Help Identify Snake

action

Can anyone help me determine what kind of snake this is?  I have found 3 in my house within a week.  They are all just a few inches long.

I thought Python but I can't find any pythons with this diamond pattern on it's back.

I have small children and a dog.  I'd like to know how many there may be, how to get rid of them and if they are dangerous.    I'd also like to know where mom is.  (The snake's mom, not my mom).

Thank you

WIN_20170113_06_46_10_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170113_06_46_39_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170113_06_46_50_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170113_06_46_51_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170113_06_46_58_Pro.jpg

Yes, he does look very like a Malayan Pit Viper, even a baby is very dangerous.

https://www.thailandsnakes.com/venomous/front-fanged/malayan-pit-viper-venomous-very-dangerous/

Do NOT try to deal with them yourself, your first port of call should be your village head man (Puyai Baan) who should have the contact details of the local snake-man. Let him deal with your issue.

EDIT Definitely don't mess with these chaps, from the linked page:-

Offspring: Lay eggs. Female guards them. Young are about 9 inches long and fast and thin. They are fully able to bite, and have full strength venom.

Jeeze I found a snake at my house but nothing like this...  I'm afraid the Mum is around somewhere so isolate the area and get help QUICK, Personally I'd move the kids and dog out if that's possible until it's all dealt with. Good luck and thanks for posting. 

keep us updated

Well about an hour after my  post my wife called me at work and said "There's another one!"  

I came home and this one is outside the front door.  I'd say 4X bigger than the last one.  

Apparently the 'Snake Man' is on his way over. 

Thank you very much Lanna Guy,  but unless someone has a shotgun I'm not messing with it.

I'll let you know how it turns out.  If you don't hear from me again, it didn't turn out well.  

WIN_20170113_09_50_05_Pro.jpg

42 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

if you don't have one of these i have one - PM me if you need it

images (1).jpg

One of the most dangerous snakes in Thailand; partially because of its willingness to bite, partially because it will lie still until you get in range rather than leave like most snakes, and partially because of its strong venom.

With vipers we use this tool instead.

bamboo-rod.jpg

Edited by canuckamuck

1 hour ago, LannaGuy said:

I'd be very interested in how the 'snake man' deals with them. I'm assuming he'll despatch them swiftly. Keep us in touch must be VERY unnerving. I hate snakes I must say.

any proper snake man would capture and relocate, if he were however the thai snake guy, hell batter them to a pulp and take photos holding the crushed remains. 

i do hope its the latter

Have you seen the VERY sticky pads for catching mice/rats?       Very cheap and on a stiff card base.

They vary in size and design but will also catch snakes and if the pad/s are fixed to a board or inside cardboard box (with holes)  they  wont move around much once they're stuck.  

If you want to release them up country instead of drowning them , cooking oil poured over may do that.

BEWARE They could be as mad as all get out when all stuck up.

Edited by Jing Joe

10 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yes, he does look very like a Malayan Pit Viper, even a baby is very dangerous.

https://www.thailandsnakes.com/venomous/front-fanged/malayan-pit-viper-venomous-very-dangerous/

Do NOT try to deal with them yourself, your first port of call should be your village head man (Puyai Baan) who should have the contact details of the local snake-man. Let him deal with your issue.

EDIT Definitely don't mess with these chaps, from the linked page:-

Offspring: Lay eggs. Female guards them. Young are about 9 inches long and fast and thin. They are fully able to bite, and have full strength venom.

actually Ive found them to be very docile here and non aggressive even though  books  say they are "unpredictable" I get at least 2  or 3  a  year and just throw them over the road, they dont  move  much you can stand  right next to them, only out at  night hunting, usually sit  on my road so eays to spot, they are not a big snake by any means.............if I get to them first its ok, if the staff do its...............well kind of like this.

This one is quite a bit darker than mine which are sandy coloured

Also occasionally  get these  funny creatures, like a snake as its legs are almost redundant

20130108_000643.jpg

20140203_064608_resized.jpg