OUCH! Imported TOY DRONE stuck in Thai Customs since Dec 21st!!

Jimbo in Thailand

Hi folks,

Gotta problem hopefully someone here can help me with.  First, let me say that I've been living in Isaan in Roi Et for 11+ years now.   I'm a USAF veteran and was stationed at Ubon RTAFB during the Vietnam War in '72-'73 so I'm not new to the fact that some Thais struggle with common sense situations.  OK, here's the long sad story...

Recently I ordered a toy (borderline hobby grade) quadcopter, a Hubsan H501S, that has FPV camera and GPS.  GPS gives it a wonderful return-to-home failsafe feature.  At the same time I also ordered a tiny aerobatic drone and some accessories.  The total was just shy of $300 USD.  Sadly, this package has been stuck in Thai Customs at Suwannaphoom airport since Dec 21st.  For some reason they apparently think this $219 USD toy/hobby-grade drone is somehow a national threat so they refuse to release it.  TNT, the shipping company, has been trying to help get this resolved.  Unfortunately, they haven't been able to help.  My Thai gf and I have been jumping through hoops searching and emailing Thai law supporting documents that Customs has asked for, and still no joy.  The latest news today is I now have to get the Thai Army's approval.  OMG, it's a freakin' toy drone!

What's insane is that it doesn't matter that much larger, more powerful, much more advanced, longer-range models are sold here, such as DJI Phantoms and the recent Mavic Pro.  It's even more insanely frustrating since this identical Hubsan model is already offered on Lazada and that some hobby shops already sell it in Thailand; facts I've already pointed out to them.  No matter what, they simply won't budge.  I've even asked them to send it back to the vendor and I'll pay the shipping charges.  They refuse, saying if I can't get the problem resolved within 74 days they'll simply dispose of it, so looks like I'm screwed.

What's really become apparent is that it seems no one in the Thai government is up to speed on the recently enacted Thai drone laws that state that a drone with transmitter output power of less than 100mW and weighing less than 1kg is allowed and doesn't require any kind of license to import it or to fly it.  This Hubsan model weighs a whopping 400g and the transmitter output is an even more minuscule 10mW of power.  Of course, I've already provided them with the specs... and still no joy.

Anyway, I could go on and on but will stop here.  If anyone here has any helpful advice I'd appreciate it.  Otherwise, consider this a warning if you're thinking of importing a drone yourself.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are misunderstanding the situation. Customs or whichever department doesn't enforce the law because they have a natural urge to do so and they genuinely care about someone braking the law. 

What is enforced and what is ignored depends on the individual you are dealing with and their feelings regarding the case. 

Since that woman already made it clear, that she has a single digit IQ and she has no intentions to release your drone, you can either find a way to get that army approval or buy a drone locally. 

What's insane is that it doesn't matter that much larger, more powerful, much more advanced, longer-range models are sold here, such as DJI Phantoms and the recent Mavic Pro.  It's even more insanely frustrating since this identical Hubsan model is already offered on Lazada and that some hobby shops already sell it in Thailand; facts I've already pointed out to them. 

It's not insane it's actually quite simple, those retailers had all their ducks in a row when importing those items....whereas you didn't.

I'm a USAF veteran and was stationed at Ubon RTAFB during the Vietnam War in '72-'73 so I'm not new to the fact that some Thais struggle with common sense situations.

oh the irony, if you've been here that long you should know good and well you have to research the shit out of any interaction with officialdom....to avoid problems!!!  Especially regarding the import/export of contentious or potentially dangerous items.

Edited by onthesoi

First of all, how did you order the drone?

If it was over the internet, the "vendor" has the responsibility to deliver it, regardless if this is a customs issue, lost package or whatever. They should have filled the proper paperwork. They are the exporter and should be familiar with local laws. You are not screwed as you can demand a refund from the vendor and if they refuse file a chargeback due to non delivery.

3 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

First of all, how did you order the drone?

If it was over the internet, the "vendor" has the responsibility to deliver it, regardless if this is a customs issue, lost package or whatever. They should have filled the proper paperwork. They are the exporter and should be familiar with local laws. You are not screwed as you can demand a refund from the vendor and if they refuse file a chargeback due to non delivery.

That will only be true if the vendor says that on their site and charges extra money for import tax etc  If he just placed a random order and provided an address in Thailand then the OP is the importer so responsible for all paperwork.

If you have all that experience in Thailand you should be aware of the extremely tight controls on radio transmissions and equipment.  Expect these may be the issue as if not bought here it is probably not licensed to operate here.  And yes the Thai Army must clear all radio equipment for use here. 

