Back in black: Wastewater returns to Phuket’s Surin Beach

webfact

Back in black: Wastewater returns to Phuket’s Surin Beach

Eakkapop Thongtub

1484538112_1-org.jpg

Phuket tourists enjoy a day at Surin Beach yesterday (Jan 15) while the pool of wastewater festers in the foreground. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- Black wastewater returned to Phuket’s Surin Beach yesterday (Jan 15), angering local residents and receiving no response from local officials – while tourists enjoyed the beach and played in the beach water nearby.

The dark pool, flowing from a public drain that empties onto the beach, extended some 30 metres long and carried the stench of wasterwater into the air.

“This has been happening for years and the problem just gets keeps getting worse,” said one of many local residents on the beach yesterday.

“We’re fed up with it, and we’re considering fixing the problem ourselves,” the woman, who asked not to be named, told The Phuket News.

In late November, MaAnn Samran, Chief of the Cherng Talay Tambon Administration Organisation (OrBorTor), vowed to “fix the problem” by ordering a backhoe to clear the rank pool. 

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/back-in-black-wastewater-returns-to-phuket-surin-beach-60636.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-01-16

Or Bor Tor MaAnn said last year that once all the businesses were removed from the Surin beach area , this "Black Hole of Surin" would disappear.

Absolute rubbish !!

At great expense , a small  'water treatment plant' was built up near the main rd.

It has never worked or been seen running , and the black scum accumulating on what is arguably Phukets premier beach arrives via a pipe coming from that plant.

About a month back I took pics of that stinking pond , as Sewage trucks were pumping it dry.

A couple of days later , the dregs left were covered up by fresh sand by government staff.

Within a week , a new stain appeared.

Three weeks later its back again.

The appalling mismanagement of this beach  could bring one to tears.

But Kamala is also facing an onslaught.

There is s a klong runs next to the beachfront Novotel on the northern end.

Currently what was a clear stream is a now a  murky grey sludgy mess staining a beautiful patch of seascape its bleeding in to   - courtesy of work done by  our 'clean , green' friends ( choke ! ) MontAzure.

And Cafe del Mar and HQ Beachclubs claim to be in paradise locations.

Jesus.

52 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

Or Bor Tor MaAnn said last year that once all the businesses were removed from the Surin beach area , this "Black Hole of Surin" would disappear.

Absolute rubbish !!

At great expense , a small  'water treatment plant' was built up near the main rd.

It has never worked or been seen running , and the black scum accumulating on what is arguably Phukets premier beach arrives via a pipe coming from that plant.

About a month back I took pics of that stinking pond , as Sewage trucks were pumping it dry.

A couple of days later , the dregs left were covered up by fresh sand by government staff.

Within a week , a new stain appeared.

Three weeks later its back again.

The appalling mismanagement of this beach  could bring one to tears.

But Kamala is also facing an onslaught.

There is s a klong runs next to the beachfront Novotel on the northern end.

Currently what was a clear stream is a now a  murky grey sludgy mess staining a beautiful patch of seascape its bleeding in to   - courtesy of work done by  our 'clean , green' friends ( choke ! ) MontAzure.

And Cafe del Mar and HQ Beachclubs claim to be in paradise locations.

Jesus.

You nailed it. Montazure is Kamala's very own on-going environmental disaster. 

What a dump. Funny that Phuket makes over 1 trillion a year in revenue but can't get simple infrastructure in order. My contract is up in 19 months and I'm out of this dump. More attractive job opportunities call and Phuket isn't what it once was. Myanmar Accor group already exceed expectations.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

This is not news.

They have been reaping for years but are too miserable to sow.

English saying, kill the goose that lays golden eggs

Same on most of the islands & in the end it will choke everything & the tourists will hear from word of mouth 

that Thailand is one big septic pond surrounded by rubbish & stay away.

Mr Tourism Minister I implore you, put a moratorium on tourist numbers until your waste disposal systems of all kinds

are brought up to speed.

5555 fat chance

I enjoyed my two trips to phuket in 2013 and 2014.  Karon beach seemed pretty clean and I love being able to turn around and see the big white buddha up on the hill.  A few days in Patong were OK.  But now can't even rent a lounge chair and an umbrella?  What the heck is going on?  As a tourist I don't mind paying for renting stuff, but now can't?

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

I enjoyed my two trips to phuket in 2013 and 2014.  Karon beach seemed pretty clean and I love being able to turn around and see the big white buddha up on the hill.  A few days in Patong were OK.  But now can't even rent a lounge chair and an umbrella?  What the heck is going on?  As a tourist I don't mind paying for renting stuff, but now can't?

The beach vendors practically took over the beach, to the point that if you didn't hire a lounge, you were harassed and told you couldn't stay on the beach. 

It got out of hand, not to mention all the kick backs to officials who allowed them to operate, because it's illegal to operate any form of business on a beach.  

5 hours ago, andreww said:

What everyone can do is take a photo of this toxic dump and post it on Trip Advisor:
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g293920-d1161253-Reviews-Surin_Beach-Phuket.html

Once Surin's rating drops below 3*, local businesses will fix the problem themselves or will face very very quiet low season.

This got quite a reaction, back in 2011, yet this issue still continues. 

The more things change here, the more they stay the same.  This is why Phuket is slipping backwards, rapidly now. 

http://www.phuketgazette.net/articles/articles/get_article_detail/10407

11 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

The beach vendors practically took over the beach, to the point that if you didn't hire a lounge, you were harassed and told you couldn't stay on the beach. 

It got out of hand, not to mention all the kick backs to officials who allowed them to operate, because it's illegal to operate any form of business on a beach.  

I agree Patong beach was way over crowded with stuff, but Karon beach I thought was not over crowded with lounge chairs and umbrellas.  So if I go to Karon next week there won't be any loungers with umbrellas?