Thai born Child and Non Thai Parent

Hi.

I have a question if anybody could help me that would be great. The scenario is I am a British father of a Thai born child. The childs mom is Thai and child was born in Thailand. Due to personal circumstances i am going to be the sole custody holder of the child who is 3 months old. My question is specifically visa related, not the legal aspect of parental rights and is this. As I am the sole, non Thai parent would i be entitled to any type of Visa based on the my son being a Thai as the sole custodian. If you need any further information from me to answer please feel free to ask. My basic circumstances are 37 year old Male, currently here on METV, British passport holder, not working in Thailand and no requirement to and also no relationship with mom of child who once again is Thai.

The short answer is yes.

As the parent of a Thai you qualify for a Non-Immigrant 'O' visa that gives permission to stay for 90 days per entry. Within the last 30 days (maybe 45) you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay on the basis of being the legal parent. You'd need to show an income of at least 40K pm or 400K in the bank. This can be renewed each year.

As a parent you also qualify for a 60 day extension of stay which you can have one time for each entry of any visa type entry, even your METV.

Edited by elviajero

If you were not married to your child's mother you will need to legitimize your parenthood. You would also need to be granted custody of your child by the mother and do documents at an Amphoe to prove it.

Info on the legitimization process is here. It would be done at a family court since you child is under the age of 7.

Until you get the legitimization done you will only be able to get non-o visas and 60 day extension. After it is done you would be able to get a one year extension at immigration based upon being the parent of a Thai.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Until you get the legitimization done you will only be able to get non-o visas and 60 day extension. After it is done you would be able to get a one year extension at immigration based upon being the parent of a Thai.

What about Penang?  Can he still get a ME non-O there?

Edited by 4evermaat