Farang rides mountain bike on temple. People get annoyed

webfact

Farang rides mountain bike on temple. People get annoyed

By  Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

CHIANG MAI — Visitors to a temple in the north of Thailand were offended Tuesday by a farang doing mountain bike tricks there.

In footage filmed of the incident at about 3:30pm, a male foreigner rides a mountain bike off a low wall on the grounds of Wat Jedyod, while another films him doing bike stunts.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2017/01/18/farang-rides-mountain-bike-temple-people-get-annoyed/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-01-18

Just ignorance. Probably if a nice Thai person just could say "Here's the problem and why not respect our culture?"  The rider would be very apologetic. 

And yeah I used to be a kid riding skateboards (gnash gnarl grind very destructive even to reinforced concrete) and riding rudely on MTB trails shared by hikers. I grew up

Edited by Dipterocarp

Just like a pedestrian he should be held accountable for any damage caused to temple grounds...

as as to the bike riding if he doesn't touch any artifact and stays on concrete or path, is it any different than a walker...

judge it it on damaged caused not b/c he is on a bike...what about wheelchair people?

yes, not being sensitive to venue as that is why he is there riding....should have asked permission which he would not have gotten...

doubt proper policy is in place...

I see hardly anything serious to offend anyone.He was promoting Thai tourism that might bring millions of bucks to Thailand and that Wat?

What about the monk who used a woman offering him food to give him a BJ which was caught on Cam last year???????

50 minutes ago, tagalong said:

What a load of rubbish....Rubber tires on a push bike is no worse then rubber shoes....You idiots believe the earth is still flat...

How about if a foreign tourist did the same in West Minster Abbey, would that be OK, rubber tyres and all!

Can't really see the problem. Some guy on his own enjoying himself, not doing any damage. Temples have always been used for all sorts of activities, Kung <deleted> for example. Girls dancing in bikinis on stages to loud music OK too. A Thai monk going around the temple on his bike wouldn't have been commented on. 

4 hours ago, Pib said:

Just no understanding or respect for the culture & primary religion of a nation.   Stupid is as stupid does.

Where are the police to stop him from doing this...Give a fine and march him to the airport and send him home to learn some manners from his Mommy!!!

3 hours ago, mercman24 said:

Talking of respect, didn't last long did it, on my daily BTS ride, and downtown i have made a habit of looking for locals showing respect badges for the late King, got to say i do not see many.

its been 3 months.... how long do you expect a person to mourn?

1 hour ago, tagalong said:

What a load of rubbish....Rubber tires on a push bike is no worse then rubber shoes....You idiots believe the earth is still flat...

it has nothing to do with rubber tires or rubber shoes 

I have no clue what faith or religion you have if any... but its about showing respect

riding a bike through temple grounds is like riding a bike through a church, common sense you just don't do it out of respect for other people's beliefs!

and if you still dont get it... how would you feel if someone pissed on the side of your house?

12 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

They were perhaps only annoyed as most Thais are actually too lazy to ride a bike in the first place

I don't know which part of Thailand you live in, if indeed you do live here, but here in the North there's substantial numbers of Thai's riding bikes, every day, everywhere.