Vientiane SETV - Requiring extra paperwork same as Savannakhet ?

7 hours ago, Get Real said:

If you want to turn everything around, it´s ok by me. I do think that you know exactly what I mean, and just trying to start a discussion for your own amusement again.
I mean plainly that too many people use tourist visas back to back after eachother to be able to use them as a tool for long stay. IMO it would be nice to see that they start asking for more funds after the second tourist visa in 1 year is used. Then you solve half of the problem with many cases where people can enter the country on a to low budget, and after that work from here to survive without a work permit. That was just 1 example of what can be solved with stricter rules regarding too many applications for tourist visas when there are other to use for long stay. Off course people have to qualify for them, but that´s just a good thing.

Why do you bother posting or responding to threads you have no valuable input to add and I don't think people are interested in what you have to say or what you add to the thread as its just negative ,if you don't like Thailand why are you here ,but I suppose your not and your in some other country.

The person I feel sorry for is your wife or girlfriend who has to put up with you on a daily basis.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paul18620 said:

Why do you bother posting or responding to threads you have no valuable input to add and I don't think people are interested in what you have to say or what you add to the thread as its just negative ,if you don't like Thailand why are you here ,but I suppose your not and your in some other country.

The person I feel sorry for is your wife or girlfriend who has to put up with you on a daily basis.

First of all. The input is very valuable for everyone that wants to have no problem with their stay in Thailand.
Second I am living in Thailand on a permanent basis since 16 years.
Third My family and I which is wife, daugther and me, are mostly happy together without problem.

See you very wrong on all accounts. Don´t be sad. It happens to people.

3 minutes ago, Get Real said:

First of all. The input is very valuable for everyone that wants to have no problem with their stay in Thailand.
Second I am living in Thailand on a permanent basis since 16 years.
Third My family and I which is wife, daugther and me, are mostly happy together without problem.

See you very wrong on all accounts. Don´t be sad. It happens to people.

the topic of the thread is :Vientiane SETV - Requiring extra paperwork same as Savannakhet

so please explain why your quote/input of :I hope they ask for more funds

has anything to do with getting a tourist visa as the required amount is 20,000 bhat for a tourist visa and this is clearly displayed at the Thai consulate /Thai Embassy Websites  but with your irrelevant comment it just confuses people ,people come on this site to get the correct information on how to get things that they want in Thailand ,just a pity some members feel the need to sit at the keyboard and type irrelevant comments like you do.

1 hour ago, timberpond said:

The Thai gov are being very clear... We want you to come as a tourist and spend money here. Show us 1000 USD and we permit you to stay for 60 days to spend that money. After 60 days things start to set in and you will start spending with a budget like a local... we don't want that. 

I can't get a work permit - That's because you are not the kind of talent we are looking for.

I don't want to get marry or have any kids - Then what is your contribution in this country?

I have lotsa money and I want to stay in Thailand - We welcome you with open arms and please apply for a Thai elite visa.

I have no money nor talent and I also doesn't want to get marry nor have any kids in Thailand - You are exactly the problem why we keep strengthening the rules to keep you out and in between we had offended other categories visitors unnecessary.  

Then there are those who are under 50, not married, spend many times what a local spends, could easily get a work-permit/job but are retired, and who follow the laws and regulations for Tourist Visas as they exist.  We are too old for starting a family (my opinion), and while our income is quite enough for us, it is not enough to raise a family at a a good standard-of-living and fill college-fund accounts.  We will not ever buy an Elite, because it is money down the drain (vs an investment), and other countries in the region have long-term visas for a tiny-fraction of the cost. 

So far, all Savanahket is doing is enforcing existing regulations.  It would be fine by me if they increased the money to show, but for now, the rule is 20K Baht.  No reports yet that Vientiane is asking for even this, yet.  If people in this category were not making what the authorities consider to be substantial contributions (we are), they would have limited stays on Tourist Visas to a set number of days/yr, or a limit on how many visas/yr. 

For those who are evidently angry that people like me, described above, can spend most of our time here on Tourist Visas, you evidently disagree with the authorities who make the rules.  Should the rules change as you desire in the future, you will get your wish, we will move elsewhere, and millions of Thai people will loose their incomes - all so you can have your sweet-smug satisfaction.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Then there are those who are under 50, not married, spend many times what a local spends, could easily get a work-permit/job but are retired, and who follow the laws and regulations for Tourist Visas as they exist.  We are too old for starting a family (my opinion), and while our income is quite enough for us, it is not enough to raise a family at a a good standard-of-living and fill college-fund accounts.  We will not ever buy an Elite, because it is money down the drain (vs an investment), and other countries in the region have long-term visas for a tiny-fraction of the cost. 

