60 Days Tourist Visas Forever

Dear All, I have a simple question: is there a limit to the number of tourist visas one EU citizen can buy in 1 year from Thai embassies near Thailand? I mean: get a tourist visa for 1000 THB, stay in Thailand 2 months, go out and get another one, repeat the process over and over again, 6 times/year. No VoA in between, so no 1-2-3 marks on passort, no extensions of visa, just the simple, old fashioned tourist visa.

Will Immigration allow this?

Thanks

Lusty

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear All, I have a simple question: is there a limit to the number of tourist visas one EU citizen can buy in 1 year from Thai embassies near Thailand? I mean: get a tourist visa for 1000 THB, stay in Thailand 2 months, go out and get another one, repeat the process over and over again, 6 times/year. No VoA in between, so no 1-2-3 marks on passort, no extensions of visa, just the simple, old fashioned tourist visa.

Will Immigration allow this?

Thanks

Lusty

This is my question as well, and something I've been trying to find reference to on ThaiVisa.com for an hour now.

Where did the summary of visa regulations go? The home-page link simply drops one into the forum, with no pinned topics summarizing what one needs to know.

Limit 6 months on VoA. Fine. What about flying to Vietnam, Cambodia, Singapore (et al) and getting a 60+30 tourist visa from the embassy. Can one do that indefinitely?

Do not believe immigration has a problem with that plan but the Consulate you are using might tell you to go elsewhere at some point.

What if one changes consulates regularly? This doesn't have to be back-and-forth between Bangkok and, say, Hanoi. The travel destination can be varied.

Regards,

TJ

Based on recent developments it does not look like you would be allowed to live in Thailand indefinitely on tourist visas or on a combinaltion of tourist visas and visa-exempt entries. Tourists are expected to have a home in some other country to which they return after a touristic visit in Thailand. This is wherein your problem lies.

--

Maestro

The OP is trying to abuse the system. trying to find a loophole in the rules as was the endless boarder runs.

This is what I believe the Thai authorities are trying to stop.

In trying to do so, they also are tightning the rules for all of us (3 months 800k as an example)

It is not good in the long run to try and beat the system.

If you are not able to fit in one of the categories that the authorities have set, you need to find alternative plans or risk to be stuck at the border or at some consulate with a refusal to continue the abuse.

Good luck to all

If you are not able to fit in one of the categories that the authorities have set, you need to find alternative plans or risk to be stuck at the border or at some consulate with a refusal to continue the abuse.

This may very well start happening in Jan.

I, for one, do not understand why Thai Imm do not offer a 3 or 6 mo TV, since the whole idea involves generating more revenue (if they can't tax us, that is). There are a number of other countries that offer perma-tourists options to remain longer-term in their countries and spend, spend, spend.

But, noooooooo. Not in Thailand any longer. Chai may dai. Cannot let tourist stay and spend too much money. That bad for locals. Bad for Thailand.

Yes. Must tighten rules and force happy spenders elsewhere. Yes, that is solution...

...perma-tourists options to remain longer-term...and spend, spend, spend.

But, noooooooo. Not in Thailand any longer. Chai may dai. Cannot let tourist stay and spend too much money. That bad for locals. Bad for Thailand.

Yes. Must tighten rules and force happy spenders elsewhere. Yes, that is solution...

There is this other thread that seems to offer a solution for the rich who wish to live permanently in Thailand without working but do not meet the criteria for an extension of a non-O visa.

--

Maestro

There is this other thread that seems to offer a solution for the rich who wish to live permanently in Thailand without working but do not meet the criteria for an extension of a non-O visa.

Ah, yes. The Elite Card scam. Sorry, wouldn't fall for that one even if I were "rich" and had money to burn. 1M baht for a piece of plastic and an Immigration Policy that's like the shifting sands of the Sahara?! With a junta for a gov't that refuses to lift martial law for the entire country?!

No way, pal.

The simple point is many other countries offer more options for extended stay for tourists who have income from other sources and just want to chill for half a year or so, without having to jump through so many hoops all the time...

Based on recent developments it does not look like you would be allowed to live in Thailand indefinitely on tourist visas or on a combinaltion of tourist visas and visa-exempt entries. Tourists are expected to have a home in some other country to which they return after a touristic visit in Thailand. This is wherein your problem lies.

--

Maestro

What are the recent developments that will prohibit people staying long term on Tourist Visas?

The simple point is many other countries offer more options for extended stay for tourists who have income from other sources and just want to chill for half a year or so, without having to jump through so many hoops all the time...

That's a good thing then, isn't it? Just imagine what a boring world this would be if the entire planet consisted of only one country, whether this be Thailand or any other country. Variety is the spice of life!

