Opening bank acc trouble

Xaos

Hi, I want open bank acc, I got one in Krung Thai, but its not so good for online shooping paypal and such... So got idea getting one more, heres thing...

I got Non O multi entry visa.

Went to couple banks see what they says, 

Kasikorn (next to tuk com) they open bank acc, but if no work permit they wanted me to buy some insurance for 7400 a year lol.

TMB (jomtien b. rd.) They were looking in to passport and said I need 1 year visa, I told them it is 1 year visa, but they pointed on extensions of stay stamps and said this stamp must be 1 year, and mine is 3 months, were they right? 

Thats ridiculous that on Non O visa you cant open bank acc.

My brother is looking to open bank acc he is on tourist visa, so i guess no chance at all?

SCB, was fine with me they said they need only Immigration prove of adress thing thats was it.

Any ideas wheres good bank in Pattaya for open acc. ?

Cheers

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just keep trying different bank branches until you find one that will open an account for you, they all have differing ideas as to who is entitled and what documents you need to provide.

Kasikorn ( Thai Farmers ) seems to be easy going at most branches 

I opened an account years ago at the one next to Tukcom with just a tourist visa  also one at the Krungsri Ayutaya further along the road.

Edited by johng

The attempt to sell you insurance is just the bank staff trying to coerce you into earning them some commission. There is no requirement for this insurance whatsoever.

Unfortunately there isnt a great deal you can do about it other than go to another branch or another bank as complaining will probably just make them sullen and even more unhelpful. Does that remind you of children in kindergarten? Me too.

Most farangs find that the branches in locations heavily frequented by farangs are easiest to deal with. So perhaps try places like Central.

I have a krung thai visa debit card, works on line perfectly, both in baht and dollars. Expensive though, 600 baht. They told me that was the cheapest that would work. I think they call it "Pearl". What card do you have? Also KTB on line banking works just fine, too. I'm quite happy with them. SCB insisted I would need a credit card to use on line so that's a nonstarter.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

The attempt to sell you insurance is just the bank staff trying to coerce you into earning them some commission. There is no requirement for this insurance whatsoever.

Unfortunately there isnt a great deal you can do about it other than go to another branch or another bank as complaining will probably just make them sullen and even more unhelpful. Does that remind you of children in kindergarten? Me too.

Most farangs find that the branches in locations heavily frequented by farangs are easiest to deal with. So perhaps try places like Central.

Another example, many bank staff will tell you, when opening a new account, that it's now compulsory to have an ATM card (another item for which bank staff get a commission.

Totally not true,  just insist that you don't want an ATM card and ensure the bank officer has not ticked 'YES' for an ATM card on the application form. 

Edited by scorecard

I was able to open a bank account with just a 30 day visa exemption. It all depends on the branch and on the manager in that branch. With my account came the inevitable Passbook and a Visa debit card that works everywhere in the world that I have tried to use it and I don't recall having paid anything extraordinary in the way of fees for the privilege - a hundred or two maybe but absolutely NOT 1000s of Baht!

I'm with Bangkok Bank BTW. 

Edited by paulbj2

I am very surprised at this, there has been a few good reports on Thaivisa about banks in Pattaya, but at the end of the day all the banks make up their own rules TiT. You have to try diferent banks, and I'm sure you will get one. Good luck.

2 hours ago, RayD said:

I have a krung thai visa debit card, works on line perfectly, both in baht and dollars. Expensive though, 600 baht. They told me that was the cheapest that would work. I think they call it "Pearl". What card do you have? Also KTB on line banking works just fine, too. I'm quite happy with them. SCB insisted I would need a credit card to use on line so that's a nonstarter.

600Bt?? You were stung, My Bangkok bank only charge 300Bt.

27 minutes ago, colinchaffers said:

I just closed my Bangkok bank account yesterday because my visa debit card was eaten by a ATM and they would only offer a unionpay card.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

They also wanted to give me a Rabbit union card, but I stuck to my guns and demanded a Visa card, after a bit of humming and hawing, I was given one. In Thailand, in my experience, you should always stand your ground, but you must be 100% right, but never get angry with them.

