Thais impressed as legless farang burger seller wows internet

webfact

Thais impressed as legless farang burger seller wows internet

1p1.jpg

Picture:: 77JOWO

BANGKOK: -- A story of a western man selling burgers on a Bangkok street to raise money for his family is wowing the online community.

The man was featured on Facebook with his cart called "No Name Burgers" set up in the Sammakorn area of Nimit Mai Road.

The westerner named Gary Payne, a former boxer from London apparently has a young child. He was formerly an airline pilot. But after going running when he was not well he fainted and fell onto railway tracked.

A train severed both his legs.

But the man has not let this setback keep him down. He prepares burgers, chicken kebabs and wings for sale at his street stall.

1p2.jpg

Picture:: 77JOWO

A poster who identified herself as "Botan" asked everyone to come and support him. She said the stall was open every day except Thursday from 2.30 to 6.30 pm.

Some days when the man has pain in his legs they may be closed but this would be announced online, said Botan.

Many Thais who read the story were impressed with the man's fighting spirit and said they would go and order something from the stall to show their support.

Source: NEWS 77JOWO

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-18

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The westerner named Gary Payne, a former boxer from London apparently has a young child. He was formerly an airline pilot. But after going running when he was not well he fainted and fell onto railway tracked."

My BS detector is dinging. Anyway whatever good luck to him.

I am sure he is a great guy and well done to him, but regardless of his disability , if he is allowed to do this openly, then why can't others?

It is a similar story with the other guy a while back who has become a local celeb openly making and selling Phad Thai somewhere in Thailand.

Why do we constantly hear about we cant do this , cant do that or the authorities will on you like a ton of bricks, and yet we see stories like this every so often, without explanation of how they do it regarding the visa requirements etc etc??

Do they have the required visas, WPs etc ?  Not berating them or anythng and good luck to them, but would just like to know,  because maybe I could start up a Welsh Cakes stand or sell Leek soup or something????:smile:

Edited by daiwill60

2 minutes ago, daiwill60 said:

I am sure he is a great guy and well done to him, but regardless of his disability , if he is allowed to do this openly, then why can't others?

It is a similar story with the other guy a while back who has become a local celeb openly making and selling Phad Thai somewhere in Thailand.

Why do we constantly hear about we cant do this , cant do that or the authorities will on you like a ton of bricks, and yet we see stories like this every so often, without explanation of how they do it regarding the visa requirements etc etc??

Do they have the required visas, WPs etc ?  Not berating them or anythng and good luck to them, but would just like to know,  because maybe I could start up a Welsh Cakes stand or sell Leek soup or something????:smile:

Guess the fact he has a kid and is disabled makes the difference.

I wished there were more farang streetfood vendors, or ones with their own snackbars/restaurants.  Not because they are farang but because i expect a certain standard from them, most streetvendors live in the slumps without any hygiene, i won't buy food from them.

I know of farang who do business with their thai wives, she sells and he stands next to her all day long doing nothing. Well that's what Thailand allows/wants so that's what they get. 

Also i know of Thai having restaurants in the West and working there on illegal papers. I don't care but it's unfair for the ones who do have legal papers.

There's also a farang who sells plastic crap from out of his motocy here in BKK.

Thailand has so many westerners here it could become the hub of western streetfood cooked by westerners. The Thai streetfoodvendors won't like it though but i won't buy from them since it's always filthy around their shops and they can't speak english or won't show a retailprice.

we have seen this situation before , best of luck to him, and some of us are not out to bring him down it will be a jealous thai that does the reporting, and  publicity brings the spotlight on someone. not say this is the case for one moment, some thai street stalls are just so disgusting, you see chicken hanging out in the sun at  23 c, behind glass. so being magnified, just waiting for a dose of food poisoning.

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

"The westerner named Gary Payne, a former boxer from London apparently has a young child. He was formerly an airline pilot. But after going running when he was not well he fainted and fell onto railway tracked."

Why repeat what is already written? Obviously you have cmprehension problems, most of us dont. "My BS detector is dinging. Anyway whatever good luck to him."  Forsure, more than meets the eye here.

What's the big deal about foreigners opening businesses and such in Thailand?
Do they not come out our respective countries and start up communities filled with their restaurants and such?

About the only reason anybody should be batting a eye to this is if it were some cooking show that wanted to compare the "Best Hamburger" in such and such a place.
Things have been done similar in Los Angeles, with TV program scouts checking out the "Best" Thai restaurant in Thai-town.

Sorry, not trying to be condescending.

Good on him, although I do not really see the "news" aspect in this case!

Guy has a streak of bad luck, but goes on, making the best of his life!

Nice, but hardly sensational and "impressive"!

What are Thais used to, is what I ask myself, if they fond this kind of behavior so superduper great?

Quote from his facebook page:

I beg you all to please stop sharing my story. I am starting to get verbally attacked and many people talking so bad. I mean farang on some sites. Who ever started this whole thing tried to help but sadly I am so upset now. I just wanted to sell a few burgers and make people happy. Now I am like a prisoner. It's all too much.

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

I wished there were more farang streetfood vendors, or ones with their own snackbars/restaurants.  Not because they are farang but because i expect a certain standard from them, most streetvendors live in the slumps without any hygiene, i won't buy food from them.

I know of farang who do business with their thai wives, she sells and he stands next to her all day long doing nothing. Well that's what Thailand allows/wants so that's what they get. 

Also i know of Thai having restaurants in the West and working there on illegal papers. I don't care but it's unfair for the ones who do have legal papers.

There's also a farang who sells plastic crap from out of his motocy here in BKK.

Thailand has so many westerners here it could become the hub of western streetfood cooked by westerners. The Thai streetfoodvendors won't like it though but i won't buy from them since it's always filthy around their shops and they can't speak english or won't show a retailprice.

Much problem at the same time with Thai street vendors. They are appearantly filthy, their shops are filthy, they have no hygiene, no speak english and can´t show you a price. Wow!
Short explaination:

1 No hygiene: The hygiene is appearantly up to standard for Thai people to accept. You come or stay here. Just accept it and stop complaining.

2 Flilthy around them: They clean as good as they can with the small place for things they have. Eat a lot and never been sick or ill.

3 No speak english: You choose to come to Thailand. It´s up to you to learn to understand

4 No retail price: Just a learning curve. Most Thais know how much a noodle is or a certain type of barbecue stick. As you are not interested in the food out of other reasons, the price just doesn´t matter to you.

Sad we still treat people with disabilities as "unusual". Guy with no legs sells burgers...so what. With modern prosthetics it's almost a non-issue. Look at the blade runner. I certainly don't give that murderer any pity and he never wanted any until he hobbled across the courtroom on his stumps but that was for obvious reasons. I know if I was disabled I would not want special treatment or pity.   D. H. Lawrence Quote "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself."  Not to say this man feels sorry for himself but nor shall I. I will respect him as a man, and treat him the same as any other man, legless or not. The best way to honor his spirit is to ignore his condition.

3 hours ago, daiwill60 said:

One of the prime requirements for a foreigner to work in Thailand is that he is not taking work that a Thai can do. Since Thais cannot make decent hamburgers, he's OK. :cheesy:

Studio_20170118_162221.png

Studio_20170118_162304.png

'I am starting to get verbally attacked and many people talking so bad. I mean farang on some sites'.... hope that doesn't include Thaivisa.com. Apologies No Name Burger if that includes some fellow members from this site. Some people were never taught that if they have nothing good to say, better to say nothing at all.

Edited by Boycie

3 hours ago, fruitman said:

do yo live in Thailand?? if so why?!?!?!?!?

4 hours ago, smutcakes said:

http://www.spaldingtoday.co.uk/news/train-accident-survivor-beats-all-odds-1-584953

How is that BS detector working now?