Racism, anger and why dual pricing makes sense to Thai people

snoop1130

19 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

So what?  It is an offer that apparently discriminates and thus should be illegal according to some made up law!

Anyway, if you think that was a bad example, don't worry, there are plenty to choose from.  Here's another: http://www.mycumbriacard.co.uk/

You are splitting hairs.

Reminder from the OP - In Thailand, this presents itself as differing prices for Thais and foreigners

Edited by maxpower
stuff

1 hour ago, hugh2121 said:

you can find plenty of examples of pricing that discriminates against tourists in almost any Farangland country.  

I have lived in/visited many western countries but have NEVER experienced what you suggest. In my home country, UK, it would be termed discriminatory and therefore illegal. Same in all EU countries. US? Who cares?

Ive never seen a promotion or pricing based on nationality in the US.  Pretty sure national origin is a protected class.  But you could offer a discount to people that can prove they live ina certain postal code which would eliminate anybody who is not a local.  

But the bigger point is that discrimination on citizenship is not the same as racism.  Especially when you consider the massive income disparity between your average Thai and the average tourist. 

But as I've repeatedly said, pricing based on residency would make more sense.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

If you had read through the posts you would have seen several links I posted that prove you are talking nonsense, many counties in the U.K. have offers only for county residents, it is completely normal, not discriminatory against tourists to offer locals discounts and thus not illegal.  Here is one more example to demonstrate to you that you have no idea what you are talking about.

http://www.pro-teccovers.co.uk/index.php/news-a-events/79-shows/78-20-discount-deal-for-all-scottish-residents

Can you produce a link to any resident card in UK offering 'Thai Price' (@double the entrance fee) to eligible couples with Thai spouses?

What was your screen name before your last ban and can you see how you gave that away?

Troll! :)

Edited by evadgib

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

Can you produce a link to any resident card in UK offering 'Thai Price' (@double the entrance fee) to eligible couples with Thai spouses?

What was your screen name before your last ban and can you see how you gave that away?

Troll! :)

I have never been banned, what the hell are you dribbling about?

What on earth is your question getting at?  I am producing evidence to dispute the claim that in the U.K. It is illegal to offer different groups different prices.

1 hour ago, maxpower said:

You are splitting hairs.

Reminder from the OP - In Thailand, this presents itself as differing prices for Thais and foreigners

I know there is a difference between residents of a region and citizens, I was merely pointing out that it is not illegal to charge different people different amounts in the UK.  If it is based on certain protected statuses, such as race, religion or sexuality, then it is, but redidency is not protected so it is not illegal.  And it is actually the same in Thailand, it would be ilkegal to charge white people more than Asians, but foreigners is well within the law.

8 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

No matter how you spin it, dual pricing is double standards. ask the rich Thai who buy houses in London or the UK. That is perfectly acceptable but UK people shouldn't be allowed houses here in Thailand. double standards, clear and simple. Ask them why and you will probably get the answer of "if the UK government are stupid to allow foreigners the ability to buy houses it's their fault". That is the mindset here and I doubt will change. Personally I would like tourist attractions in the UK go up 200% for Thais like in national parks, until there is equal parity.

What has uk law regarding property ownership got to do with Thailand?  You think there should be reciprocal agreements on property ownership?  Why?  I am British, ask me and I will say the same, it is stupid to allow anyone, even non residents to buy property in the UK, it is harmful to our own citizens, we have a major problem regarding young people not being able to buy their first house, of course it is stupid. Allowing anyone to buy in Thailand would cause the prices to rise out of reach of the average Thai, it would be a disaster.  Thailand is not making the same mistake the UK has made and you think it unfair, hilarious.  Now, the national parks are quite different, they subsidise Thai fares with foreigner fares, are you going to boycott lake Windermere because Cumbrians get to go cheaper than people from Manchester?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, digibum said:

Meanwhile in the US . . . National Parks are free on Martin Luther King Jr. Day

Not free in Thailand because, as we all know, Thailand's national parks are racist.  

National parks are subsided by taxpayers so taxpayers (including foreign residents) get discounted rates.

Same thing happens with health care and education in many western countries.

• Like 1

On 16/01/2017 at 9:48 AM, Shawn0000 said:

If you had read through the posts you would have seen several links I posted that prove you are talking nonsense, many counties in the U.K. have offers only for county residents, it is completely normal, not discriminatory against tourists to offer locals discounts and thus not illegal.  Here is one more example to demonstrate to you that you have no idea what you are talking about.

http://www.pro-teccovers.co.uk/index.php/news-a-events/79-shows/78-20-discount-deal-for-all-scottish-residents

I can guarantee that if anybody went there with enough cash for a purchase, they would get the discount. It is an advertising gimmick ONLY but some people are so thick that they believe it's true. 