So far, all Savanahket is doing is enforcing existing regulations.  It would be fine by me if they increased the money to show, but for now, the rule is 20K Baht.  No reports yet that Vientiane is asking for even this, yet.  If people in this category were not making what the authorities consider to be substantial contributions (we are), they would have limited stays on Tourist Visas to a set number of days/yr, or a limit on how many visas/yr. 

For those who are evidently angry that people like me, described above, can spend most of our time here on Tourist Visas, you evidently disagree with the authorities who make the rules.  Should the rules change as you desire in the future, you will get your wish, we will move elsewhere, and millions of Thai people will loose their incomes - all so you can have your sweet-smug satisfaction.

An average thai living in the city now spend an average 20k baht a month includes pay for car and mortgage. You spend many times more than them but accept it, there are also many slug living marginally in CM itself. The authorities seem to be targeting these group of people. I personally don't think that millions of thai will lose their job if this group is gone and with you gone will be just a collateral damage in the process. 

4 minutes ago, timberpond said:

An average thai living in the city now spend an average 20k baht a month includes pay for car and mortgage. You spend many times more than them but accept it, there are also many slug living marginally in CM itself. The authorities seem to be targeting these group of people. I personally don't think that millions of thai will lose their job if this group is gone and with you gone will be just a collateral damage in the process. 

Do you have any proof of that purported targeting. I have seen nothing in the news or on this forum about it.

39 minutes ago, paul18620 said:

the topic of the thread is :Vientiane SETV - Requiring extra paperwork same as Savannakhet

so please explain why your quote/input of :I hope they ask for more funds

has anything to do with getting a tourist visa as the required amount is 20,000 bhat for a tourist visa and this is clearly displayed at the Thai consulate /Thai Embassy Websites  but with your irrelevant comment it just confuses people ,people come on this site to get the correct information on how to get things that they want in Thailand ,just a pity some members feel the need to sit at the keyboard and type irrelevant comments like you do.

Your opinion is noted

4 minutes ago, timberpond said:

Those I was speaking of - who are contributing to Thai jobs - are not "living marginally," and I agree the tightening of restrictions on Tourist-Visa applications appears to be designed to root-out those who cannot meet the travel and proof-of-income requirements.  It may be "a bother," but is not unreasonable to ask an applicant to provide proof of 20K Baht and show the ability to purchase a plane ticket (whether they use it or not). 

I doubt "average" Thais spend 20K.  I spend a bit over 40K/mo, myself, and save the rest for my future.  This includes a nice condo with ocean-view, eating out, etc.  It's plenty.

That said, even the marginal ones - say 20K/mo spending foreigners - do contribute, including the many over-50s on retirement extensions.  20K/mo is about what a minimum US-retirement pays via Social Security.  A German told me his is similar.  All income from abroad contributes to Thai jobs.  Every dollar/euro a foreigner brings in, is money that would be spent in another country if they leave.  It is a zero-sum game.  If these "marginal" folks eat street-food, there are street-vendors who will not be able to stay afloat if they leave.  Same for their landlords of their cheap apartments, etc.  It adds up.  No harm done.

• Like 1

If the budget is 20k/mo then I don't see them wanting this group gone and these people should be able to meet the requirement comfortably. There are people living on a 9k budget and I bet we all met someone like this at some point. An average thai living in the city with a car or house do spend 20k/mo. Every country hope to improve financially for the people and attracts the right kinda visitors in their context.     

Was here yesterday, and 3 people in front didn't have either proof of 20k in bank account (one guy had 20k cash which was rejected), or an outbound ticket.

All were turned away regardless of the arguments made .

It seems it would just be easier to have the correct docs.

Perhaps they don't visit Thai Visa regularly for updated info!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, firewight said:

Was here yesterday, and 3 people in front didn't have either proof of 20k in bank account (one guy had 20k cash which was rejected), or an outbound ticket.
All were turned away regardless of the arguments made .
It seems it would just be easier to have the correct docs.
Perhaps they don't visit Thai Visa regularly for updated info!

You said "either" - were they allowing "either" bank-funds or a plane-ticket - or requiring both? 

I have well over the bank-funds, and I really don't want to waste money on an unnecessary ticket, but will do so if it is required.

18 minutes ago, firewight said:

I assume you mean Savannakhet not Vientiane which this topic is about.

You said "either" - were they allowing "either" bank-funds or a plane-ticket - or requiring both? 
I have well over the bank-funds, and I really don't want to waste money on an unnecessary ticket, but will do so if it is required.

Apologies I meant Savannakhet, however they required both the proof of funds and the outbound ticket...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk