Foreign freak CCTV in restaurant

Dipterocarp

As I was departing a popular gastropub type place today. Saw a small black plastic cube with an LED light on it sitting on a shelf between some knick knacks.

I absently middle picked it up what is this a speaker, no it's has a camera lens! I  put it down and this guy rushes from way across the room who is at a table by himself apparently,  

saying "Hey thats mine" ( UK type accent, not sure). I just said sorry it just caught my eye.  Then I left realizing this goon is  underhandedly setting up a camera filming the place.

I looked it up it is something like a go pro Hero / Polaroid Cube/same same but different.  By the way in my country (US) you have no expectation of privacy in a public place

and people can  record anything they want. On private property the owner/management could ban filming or ask you to leave. Just seems a strange thing to do.

7 hours ago, Dipterocarp said:

I don't know but he looked like a tourist. The place is Thai run and has their own CCTV system

Wasn't thinking, like a child picking up a toy.

If I was a soldier in a  war zone I would probably be at risk of being killed by an IED.

You wanted to nick it that's why and that's why they have cameras watching you slurp your lunch. Naughty boy

1 minute ago, champers said:

Woolworths? Nick and mix.

Lol used to pull that one on gullible types in woollies, grab a sweet tell em its a taster watch em swarm and yet in big c just this week I thought the cut up pie on tray next to packaged pies was a tester and gobbled one much to the Mrs's shock.

It's possible the guy is doing his own PI work for whatever reason.....

You exposed his hidden location -exposing it openly to others.....You also possibly moved the focal area away from where he'd set it...Either way - or for countless other reasons - he felt exposed/paranoid.....

You walked into the middle of something....Maybe a good place to avoid for awhile....

On 1/18/2017 at 8:09 PM, Merylhighground said:

How do you know he isn't the owner/management or there by leave of the owner/management?

What I find stranger is someone who would pick up an object belonging to someone else with no reason.

So you don't mind people spying on you.