Travel to Spain

I have been living in Thailand for 12 years now and we have decided to move the family to Spain. I am a UK passport holder, my daughter by birth is also a UK passport holder. My Thai wife is married to me in Thailand and this marriage is registered in the UK. What problems are we going to have if we go for a holiday to Spain and later what can we expect in the way of visa requirements to take up residence there?

What problems are we going to have if we go for a holiday to Spain and later what can we expect in the way of visa requirements to take up residence there?

Oh boy. 555

In theory none at all, it should be a very straight forward and simple process for eligable family members of EU nationals (Directive 2004/38 freedom of movement): free visa, issued ASAP and with minimum documents or hassle. But... we are talking about Spain here and in particular the Spanish embassy in BKK (the Spanish MFA in Madrid knows better). So expect a lot of hassle...

See for starters (but there are sadly many more topics on this subject and Spain giving EU nationals and their Thai spouse/family major headaches...):

- http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/956308-freedom-of-movement-spain/

- http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/953407-spanish-visa-update/
- http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/911371-schengen-spain-visa-in-bangkok-for-non-thai/
- (immigration to spain) http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/949345-relocating-to-europe-with-an-unmarried-thai-partner/
- (Spain being silly and asking for 'validation of marriage') http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/948125-validating-a-thai-marriage-certificate/
- http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/926739-is-there-any-need-for-a-schengen-visa/
- http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/942335-surinder-singh-route-spanish-schengen-visa/
- http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/942091-spanish-schengen-visa-thai-girlfriend/
- http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/936673-schengen-visa-for-spain/
- etc etc etc

Edited by Donutz
spelling

9 hours ago, rogpayne said:

My Thai wife is married to me in Thailand and this marriage is registered in the UK

Just a matter of interest: Did you:

1) simply obtain a British marriage certificate?

or

2) obtain a Thai marriage certificate and get it registered in the UK?

If it is "2", how did you get the Thai marriage certificate registered in the UK?  

35 minutes ago, post said:

Just a matter of interest: Did you:

1) simply obtain a British marriage certificate?

or

2) obtain a Thai marriage certificate and get it registered in the UK?

If it is "2", how did you get the Thai marriage certificate registered in the UK?  

Hi, Yes we got the marriage registered through the British embassy. Certified translation of the Thai marriage certificate as I recall. (it was a while ago now, but I do have copies of the document somewhere.

Edited by rogpayne
spelling error
  • Like 1

MGB means that if you have confirmation of the British authorities that the marriage is registrated there that you shouldn't expect any hassle. The Brits stopped with such statements/letters from the embassy (an example is posted in one of the topics in my earlier reply here I believe) . So the Spanish may still have an issue with the documents from the OP being 'antique'  but they may indeed just process is free of hassle. That still doesn't make it right though, as Spain should not be asking such silly things in the first place, which causes a lot of Britons (and others) to end up with a headache.

Blame inproperly integration of the EU rules into Spanish law. The Spanish MFA in Madrid is very much aware that the law is wrong but I guess they cannot be bothered to correct it, though if one insists the MFAS will admit that confirmation/registration in the EU nationals home country of a marriage outside of the EU is b*llocks and not required at all. Embassy staff however seem to ignore or miss that memo...

On 15/1/2560 at 9:00 AM, grankboy said:

Better to apply for a Schengen visa for Germany and then fly into Spain, I understand the Spanish embassy will not issue the visa easy.

In view of all the warnings about the Spanish embassy I decided to apply via the Dutch embassy for my GF.

The weather here in the Netherlands is much like that found in the UK so you must feel right at home with our lovely weather. 

Did it all work out smoothly (as it is supposed to be)? Any tips or experience to share with readers? 

Take marriage cert to British Embassy in BKK and get a letter from them stating that marriage is recognized in the UK-if you have done this previously it should be OK, as long as its the same passports you both have.

Do you have property in Spain, if so, need copies of proof its your place.

Usual stuff, copies of passports, etc.

I have been getting visas foe my Thai wife from them for years. 

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 4:05 PM, hackjam said:

Take marriage cert to British Embassy in BKK and get a letter from them stating that marriage is recognized in the UK-if you have done this previously it should be OK, as long as its the same passports you both have.

That's not correct, the British Embassy will not do that

Recognition or Validity of Marriage

We do not provide the recognition of marriage and only Courts in England and Wales can recognise a marrige under English and Welsh Law, for more information please see Information Note on Recognition or Validity of Marriage  gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

• Like 1

Sorry, my experience is with the Irish Embassy.

As of December 19th, 2016, until further notice, short-term visa applications (“Schengen visas”) can be submitted at the new outsourced Visa Center “BLS International (Thailand) Limited”, from Monday to Friday 08.30 – 12.00 and 13.00 – 16.00 without prior appointment at the following address:

BLS International (Thailand) Ltd.,
Sermmit Tower, 17th Floor
159 Soi Sukhumvit 21 (Asoke) Road
Klong Toey Nuea, Watthana
Bangkok 10110.
Call Center no. +66 2 665 2525, ext. 505.

