Vientiane SETV - Requiring extra paperwork same as Savannakhet ?

Anyone received an SETV in the last week at the Vientiane consulate ?

Are they requiring more paperwork like Savannakhet now - 20k bank statement, flight out in 60 (or is it 90 days ?), hotel booking/apt. lease etc ?

I only currently have 1 SETV in my passport, but will want to prepare any other 'bureau-crap' hoop jumping paperwork in advance...

Edited by freedomnow

I was refused a sixty day tourist visa yesterday at Savannakhet and so were the two guys in the queue behind me.They asked to see a Thai bank account,I informed them that every bank I had visited told me that without a work permit they wouldn't give me an account.They then asked to see cash so I showed them twenty thousand baht,told not enough even though the poster on the wall in front of me states twenty thousand baht,showed them another twenty thousand baht,how much does one need to live in Thailand for two to three months?Then asked for UK bank statement and a copy of flight ticket home.

At Thai arrivals  I was asked why I didn't have a visa,I asked them where I could get a Thai bank account without a work permit as their Embassy in Laos is now demanding to see Thai bank accounts,no answer was forthcoming and I was given thirty days and a print out saying only two thirty day visas allowed per year by land.

Such questions are becoming standard at other Thai consulates in last year or so.

In November 2016 I got a SETV at Ho Chi Ming City and they asked for

• A Tfai bank account OR proof of funds to live in Thailand or 60 days
  • Hotel eservations OR proof of residence (monthly rental reciepts would do)
  • An out of Thailand ticket after 60 days
  • Visa fee must be paid in U.S. dollars

I had them so I got the visa

11 hours ago, vesparally180 said:

I was refused a sixty day tourist visa yesterday at Savannakhet and so were the two guys in the queue behind me.They asked to see a Thai bank account,I informed them that every bank I had visited told me that without a work permit they wouldn't give me an account.They then asked to see cash so I showed them twenty thousand baht,told not enough even though the poster on the wall in front of me states twenty thousand baht,showed them another twenty thousand baht,how much does one need to live in Thailand for two to three months?Then asked for UK bank statement and a copy of flight ticket home.

At Thai arrivals  I was asked why I didn't have a visa,I asked them where I could get a Thai bank account without a work permit as their Embassy in Laos is now demanding to see Thai bank accounts,no answer was forthcoming and I was given thirty days and a print out saying only two thirty day visas allowed per year by land.

Requiring a bank-statement (Thai-bank or elsewhere) is standard at some other consulates - cash not accepted.  A flight going anywhere out of Thailand would have been accepted (not only 'home').  A rental-contract may also help.  The fact they will accept Thai-bank account statements and rental-contracts demonstrates they are keeping the window open to longer-stay applicants..

If you shop around bank-branches, you can get a Thai bank account on a Tourist Visa or Visa-Exempt entry and no work-permit.  It is easier if you have a Thai friend come with to vouch for you.  Explain you need a place to transfer money for immigration. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stevymac said:

Do they require proof of funds for a marriage visa??? Hope they don't!

They are not asking for proof of funds to get a non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai. A marriage visa does not exist.

I have just opened two accounts in the Bangkok Bank using a UK Embassy Certified Copy of my passport.  When I was in the Embassy the lady at the  counter said that the UK Embassy and the Bangkok Bank have an arrangement that the Certified passport copy is enough to get an account.  She also stated that its not filtered down to all Branches (no shock there).  She advised the Branch at Central Embassy Shopping Complex, I went with my partner..all very painless

At the moment I am still on a tourist visa

12 hours ago, vesparally180 said:

A Finnish friend of mine was there on Monday and applied for a SETV, he gave them a bank statement from Finland and this was accepted without question

Such questions are becoming standard at other Thai consulates in last year or so.

How many Tourist Visas did you have in your Passport?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

" An out of Thailand ticket after 60 days "

I don't know about anyone else but I find this aspect particularly confusing and even a bit illogical especially now because I'm sure one of the main reasons for offering free visas has been to try and lure more tourists to Thailand. I'm equally sure very many people get a single entry visa with the full intention of exercising the option to extend it for 30 days.So what is the point of doing this if in order to get the Visa you produce an airline ticket which will be wasted (or you will lose a considerable part of the value of the ticket if you alter the dates or asked for a refund)if you want to stay for another 30 days which you can usually do after the first 60 days.

