Opening bank acc trouble

Xaos

Try Bangkok Bank main branch on 2nd Road near Soi 6.  Very foreigner friendly.  

The thai gov't tightened the rules for foreign bank accounts a few years ago so it has gotten harder.  I think they also told the banks to start enforcing the rules that were already there.  I think a lot of the banks were getting too lax on that.

Edited by lapd

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Gary A said:

At the time I was living in the US with a BOA Visa card attached to my PayPal account. I was here on holiday and ordered something. I got a notice that my account was limited. It wouldn't allow me to sign in to contact them. Other attempts to straighten it out via email resulted in canned computer messages and instructions to log in. Catch 22, I couldn't log in. My account wasn't limited, it was totally frozen. To hell with PayPal. I decided that they have no people working there, only computers.

ADDED - I was using a US credit card and the shipping address was to my home in the US. Apparently since the order was placed here in Thailand, the computers got confused and I had no one who I could talk to.

Ah yes. I tried to order something from here in Thailand using my Paypal account to pay and I was informed that I couldn't as Thailand is not an approved destination for orders from my account.

The problem you had logging in from here is a relatively common one that can be solved by using a VPN or proxy server that makes you appear to be in the US  or wherever you need to appear to be.

At the time I was quite irritated and the person I ordered the item from also wasn't happy. It made me look like a deadbeat. I decided then that I was disappointed at the way PayPal gave me no way to correct the problem. I decided that I would never use their service again and I haven't.

On 1/18/2017 at 1:13 PM, KittenKong said:

The attempt to sell you insurance is just the bank staff trying to coerce you into earning them some commission. There is no requirement for this insurance whatsoever.

Unfortunately there isnt a great deal you can do about it other than go to another branch or another bank as complaining will probably just make them sullen and even more unhelpful. Does that remind you of children in kindergarten? Me too.

Most farangs find that the branches in locations heavily frequented by farangs are easiest to deal with. So perhaps try places like Central.

There is something you can do against it: Ask for printed information and a business card from the bank-employee. Send both to the Kasikorn headoffice in Bangkok. 

A few years ago this was a big issue and the Kasikorn HQ promised to take care of it. 

While the banks will admit that coercing insurance on people is probably not their standard procedure, that it is a problem and they'll look into it, you might even manage to get their HQ on the phone while you're at the branch and make them give you a 'normal' ATM card... 

On the other side of the coin in that the 'Corporate' side of the bank sets a target/quota for a branch to meet, I've known girls who just started working in banks and are still on their probation period that were let go because they haven't managed to sell enough insurance. 

23 hours ago, digbeth said:

Another 'scam' is that the cheapest ATM card is out of stock, and only expensive debit card with insurance is the only option

So Thailand.  A few years back I paid for a VIP  first class seat on a bus to Phuket from Pattaya.  Day of travel checked out of my hotel walk to the travel office for the pick up.  Bus came in and lo and behold no VIP first class seats!  Honest mistake?  nah.  Travel agent mistake?  Bus company reservation mixup?  I demanded my money back as I wasn't taking a regular seat for that 14 hour trip.  Have heard so many similar stories about some boat trips.  Hearing many such stories here about the banks.

I've said it before but I will repeat it. Visit the english version of Kasikorn website. It clearly states that you can open a savings account without any insurance connected to it. All you need is to bring your passport with a valid visa and a rental contract with your address.
If the staff does not agree , call Kasikorn support in Bangkok, explain to them the situation and hand over the phone to the manager in the bank . I can promise you that they will suddenly change their mind and you will get your account and only requirement is to deposit 500 baht.

This method has worked for me twice and a friend did the same. The staff are lazy and they want a commision.

23 hours ago, Gary A said:

... Visa card attached to my PayPal account. I was here on holiday and ordered something. I got a notice that my account was limited. It wouldn't allow me to sign in to contact them. 

I hope you didn't click on the link in email that appeared to be from Paypal, there is massive amount of phishing emails disguised as legitimately Paypal, very often with a subject line 'Your Paypal Account Is Limited', and variations of that. I get emails like this about once every week, all phishing. Since you said you Paypal didn't allow you to log in it is very likely you were not on Paypal page, but a web page that looks identical to Paypal, look at the address carefully, the purpose is to direct your log in details to 3rd party. 

Girls? Or just one.