2 hours ago, Shroud said:

Because vendors buy from these websites, such as lazada e.t.c. and profits from the margins they add.  

Depends on the items for sale. A lot of stuff is bought at border markets and brought by road to the local markets.

The market at Poipet crossing is/was very busy daily selling stuff from Cambo' to stall holders in quite a few of the Pattaya markets.

3 hours ago, hugh2121 said:

I can guarantee that if anybody went there with enough cash for a purchase, they would get the discount. It is an advertising gimmick ONLY but some people are so thick that they believe it's true. 

And you think that in any way disproves the fact that it is perfectly legal in the UK to sell different people the same thing for different prices?

3 hours ago, Shroud said:

Because vendors buy from these websites, such as lazada e.t.c. and profits from the margins they add.  

Lazada is a platform for Thai vendors, obviously they are buying the goods cheaper than they sell them for on Lazada, which by the way, is not a cheap online store, there are far cheaper places to buy the same goods in Thailand, sometimes for 50% of the price on Lazada.

19 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

And you think that in any way disproves the fact that it is perfectly legal in the UK to sell different people the same thing for different prices?

It is perfectly legal to get as much as you can for your wares. It is illegal to discriminate on the grounds of race.

4 hours ago, hugh2121 said:

It is perfectly legal to get as much as you can for your wares. It is illegal to discriminate on the grounds of race.

Yes, there are named protected classes for which it is illegal to discriminate against, but that is irrelevant considering the dual pricing in Thailand is based on an unprotected class which is nationality, this has exactly nothing to do with race despite some members posts of anecdotes referencing times when venders have mistaken foreign Asian tourists for Thais and so given them the Thai price.

5 minutes ago, evadgib said:

A stance reminiscent of Timothy Spalls performance in 'Denial' although thankfully he was only acting.

So you are saying you equate Thais being allowed into national parks cheaper than tourists to the holocaust?  Now that just may be the saddest post on here ever!

2 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

So you are saying you equate Thais being allowed into national parks cheaper than tourists to the holocaust?  Now that just may be the saddest post on here ever!

You're welcome to disagree but might like to checkout Brexit or other threads for examples of how to do so with a little more wit, humour or style...

Edited by evadgib

14 minutes ago, evadgib said:

You're welcome to disagree but might like to checkout Brexit or other threads for examples of how to do so with a little more wit, humour or style...

Yes, your comparison of you, with your little entrance fee to pay, to a victim of the holocaust was certainly stylish.

`

On 1/13/2017 at 11:54 PM, digibum said:

On your first point, how many permanent residents are there in Thailand?  

I'm guessing not many and I would be surprised if even one of them is commenting in this thread.  

Having a long-term visa, or rolling visas for many years is not the same as permanent residency.  

While I agree that if you are on a long-term visa like a retirement visa or have a work permit that you should get the local pricing at national parks, but if they draw the line at permanent residency or even citizenship, that's their prerogative.  

They award a few thousand PRs per year. You are eligible after three years of working and paying taxes on a non-imm visa. I personally know quite a few.

Actually I didn't say that a long term visa should get it. I said people paying local taxes should. Retiree's for example don't pay local taxes and therefore I don't see a reason to give them the discount. 

Of course I agree it is their prerogative. I'm just stating my opinion about what I personally perceive to be fair, nothing more.

On 1/13/2017 at 1:41 PM, fruitman said:

I buy a LOT from Banggood.com so i get everything for a cheaper price than the Thai vendors....i love that. And they even bring it to my house for free, give excellent service and give me birthdaypresents.

All farangs should do that! 

On 1/17/2017 at 9:51 AM, Shawn0000 said:

Lazada is a platform for Thai vendors, obviously they are buying the goods cheaper than they sell them for on Lazada, which by the way, is not a cheap online store, there are far cheaper places to buy the same goods in Thailand, sometimes for 50% of the price on Lazada.

Lazada is expensive in comparison to Aliexpress. and they sell the same stuff

Just now, yooyoo said:

Lazada is expensive in comparison to Aliexpress. and they sell the same stuff

An example; a Honda GX-435T brush cutter is 13.899 on Lazada, 12,715 on Aliexpress, but available in my small towns high street for 9000, no comparison.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That's ridiculous but believable. Did they spend double time on the one side? Giving half off would have involved thinking on the fly.

Yes, well any number of vulgar comments could be made about a quantity/size discount in the 'entertainment services' sector.