Are you sure about the rules allowing import/use do not require it being cleared first?  Know there has been some softening in laws but expect still must meet specs and be approved by someone here.

Edited by lopburi3

How did you pay it? By creditcard or paypal i would just claim it to be nondelivered and claim a refund.

cc also has the 6 months warranty or insurance on it..

If it works the vendor will be angry and might not ship to thailand anymore.....but many webshops already do that.

13 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

You are misunderstanding the situation. Customs or whichever department doesn't enforce the law because they have a natural urge to do so and they genuinely care about someone braking the law. 

What is enforced and what is ignored depends on the individual you are dealing with and their feelings regarding the case. 

Since that woman already made it clear, that she has a single digit IQ and she has no intentions to release your drone, you can either find a way to get that army approval or buy a drone locally. 

Yes it really depends on the customs person, recently went to get a parcel released myself (after I explained what it was it was only taxed VAT no import taxes). I guess it really depends on who is in charge and if they think they are right its hard to convince them otherwise. 

12 hours ago, onthesoi said:

That will only be true if the vendor says that on their site and charges extra money for import tax etc  If he just placed a random order and provided an address in Thailand then the OP is the importer so responsible for all paperwork.

This is true for any shipment - the importer is responsible for clearance, not the shipper. That's why there are brokers and customs clearance services.

I ordered a pair of personal walkie-talkies from a vendor in the USA off of E-Bay once, and they got stuck in Customs. As an add-on to the price, the vendor provided Customs clearance and duties.  Thai Customs started wanting paperwork this and paperwork that, catalog showing the price, and on and on. True, there could have been a problem with the fact that it was a transceiver and didn't have some sort of required certification. After a couple of weeks of back and forth, I notified the shipping service, they couldn't work out anything with Customs and they returned the to the vendor. I then received a full refund. 

While these customs services are not always cheap, they are great insurance. 

One less guy standing on a beach taking a drone out of a case making it go up and down for ten minutes before putting it back in the case and leaving. Bizarre ritual.  Seems a lot more fun and interesting to make my hips go up and down for about the same time frame.

Hey. I'm an American and I know that some Americans also struggle with common sense situations. Not fair to single out Thais because of your problem.

And drones seem to be a sensitive issue even in the USA. Read a story about a guy getting a $30k fine from the FAA for flying  drone. It was unclear what the FAA thought he'd done wrong. He'd just used it to  get photos of some kind of show and he got no compensation for it, and he couldn't get them to talk to him For a while the FAA was talking about requiring a pilot's license for flying a drone. And there is some outrageous fine they can assess for just not registering your drone with them before you fly it, more than $10k. Not surprised you are having a problem importing a drone.

I ordered something similar like a power glider plane equiped with FPV a XK DHC-2 A1200  from Banggood.com and it took me 10 days from china to honkong to Thailand got to pay extra charge for taxes but they let it true for the post office to deliver.

I did always buy my stuff either I a in canada or here in Buriram and get good service.

Paid in Thai baht cheaper for the exchange.

I'm not new to the fact that some Thais struggle with common sense situations.  OK, here's the long sad story...

given your patronising tone, seems the Thais got one over on you as regards the common sense stakes then, such a knowlegeable, all knowing farang doesnt reasearch whats availible locally, and decides to run the gaunlet with Thai customs and excise

Thais lacking common sense ?...pots and kettles spring to mind 

3 hours ago, i claudius said:

I have posted before some years ago my brother sent two large catering tins of marmite , i had so many problems , trying to get them ,i told them to eat it themselves , i hope they are still enjoying it ,:smile:

Been using it for axle grease 

A flame has been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

6 hours ago, yankee99 said:

Radio equipment is supposed to be approved by the thai nbtc so unfortunately customs is not out of line assuming this hasnt been approved

I ordered a radio transmitter/receiver from Banggood (Hongkong) online and it was delivered in a week without any issues...

Guess it's approved, i don't know. It's for drones though but i don't use it for that.

1 hour ago, alocacoc said:

I didn't read the entire topic, maybe it was mentioned already. There was a report on Thaivisa that the gov might bam drones; http://tech.thaivisa.com/drones-fitted-cameras-banned-thailand/3290/

I see that story is nearly a year old? 

I visited Thailand and passed through BKK onto Samui airport in October with a drone that has a camera, it was inspected at security in BKK airport before I got on the domestic flight to Samui, all they were concerned about were the batteries, I was waved through with no issues....