--

Maestro

Ah, yes. The Elite Card scam. Sorry, wouldn't fall for that one even if I were "rich" and had money to burn. 1M baht for a piece of plastic and an Immigration Policy that's like the shifting sands of the Sahara?! With a junta for a gov't that refuses to lift martial law for the entire country?!

No way, pal.

You may not like it, you may say it, some may agree with you but in the end it is up to the Thais to make the rules and bear the consequences.

They opened their borders and made it very easy for short stays by holders of selected nationalities. the system was abused and they are re-arranging the rules, wether we like it or not.

Most of the short time high spending tourists will not be affected as 90 days out of 180 or a total of 6 months out of one year seems a decent period of stay allowed without the requirement for a visa.

What are the recent developments that will prohibit people staying long term on Tourist Visas?

1. Limitation of visa-exempt stays to maximum 90 days within 180 days.

2. Refusal of Thai consulates in the region to issue tourist visas valid for more than one entry.

3. Application of stamp by some Thai consulates in the region in the passport of applicants for a tourist visa with a text saying that the applicant will be given no more tourist visas at this consulate in the future.

--

Maestro

The OP is trying to abuse the system. trying to find a loophole in the rules as was the endless boarder runs.

In trying to do so, they also are tightning the rules for all of us (3 months 800k as an example)

Good luck to all

How can people be "abusing the system" when nobody really knows what that system is anymore? I see what you are trying to say, however.

Good luck to all

How can people be "abusing the system" when nobody really knows what that system is anymore? I see what you are trying to say, however.

I think it is quite simple

Short stays from certain countries = no visas for maximum 90 days within 180

Longer stays need to fit within one of the immigration designated categories and comply with the requirements (visa, extension, etc.)

It is like that for most other countries around the world as far as my experience goes.

Thailand has been 'soft' up to now in allowing their system to be abused (used as not intended)

I think it is up to each of us to make sure we have a B plan as nothing is secure or eternal not even in our own countries (laws, rules, benefits, etc.)

It should be OK if you keep applying the Tourist Visa each time in different countries/consulates in the Region.

Just avoid PP if you have more a couple of stamps and Manila .

There are plenty of other places in the region which can be discovered.

Good luck to all.

Edited by visarunner

Can anybody help me?

I have to go to apply for a visa on the 22nd of January but most people are telling me its a good idea to dit now before the rush in January. Where is the best, cheapest place to go? is it possible to get a one year multiple entry one still, if so where should i go for that? i dont mind paying more if i can get a one year one. Is the visa two months or thre months? is it possible to get the visa and then get it renewed each time it runs out without having to spend 90 days outside the country?or do you get the visa then get the stamp three times and then get the visa again? i really dont understand the best away around this without having to leave the ocuntry for three months. I want to book my air tickets online now so i am wondering where the best place to go is?

2. Refusal of Thai consulates in the region to issue tourist visas valid for more than one entry.

3. Application of stamp by some Thai consulates in the region in the passport of applicants for a tourist visa with a text saying that the applicant will be given no more tourist visas at this consulate in the future.

--

Maestro

Sorry there Maestro old buddy, #1 has nothing to do with the question, #2 doesn't necessarily stop one from staying here on TVs and #3 we've heard about but have you SEEN any "text" saying "no more tourist visas?" or is that there just hearsay? If it is, please keep it off the forum. Thanks. And sorry there, Lusty that there's so much darn speculation and so darn little regulation on here. Good luck telling the one from the other! :o

The embassy in Singapore refused me a 2nd tourist visa because they had previously issued me one not too long before. At least they refunded the application fee when I went to collect my passport unlike some other embassies.

Phnom Penh were reluctant to give me a Non-imm Ed visa although I had all the paperwork from the school I was studying at.

3 of us (myself, an Englishman wanting a tourist visa and a Nigerian lady whose husband worked at their Bangkok embassy) were kept waiting after the final whistle. The guard had even turned off the lights. Finally someone was rounded up to come and speak to us and return our passports.

After we were interviewed one by one we were given our visas but it was written in our passports in Thai and English that this was the last time we were allowed to apply at PP. He said this embassy is for Cambodians to apply and we should go elsewhere in the future!

After all that nonsense I went back home to get a multi non-imm.

Hope you don't mind me asking a simple (I thought) visa question here as the thread is active.

I'm coming from UK in Jan for 9 weeks, ie more than 60 days. I will probably leave for Laos after 30 days, but could be before 30 days.

Do I need a visa. I have to say the most confusing visa requirements I have ever encountered.

Good luck to all

I think it is quite simple

Short stays from certain countries = no visas for maximum 90 days within 180

Longer stays need to fit within one of the immigration designated categories and comply with the requirements (visa, extension, etc.)

It is like that for most other countries around the world as far as my experience goes.

