Backpack or Man Bag?

Inspire

Backpack or Man Bag?

Orlando Barton

back-main.jpg

My mother used to say you could judge a man’s character by his shoes. Scuffed up and poorly maintained shoes were a sign of self-loathing. Highly shinned flashy shoes indicated a lack of self-confidence or over compensation for something. Fast forward to the modern era and that would make men very tough to read. Get on the Skytrain in BKK and you’ll see everything from vintage canvass high-tops to those awful rubber Crocs with the holes in them. You’d have to get a degree in psychology to delineate those signals.

Perhaps the modern day version of shoe-reading is bag-telling. That’s the story this week’s picture tells. When you’re out in public, everyone is carrying some kind of bag to tote all the stuff they need. It used to be only women who carried these accessories, but now it’s everybody.

The idea of a “man bag” isn’t new. This notion has come into vogue in a few decades but never lasted that long. Back in the 1970’s my uncle carried what he called a “hippy bag”. It was made of hemp and slung over his shoulder. He needed it to carry his bong and extra pair of bellbottom jeans. The 80’s and 90’s also had their turns suffering the “man purse” phase, but nothing stuck. Then came the backpack and I-Pad.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/backpack-man-bag/

inspire_pattaya_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Inspire Pattaya 2017-01-14

Man bag if not carrying any bulky items (used on whilst working in Taiwan, but not sure if I would use one in the UK)  Back packs are great for travel (not so much when you get off the plane and the guy next to you turns around knocking you sideways with his over stuffed back pack) annoying when in confined spaces.

18 minutes ago, ChangMaiSausage said:

Man bag if not carrying any bulky items (used on whilst working in Taiwan, but not sure if I would use one in the UK)  Back packs are great for travel (not so much when you get off the plane and the guy next to you turns around knocking you sideways with his over stuffed back pack) annoying when in confined spaces.

Get them to sling their back pack to the front...

1 hour ago, curtklay said:

Man bag? I thought they were called Fag bags.

Only by boozy bar stool squatting homophobic rednecks with repressed sexuality who fear their feminine side will take over their weak masculine side.

Go on treat yourself, try calling everyone with a bag a fag and let us know how it works out.

3 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I have used the same man bag all my life. Pockets. Got a wallet, got a phone, and keys. That's it.

I use my pockets, usually crammed full. But carrying extra useful things, when needed means using a bag / case of some kind. 

iPad mini or iPad, note book, pens, sunglasses, keys, car keys, knife, flashlight, compass, passport (when required) forms, credit and other cards, etc etc.

I still keep my keys and wallet in my pockets always, get too many panic attacks if suddenly feel empty pockets! 

But some people just love all that loose change rattling around against the family jewels!

i have something similar to this, essential for passport, cards, money, phone,   laptop / notebook while travelling

also does me for beach and about town on motorbike for towel, wireless speakers, phone, wallet and spare t-shirt. 

Bendly-Men-Women-Casual-Green-Nylon-Sling-Bag-44.jpeg

Edited by pumpjack

7 hours ago, trogers said:

A man bag slinged to your front helps you avoid being a victim of a pickpocket, and the bag is large enough to help those forgetful with items placed.

Spot on. I use one here all the time. But back in the UK? Never!

Thought the bag was too gay until I bought a Kindle Paperwhite; now I use a very brightly colored one so as not to lose my $200 worth of Ereader, camera, sunglasses, phone, keys, and bottle of water. Just can't lug all that stuff in my pockets and the bright colors of the bag prevent me from leaving it behind anywhere.

Thought the bag was too gay until I bought a Kindle Paperwhite; now I use a very brightly colored one so as not to lose my $200 worth of Ereader, camera, sunglasses, phone, keys, and bottle of water. Just can't lug all that stuff in my pockets and the bright colors of the bag prevent me from leaving it behind anywhere.

When it's slung on your shoulder do you ever accosted by gentlemen?

[emoji102]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Never take it off. Putting it on the chair next to you at airports or food courts while your distracted eating or reading... Guess what will happen?

12 hours ago, mcfish said:

I have a man bag here and feel naked without it. Back in OZ I would be labelled as gay

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

This is true,but at my age i am beyond caring.I have graduated from hippy shoulder bag to man bag.The shoulder bag was just full of crap and i couldn't find my lippy.Now with a man bag with it's many zippered compartments i know where everything is.