MRT Sukhumvit station
BTS Asoke station

Residence, work, study and family reunification visa application can be submitted at the Embassy, you will need to book an appointment, at least one month in advance. Please contact [email protected] to schedule an appointment.  

Visa applications will be submitted, with appointment only, on Tuesday and Thursday from 10.00 – 12.00.

Best regards,

Embajada de España en Bangkok / Embassy of Spain in Bangkok
Tfno: +66 (0)2 661 82 84-87     Fax: +66 (0)2 661 9220    
Sección Consular / Consular Section: [email protected]
193/98-99 Lake Rajada Office Complex, 23 Fl.
Ratchadapisek Road, Klongtoey, Bangkok 10110
Edited by hackjam

I hope I do not need to remind any one that the use of any service provider such as TLS, VFS and of course also BLS is entirely optional for all applicants, both regular and EEA family applications for a short stay visa. 

So one can still simply email the embassy for an appointment, to be granted within 2 weeks without service fee. 

And the Spanish are of course obligated to clearly communicate this on their website and/or at the website of their optional service provider. If they do not, I'd inform EU home affairs ( JUST-CITIZENSHIP {at} ec.europa.eu ).

8 hours ago, Donutz said:

I hope I do not need to remind any one that the use of any service provider such as TLS, VFS and of course also BLS is entirely optional for all applicants, both regular and EEA family applications for a short stay visa. 

So one can still simply email the embassy for an appointment, to be granted within 2 weeks without service fee. 

And the Spanish are of course obligated to clearly communicate this on their website and/or at the website of their optional service provider. If they do not, I'd inform EU home affairs ( JUST-CITIZENSHIP {at} ec.europa.eu ).

Fine in theory Donutz but the Italian embassy refused point blank to process my GF's application last year and sent her to VfS.

4 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Fine in theory Donutz but the Italian embassy refused point blank to process my GF's application last year and sent her to VfS.

The one in Thailand or the UK? The one in Thailand has a document on their website with instructions on how to make a direct appointment. If the Italians in the UK don't do this you may wish to point them to article 17.5 of the Schengen Code on Visa and their obligation to provide complete and correct information. An additional handbook (see sticky topic ) spells it all out. And if you point out that their colleagues in TH are getting it right and CC the mail to EU home affairs you have a good change of getting both a direct application and them updating their website.

Not just in theory, back in 2014 I checked with all Schengen embassies in TH and tested to see if they would give a direct appointment and/or pointed out their website lacked instructions on direct appointments. In most cases quoting the Visa Code and handbook was enough to get them.to update their website. The last one or two who kept on denying changed their minds after I forwarded their illegal practices to EU home affairs and the EU delegation in Thailand. So you may need a bit of polite and persistant e-mailing back and forth but should be able to get direct access and, more importantly, public i formation on these instructions so you don't need to have an argument again in the future. Don't give up after the first negative reply which might simple be incompetence or then seeing if you will bow to silly demands without any resistance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Donutz said:

The one in Thailand or the UK? The one in Thailand has a document on their website with instructions on how to make a direct appointment. If the Italians in the UK don't do this you may wish to point them to article 17.5 of the Schengen Code on Visa and their obligation to provide complete and correct information. An additional handbook (see sticky topic ) spells it all out. And if you point out that their colleagues in TH are getting it right and CC the mail to EU home affairs you have a good change of getting both a direct application and them updating their website.

Not just in theory, back in 2014 I checked with all Schengen embassies in TH and tested to see if they would give a direct appointment and/or pointed out their website lacked instructions on direct appointments. In most cases quoting the Visa Code and handbook was enough to get them.to update their website. The last one or two who kept on denying changed their minds after I forwarded their illegal practices to EU home affairs and the EU delegation in Thailand. So you may need a bit of polite and persistant e-mailing back and forth but should be able to get direct access and, more importantly, public i formation on these instructions so you don't need to have an argument again in the future. Don't give up after the first negative reply which might simple be incompetence or then seeing if you will bow to silly demands without any resistance.

Sorry, should have stated that it was the Italian embassy in Bangkok.

11 hours ago, Jip99 said:

They couldn't have been more helpful when my wife applied a couple of years ago, they issued the visa in the afternoon to avoid another trip to collect it.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

They couldn't have been more helpful when my wife applied a couple of years ago, they issued the visa in the afternoon to avoid another trip to collect it.

That is good to hear - as it should be - my experience was not as favourable.

8 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Maybe a difference between girlfriend and wife application?

I am sure that may be the case.

We have been together more years than many married applicants and I have sponsored 6 UK Visa applications.