Thailand has been 'soft' up to now in allowing their system to be abused (used as not intended)

I think it is up to each of us to make sure we have a B plan as nothing is secure or eternal not even in our own countries (laws, rules, benefits, etc.)

That's right, nothing is secure anywhere so you just keep doing what you're doing until you can do it no more, then you do something else

--

Maestro

Thanks, I thought maybe there were some other develpments I'd not yet seen.

Edited by tropo

can you please scan and post here what was written in thai and english.it will help many people .thanks.

Sorry no scanning equipment at the ranch but in the remarks area at the bottom of the blue sticker visa it is written in English: (exact wording)

PERMITED TO APPLY VISA AT PHNOM PENH FOR THE FINAL TIME

Just checked the Thai writing with the Mrs and it translates to :

enter study Thai language at [NAME OF SCHOOL]

I thought it was just the Thai translation of the English warning. Woops.

Hope you don't mind me asking a simple (I thought) visa question here as the thread is active.

I'm coming from UK in Jan for 9 weeks, ie more than 60 days. I will probably leave for Laos after 30 days, but could be before 30 days.

Do I need a visa. I have to say the most confusing visa requirements I have ever encountered.

If you are a UK passport holder you will get 30 days entry permit each time you arrive in Thailand.

if you leave within this period to Laos and then come back to Thailand for a second stay of maximum 30 days, you do not need a visa BUT :

You say you may stay longer than 30 days and you do not say how you will go from Thailand to Laos (air or land)

If there is a possibility of you staying longer than 30 days before crossing a border or of you intend to cross the border by land, get yourself a tourist visa double or triple entry before you leave. Tjis will give you 60 days stay for each entry in Thailand

...have you SEEN any "text" saying "no more tourist visas?" or is that there just hearsay?

It's just hearsay, Roger Dodger. Everything you read on this forum is what you read (hear) other people say. I have not held a passport with such writing in my hands, if that is what you mean. The first report I remember reading was by a ThaiVisa member who got this warning written in his passport by the Thai consulate in Phnom Penh, the second was in Yangon, the third in Singapore, all within the last four or five months.

--

Maestro

I think main goal was to generate income which wasnt being received by the 30day club. :o

A somewhat plausible theory. On the other hand, even more money will then be spent on travelling to Embassies or Consulates abroad; money that could well be collected in Thailand for Visa or Permission to stay stamp extensions.

Cost for a Visa trip to a neighboring country: Maybe on average 10000 Bt (Could be done quite cheaper with bus and so, but also more expensive routes possible).

Amont of money the Thai authorities make thereof: 20%

Instead give 1 Year extensions for say 40000 Bt -ö a win-win situation.

Sunny

Cost for a Visa trip to a neighboring country: Maybe on average 10000 Bt (Could be done quite cheaper with bus and so, but also more expensive routes possible).

Amont of money the Thai authorities make thereof: 20%

Instead give 1 Year extensions for say 40000 Bt -ö a win-win situation.

Exactly. This is why it's reasonable to assume that the whole "visa-shakeup" issue is not linked to money... :o

...have you SEEN any "text" saying "no more tourist visas?" or is that there just hearsay?

It's just hearsay, Roger Dodger. Everything you read on this forum is what you read (hear) other people say. I have not held a passport with such writing in my hands, if that is what you mean. The first report I remember reading was by a ThaiVisa member who got this warning written in his passport by the Thai consulate in Phnom Penh, the second was in Yangon, the third in Singapore, all within the last four or five months.

--

Maestro

Well, you can't teach old Maestro a new song!! Hehehehhe :o

I wasn't tryin to heat you up good buddy! I was just suggesting there that Lusty was askin about REGULATIONS and everybodys a chimin in with what they 'heard' and as you well know, it's never been easy getting a TV in Phnom Penh. That run's put the hassle of folks FOR YEARS! and that Rangoon run has seldom been much better. Having made both these runs several times in my 28 years in the LOS i can assure you all of that!! Now, i haven't heard anything about anyone being refused a Tourist Visa in Singapore and i follow this here forum quite closely. If you're referring to our man Guru, pls note that he was applying for a Non-Imm-Ed. Visa NOT a Tourist Visa.

And we should all remember... If we stick to them FACTS, it can't ALL be hearsay! :D

Now, i haven't heard anything about anyone being refused a Tourist Visa in Singapore and i follow this here forum quite closely.

Nothing new about Singapore either. Visa applicants arriving at the Thai embassy in the Lion City direct from Thailand looking for a back-to-back tourist visa have often been given a hard time in the past. Other types of visas have traditionally not been a problem in Singapore, given the proper paperwork. It's been a good place for people to receive multi-entry non-'O' visas with their marriage certificate, etc.