Has it been expressly stipulated that if you turned up with all the items you listed above except your out of Thailand ticket is 90 days instead of 60 days(because you want to stay for the extra 30 days extension) that you would then be denied a tourist Visa?:blink:

Edited by Asiantravel

I currently have 4 land crossing in a row from Poi Pet and a fly-in from SiamRrep to Suvarabhumi. I know that I cannot get another land crossing (probably anywhere). I had to purchase an exit ticket at same time as ticket to BKK or airline (Bangkok Air) would  not sell me ticket at all. Also made me show cash.

My question is, will Vientianne (have ticket already) issue a tourist visa to me with this many lands runs? What is current requirements for that? will they issue multi entry?

Is the Embassy open on Saturdays to apply for Visa?

If I leave country with a tourist visa (later if I get it) can I exit to Laos on a re-entry permit?

any other thoughts welcome

19 minutes ago, bassep said:

I currently have 4 land crossing in a row from Poi Pet and a fly-in from SiamRrep to Suvarabhumi. I know that I cannot get another land crossing (probably anywhere). I had to purchase an exit ticket at same time as ticket to BKK or airline (Bangkok Air) would  not sell me ticket at all. Also made me show cash.

My question is, will Vientianne (have ticket already) issue a tourist visa to me with this many lands runs? What is current requirements for that? will they issue multi entry?

Is the Embassy open on Saturdays to apply for Visa?

If I leave country with a tourist visa (later if I get it) can I exit to Laos on a re-entry permit?

any other thoughts welcome

You are limited to 2 land entries on Visa Exempts per year, but if traveling to Thailand frequently, or staying for long periods, a Tourist Visa is the best assurance of trouble-free entry.

Reports from others from Vientiane indicate they only count Tourist Visas from themselves and maybe Savanahket - so you should be fine.  Requirements are your passport and filling out a form.  I would bring a printout of a bank-account, just in case they begin asking for this before you arrive (as they just began doing in Savanahket, Laos).

Only residents of Laos can get a Multi-Entry Tourist Visa there.

The Consulate in Vientiane is closed on Saturday and Sunday.

If you have time left on your permitted stay, and wish to leave Thailand and return before your "admitted until" date, you can preserve that "admitted until" date with a re-entry permit.  Note that the clock keeps running while you are gone - the "admitted until" date is unchanged upon your return.

54 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

" An out of Thailand ticket after 60 days "

I don't know about anyone else but I find this aspect particularly confusing and even a bit illogical especially now because I'm sure one of the main reasons for offering free visas has been to try and lure more tourists to Thailand. I'm equally sure very many people get a single entry visa with the full intention of exercising the option to extend it for 30 days.So what is the point of doing this if in order to get the Visa you produce an airline ticket which will be wasted (or you will lose a considerable part of the value of the ticket if you alter the dates or asked for a refund)if you want to stay for another 30 days which you can usually do after the first 60 days.

Has it been expressly stipulated that if you turned up with all the items you listed above except your out of Thailand ticket is 90 days instead of 60 days(because you want to stay for the extra 30 days extension) that you would then be denied a tourist Visa?:blink:

The visa is for 60 days hence they ask for a ticket out within 60 days, yes they can be extended but this is not automatic although I have never heard of anyone being denied it is the individual Immigration Officers decision to grant you a extra 30 days, it is never guaranteed 100% 

5 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

The visa is for 60 days hence they ask for a ticket out within 60 days, yes they can be extended but this is not automatic although I have never heard of anyone being denied it is the individual Immigration Officers decision to grant you a extra 30 days, it is never guaranteed 100% 

I think a single entry Tourist Visa (TR) is valid for entry into Thailand for three months from the date of issue. Therefore, it should be quite possible to have an exit ticket dated up to five months from the date of issue of the visa. (Visa valid for entry for three months plus, if entry on last day of validity, a further 60 days actually in the Kingdom.) There is then also the possibility of a further 30 day extension of the permission of stay being obtained in Thailand.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PREM-R said:

I think a single entry Tourist Visa (TR) is valid for entry into Thailand for three months from the date of issue. Therefore, it should be quite possible to have an exit ticket dated up to five months from the date of issue of the visa. (Visa valid for entry for three months plus, if entry on last day of validity, a further 60 days actually in the Kingdom.) There is then also the possibility of a further 30 day extension of the permission of stay being obtained in Thailand.

The 5 months would be a fair point if you apply from your home country but Savvanakhet know you will be leaving Laos and entering Thailand within 1 or 2 days after receiving your SETV, if you were not planning to do this you could explain this to them

24 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

okay maybe the solution for Ho Chi Minh City is to give them 2 tickets out

1. A cheap bus ticket(because their website distinctly says they will accept bus tickets to leave Thailand)showing your exit after 60 days which is only to satisfy their requirement.

