stop whining and enjoy your only paradise

redwinecheese

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

It can be done- one can live in the tourist ghettos of the country and interact in English only

...in Chiang Mai

53 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

but that is not the real Thailand- it's the fake Thailand - the one in which the 2 week millionaires  exist.

...in Pattaya.

3 hours ago, morrobay said:

Unlike English if a Thai word is not pronounced ( tone) 100% correctly  they will  not understand it.

Anyway the girls speak bamboo Engish. Who else would you want to talk to ???

Oh I dunno.........the taxi driver, the engineer you hire to fix your A/C, the mechanic to service your motorbike, and the bank teller to name just a few.

Of course, you could just resign yourself to being yet  another farang berk who relies on his "wife" or "girlfriend" to conduct negotiations for him and just hands over his wallet when she tells him the price which is almost inevitably jacked up to include a nice little cut for her.

These men are such losers.

They inevitably step up to the forum asking if, despite being reasonably certain that their new family is slagging them off in Thai, should they keep on dishing out the monthly allowance and letting the wife's friends camp out on the living room floor drinking Hong Thong every night until 3am.

4 hours ago, morrobay said:

Unlike English if a Thai word is not pronounced ( tone) 100% correctly  they will  not understand it.

Anyway the girls speak bamboo Engish. Who else would you want to talk to ???

This is not true. Thai is usually spoken in a particularly context and it is my experience that the correct word order is generally sufficient to be understood by the vast majority of Thais.

I know I always go on about this, yes, the majority of Thais are good, decent, helpful people, now here comes the but, the driving and motorbike riding mentality of most Thais, just look at the dreadful road statistics, that means an awful lot of these good, decent, helpful Thais, and most of them either drive or ride, have got very questionable mentality. 

4 hours ago, khunpa said:

One day you will realise that Thai people are no different than others.

The things that make this place a "paradise" is The Weather, The Price Level and The Lively Women.

But good you have a positive attitude. Add a bit of Common Sense and you should be just fine ;-)

But keep that common sense for on the roads, that's where you will need it most.

8 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

Oh I dunno.........the taxi driver, the engineer you hire to fix your A/C, the mechanic to service your motorbike, and the bank teller to name just a few.

Of course, you could just resign yourself to being yet  another farang berk who relies on his "wife" or "girlfriend" to conduct negotiations for him and just hands over his wallet when she tells him the price which is almost inevitably jacked up to include a nice little cut for her.

They inevitably step up to the forum asking if, despite being reasonably certain that their new family is slagging them off in Thai, should they keep on dishing out the monthly allowance and letting the wife's friends camp out on the living room floor drinking Hong Thong every night until 3am.

I gave my lass 1500 Baht to pay for dinner last night and smirked loudly when the total was 1540 Baht.

She'll never get one over on me I thought....

7 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I know I always go on about this, yes, the majority of Thais are good, decent, helpful people, now here comes the but, the driving and motorbike riding mentality of most Thais, just look at the dreadful road statistics, that means an awful lot of these good, decent, helpful Thais, and most of them either drive or ride, have got very questionable mentality. 

Lighten up Mrs!!

5 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Last but not least please get out of your arrogant way of thinking and cherish the lives of these great super human beings.

Are these the same people who will go to ANY lengths to not lose face, find it impossible to apologise if they make a mistake, and think amulets will save them in a life or death situation ?

Thaiwrath

And also that think that stealing something is a given,because "felang can buy new" And also borrowing money from the sister who has had to work most of her life in a factory for a pittance making Addidas trainers,and never return it,and cusses the sister up and down the street because she asked for it back.And shoot and kill their girlfriend be cause they have been rejected.And leave loaded firearms around the house for kids to get hold of.I wont get into the rape and disgusting beliefs they have about women.Enough said.

6 hours ago, Mousehound said:

The problem is we are all looking for Utopia.  And, if it existed at all we would all be there. And then it would no longer be Utopia.

Sounds like you are talking about yesterdays beach resort... 

Maybe trying looking inside, then integrating some of the outside too... utopia is an individual place, yours is not mine, mine is not yours... 

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

Are these the same people who will go to ANY lengths to not lose face, find it impossible to apologise if they make a mistake, and think amulets will save them in a life or death situation ?

Just pointing out that the quote you selected is from the OP and not my words.  I quoted that section myself but called it trolling.

1 hour ago, sandemara said:

Learn the language, otherwise you're doomed. Or maybe not. Ignorance can be bliss. Good luck.

Know lots of people here doing just fine without knowing the language. But of course we will all need to know it, when everybody in the world soon will be speaking Thai :-)

4 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

Has definite trust issues. 

Firstly I'm calling Troll on the OP but given he's elicited some decent replies I'll play along.

I'm surprised nobody has picked up on the "your only paradise" part don't know about the OP but (at the moment), I plan on moving to Thailand because I want to move there, not because I have to.

Expats (ok, at least us Brits) complain wherever we are (including/especially when in the UK but you should hear us Singapore Expats complaining about life here)

Fact is people with too little to complain about will always find something to fill the gap.

1 hour ago, JB300 said:

Firstly I'm calling Troll on the OP but given he's elicited some decent replies I'll play along.

I'm surprised nobody has picked up on the "your only paradise" part don't know about the OP but (at the moment), I plan on moving to Thailand because I want to move there, not because I have to.

Expats (ok, at least us Brits) complain wherever we are (including/especially when in the UK but you should hear us Singapore Expats complaining about life here)

Fact is people with too little to complain about will always find something to fill the gap.

And people with way too much time on their hands. If the OP is not trolling, it's pretty silly to complain on a forum about others complaining on a forum.

Archived