 90-day report!  I hope I didn't inadvertently give Immigrations a new idea.  At least I was consistent -- used the term "30-day" three times in that post.  :whistling:

On 1/12/2017 at 11:08 AM, IMA_FARANG said:

No they may not be required but sometimes certain things are of value to you that are stapled there.

for example if you are doing 90 day reporting you may have a form there with your next 90 day reporting date.

That may not be required, but it is nice to have as a reminder of your repoeting date.

..also a departure card..

On 12/1/2017 at 6:42 AM, muzmurray said:

Nothing needs to be stapled in your passport to be legal.

All that needs to be in your passport is a valid permission to stay - nothing else.

I think that immigration like to see the departure section of the form you get when you arrive. There was a time when this would be stapled onto a page in your passport but no more. But was never sure that this was mandatory.

On 1/12/2017 at 11:36 AM, KhunBENQ said:

As already written: the stamp(s) are what you need.

TM6 and 90 day slip do not need to be carried for other purposes than visiting immigration office.

For leaving country only TM6 (departure card) necessary.

Thanks I feel better after getting told off for not having the 90 day slip in it a a few days ago, but that was just "told off"

On Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 0:23 PM, watcharacters said:

I prefer to just show them my Thia DL.   

And whenever any hotel asks for my CC  I  respectfully tell them I cannot give it to them but will gladly give them a cash  security deposit.   That  approach has never failed me in  Thailand.    Even outside Thailand I always offer a cash deposit and decline the CC request.  

So far so good.

These days i go on a cash only basis. They empty the mini bar and i pay cash for anything else. I never use the mini bar or room service so no sweat.

I once checked in next to someone who was due to stay at that hotel in Bangkok for three weeks. She had no CC but paid B22,000 cash in advance for incidentals. Shocking.

14 hours ago, KBsinter said:

I was told to carry TM6 ,90 DAY , AND notification of change of address in my 

p/p at all times,by JOMTIEN and  CHANWATTNA,,.............

5 hours ago, pieeyed said:

I was told at Jomtien to staple the same info as KBsinter stated above.

Ditto (at Jomtien.)

I did have a 90-day online report receipt stapled in my passport and had removed the previous one with a bar code, and received a mini-lecture to always leave a bar code receipt in the passport even if you start doing online reports.  I think the point was it would make in-person 90-day reports faster since they could still scan the bar code even if it weren't the most recent 90-day report.  Since I didn't have the bar code receipt, I had to submit a TM.47 and the IO had to do a bit of computer work.

If they ever re-instate online 90-day reporting, our passports will be mini file cabinets for Thai Immigrations:

- TM.6

- TM.47 bar coded receipt

- online 90-day report receipt

- TM.30

- TM.28 ?

A friend went to Vientiane to get a new visa. His arrival card was torn out of his passport damaging the page. Thai consulate would not give him a visa because is passport (one page) was damaged. He really got in to big $#!t as his passport was invalid. Also he was denied (legal) entry to Thailand because of this. He had to enter Thailand illegaly to visit his embassy for getting a new passport. At the embassy he even got fined for having a damaged passport.

My advise: use a paperclip, don't staple (officialy not allowed by Dutch government and it invalids your passport) !!!