Thats standard thing. They have to sell it and are pressured to do so. My gf used to work in banks she knows. Sometimes she goes and buy insurance from friend just to help them out not cuz she needs it. At one point she must had it like 8

12 hours ago, whitemouse said:

I hope you didn't click on the link in email that appeared to be from Paypal, there is massive amount of phishing emails disguised as legitimately Paypal, very often with a subject line 'Your Paypal Account Is Limited', and variations of that. I get emails like this about once every week, all phishing. Since you said you Paypal didn't allow you to log in it is very likely you were not on Paypal page, but a web page that looks identical to Paypal, look at the address carefully, the purpose is to direct your log in details to 3rd party. 

Actually I received no notice from PayPal but did receive a nasty email from the seller. I got the notice when I tried to log in to my account to see what was going on.

Yes some years ago opening a bank account was easy. I got a Kasikorn account in 2009. However, it has definitely changed. I have been turned down 4 times in the last few months, even though i have a 12 month visa extension! All the banks now seem to want a work permit, what about if you are retired? You don't have one. I have produced my wife, marriage certificate, passport, driving licence and still no joy. They just keep asking for more until they ask for a document you do not have. Utterly stupid.

How long before a new comer wants to get an extension but cannot because he cannot get a bank account? Looks like it is going that way. Next time i am in town i will have to do a tour of all the banks in central.

On 1/20/2017 at 0:52 AM, LammyTS1 said:

I opened Bangkok bank acc at central 2 months ago with a tourist visa. 

Kasikorn next door won't give you one without a work permit, unless you pay them 12,600 for insurance!

What else did you need to show?  Is all I need a METV and my passport, along with a minimum nominal deposit.

TMB were right to a certain extent in what they said. I have been with TMB for about 16 years and in 2014 they sent me an email that my visa details were inconsistent with the new requirements for online banking and I was given a couple of months to go to the branch with my passport or I would lose access to online banking.

I live in Chonburi and had to go to the branch that held the account in Pattaya and saw the manager there. She told me that she had recently been to a seminar on the new regulations and it was now a requirement for online banking that foreigners have a work permit or a long term visa. I had just been to the UK so my multi Non O was quite recent so no problem. She said the new regulations were to do with online banking and did not apply to normal accounts but it leaves the door open to banks on how they would be interpreted in respect of new accounts, particularly if online banking was an available facility.

visa email_Page_1.jpg

Went Kasikorn on Thepprasit, they open acc on my non O. Need birth cert of my daughter and deposit 10k. No need buy insurance.

They want my brother on his tourist visa buy 10k insurance. Not sure its worth it as he live in UK perm. Comes 2 months hols.

He will try central f. Banks

They said Kbank cards works online.

TMB were right to a certain extent in what they said. I have been with TMB for about 16 years and in 2014 they sent me an email that my visa details were inconsistent with the new requirements for online banking and I was given a couple of months to go to the branch with my passport or I would lose access to online banking.
I live in Chonburi and had to go to the branch that held the account in Pattaya and saw the manager there. She told me that she had recently been to a seminar on the new regulations and it was now a requirement for online banking that foreigners have a work permit or a long term visa. I had just been to the UK so my multi Non O was quite recent so no problem. She said the new regulations were to do with online banking and did not apply to normal accounts but it leaves the door open to banks on how they would be interpreted in respect of new accounts, particularly if online banking was an available facility.

588563bc9e5d3_visaemail_Page_1.thumb.jpg.641ba366bd1878c70416d671f490506f.jpg

I got Non O multi and it was no good for TMB they wanted WP or 1 year extension.

On 1/19/2017 at 4:01 PM, balo said:

I've said it before but I will repeat it. Visit the english version of Kasikorn website. It clearly states that you can open a savings account without any insurance connected to it. All you need is to bring your passport with a valid visa and a rental contract with your address.
If the staff does not agree , call Kasikorn support in Bangkok, explain to them the situation and hand over the phone to the manager in the bank . I can promise you that they will suddenly change their mind and you will get your account and only requirement is to deposit 500 baht.

This method has worked for me twice and a friend did the same. The staff are lazy and they want a commision.

This post helped me recover an insurance premium paid with Kasikorn. Not just me, I suspect, as the guy sat at the next desk to me was also claiming back his insurance. I owe you a pint Balo. Make sure to remind me next time you see me. ?

Perhaps worth mentioning that if you have had an account for a long time ensure you dont get closed accidentally which can happen with low balance and they try to take their annual ATM Card fee and not enough in there

On 1/24/2017 at 4:17 PM, Xaos said:

I got Non O multi and it was no good for TMB they wanted WP or 1 year extension.

OK, based on your post (below), what branch of TMB refused you (above)?

17 hours ago, Xaos said:

TMB on Theppraya rd will open acc on my visa.

On 1/19/2017 at 4:01 PM, balo said:

What branch balo?