The first one I had was 300. An ATM ate it. When I went to replace it it was 600, take it or leave it. What can you do?

Top tip, only use ATM cards in the ATM. Those are only 100 to replace. ATMs seem to eat cards quite regularly here.

I got Krung thai thier top card its platinium or something, comes with Bupa insurance but that was orite i agreed as i had no insurance at all here and it was like 1000 per year.

Well its good card and acc.

The reason is i need new one is i messed up paypal and they blocked my card and cant be used again but they will take new one. Thats main reson really. And yeh they gave me no explanation.

Thai banks want 1 year extension stamp and wp most i went.

I got multi non o and not good enough for tmb at all

Xaos

Both my accounts were obtained with a multi O and an immigration address certificate no problem at all. The AC is only required if you don't have a work permit to certify your address. Opening an account without a WP or AC is at the discretion of the bank, but with one they will just go ahead and do it.

If Paypal have blocked your debit card, just get a new one from KTB and it will have a different number. If they're blocking you by name then a new account won't help.

I'm wary of SCB after they insisted I need a credit (not debit) card to go on line. It's probably not true but I don't trust them now.

Some debit cards from Thai banks don't work online/overseas

with Kasikorn account you can get a K-Web shopping card to use online which gives you a separate valid credit card number that you an use on sites that don't even accept debit cards, without the need to apply for an actual credit card, you get more safety with facilities to dispute charge like a real credit card which is another layer of protection compared to using a 'bare' debit card

With Bangkok Bank you have to 'activate' the debit card to use it online via the ATM or phoning the call centre I think

Krungsri debit cards just plain don't work online

BKK bank beach road around 13/1 set back a little bit about 2 mins walk twds walking st from McDonaldsm you will need a cert of residence. Guy works there called Bell good guy will sort it for you. Remember if you go with BKK don't take the union pay card insist on visa

Your brother can do the same all that is required is cert of residence.

Get your walking shoes on mate and you will get more than you need by the end of the day,especially in Patts.Don't fall for that insurance crap.I am a vindictive bastard,so after i got knocked back from 2 SC bank branches in my local town,i finally got one in the provincial capital,very helpful with online stuff up.Now i withdraw 1000baht from the atm and put it back inside at the local bank.You may ask why i do this and i say because i can.

3 hours ago, RayD said:

Xaos

Both my accounts were obtained with a multi O and an immigration address certificate no problem at all. The AC is only required if you don't have a work permit to certify your address. Opening an account without a WP or AC is at the discretion of the bank, but with one they will just go ahead and do it.

If Paypal have blocked your debit card, just get a new one from KTB and it will have a different number. If they're blocking you by name then a new account won't help.

I'm wary of SCB after they insisted I need a credit (not debit) card to go on line. It's probably not true but I don't trust them now.

What do you have to do to get blocked by PayPal for Christ's sake?

If you use a Visa agent, go ask them if they can suggest somewhere or even if they can introduce you to a bank. I was introduced to a bank by a guy who takes loads of Farangs there and I was treated more or less like royalty. In Thailand, who you know matters much more than what you know. If you get yourself "presented" to the bank by an existing account holder of good standing, you may find the whole process much easier.

5 hours ago, colinchaffers said:

I just closed my Bangkok bank account yesterday because my visa debit card was eaten by a ATM and they would only offer a unionpay card.

Same for me. Union Pay& Bangkok Bank are useless - see my original posts.http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/959827-bangkok-bank-debit-cards-update/Also Kasikorn is good, no problems and no insurance required.

50 minutes ago, paulbj2 said:

What do you have to do to get blocked by PayPal for Christ's sake?

At the time I was living in the US with a BOA Visa card attached to my PayPal account. I was here on holiday and ordered something. I got a notice that my account was limited. It wouldn't allow me to sign in to contact them. Other attempts to straighten it out via email resulted in canned computer messages and instructions to log in. Catch 22, I couldn't log in. My account wasn't limited, it was totally frozen. To hell with PayPal. I decided that they have no people working there, only computers.

ADDED - I was using a US credit card and the shipping address was to my home in the US. Apparently since the order was placed here in Thailand, the computers got confused and I had no one who I could talk to.

Edited by Gary A