2. An airline ticket showing your actual exit from Thailand after 90 days.

2 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

okay maybe the solution for Ho Chi Minh City is to give them 2 tickets out

1. A cheap bus ticket(because their website distinctly says they will accept bus tickets to leave Thailand)showing your exit after 60 days which is only to satisfy their requirement.

2. An airline ticket showing your actual exit from Thailand after 90 days.

My question is how one can get a really cheap, dated ticket for an international bus leaving Thailand. Cheapest I have found is 450 baht (KST Travel Hat Yai to Penang). Options like Mukdahan to Savannakhet cannot be purchased in advance, even if you are at the Mukdahan bus station.

7 hours ago, JackThompson said:

You are limited to 2 land entries on Visa Exempts per year, but if traveling to Thailand frequently, or staying for long periods, a Tourist Visa is the best assurance of trouble-free entry.

Reports from others from Vientiane indicate they only count Tourist Visas from themselves and maybe Savanahket - so you should be fine.  Requirements are your passport and filling out a form.  I would bring a printout of a bank-account, just in case they begin asking for this before you arrive (as they just began doing in Savanahket, Laos).

Only residents of Laos can get a Multi-Entry Tourist Visa there.

The Consulate in Vientiane is closed on Saturday and Sunday.

If you have time left on your permitted stay, and wish to leave Thailand and return before your "admitted until" date, you can preserve that "admitted until" date with a re-entry permit.  Note that the clock keeps running while you are gone - the "admitted until" date is unchanged upon your return.

would a re-entry permit also allow a 30 extension to remain in place for a day trip to Laos?

4 hours ago, bassep said:

would a re-entry permit also allow a 30 extension to remain in place for a day trip to Laos?

Only if the re-entry permit was purchased after the extension. Thus, if you applied for the extension, and were granted it 35 days after arrival, you would now have 55 (60-35 + 30) days left. You could apply for a re-entry permit at the same time covering that entire period. If, however, the re-entry permit was purchased before the extension, it would only cover the original period of stay.

• Like 1

SETV visa application must have been less than 5 minutes. No torturous queues like I remember going in after 9am....no crack of dawn queuing needed it seems.

Easiest visa application in my life. No supporting paperwork requested.

1 setv from savana. and 1 visa-exempt in passport.

Cheers Thai consulate - the beers were on you with that 1000 baht waiver.

Edited by freedomnow

On 18/01/2017 at 8:18 PM, vesparally180 said:

Sir, I have two thai bank acounts, The first at Bangkok Bank with a 30 day torurist stamp in my passport an thai girlfriend who had account at same branch ( I think she may have been 'sponsor'). Second with Bangkok Bank - me applying on my own, had 60 day single entry visa and Letter of Residency (from thai immigration - 300 baht). But do not ask for bank account, ask for savings account to have money transferred into (from UK) and ATM card. Make sure they know you do not want credit. Hope this helps

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Get Real said:

I hope they ask for more funds. Missuse of tourist visa is far too common.

Could you explain what particular "misuse" of tourist visas will be avoided by asking for proof of more funds? Is it your position that only people who have documentation with them proving they are affluent can legally enter Thailand on tourist visas?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Could you explain what particular "misuse" of tourist visas will be avoided by asking for proof of more funds? Is it your position that only people who have documentation with them proving they are affluent can legally enter Thailand on tourist visas?

If you want to turn everything around, it´s ok by me. I do think that you know exactly what I mean, and just trying to start a discussion for your own amusement again.
I mean plainly that too many people use tourist visas back to back after eachother to be able to use them as a tool for long stay. IMO it would be nice to see that they start asking for more funds after the second tourist visa in 1 year is used. Then you solve half of the problem with many cases where people can enter the country on a to low budget, and after that work from here to survive without a work permit. That was just 1 example of what can be solved with stricter rules regarding too many applications for tourist visas when there are other to use for long stay. Off course people have to qualify for them, but that´s just a good thing.

The Thai gov are being very clear... We want you to come as a tourist and spend money here. Show us 1000 USD and we permit you to stay for 60 days to spend that money. After 60 days things start to set in and you will start spending with a budget like a local... we don't want that. 

I can't get a work permit - That's because you are not the kind of talent we are looking for.

I don't want to get marry or have any kids - Then what is your contribution in this country?

I have lotsa money and I want to stay in Thailand - We welcome you with open arms and please apply for a Thai elite visa.

I have no money nor talent and I also doesn't want to get marry nor have any kids in Thailand - You are exactly the problem why we keep strengthening the rules to keep you out and in between we had offended other categories visitors unnecessary.  

• Like 1