The beginning of the end for this area and beach

Lumbini

After they closed down the nightmare situation at Bali Hai pier in Pattaya a few months ago I have watched the madness come to this beautiful section of Jomtien beach to a certain extent and to read this is quite sad .

"Following the demolition of the Bali Hai Pier boat ramp, the Soi 11 launch area has become the primary location for speedboats to enter and leave the sea."

From a beautiful beach spot to a toxic and busy marina [emoji20] what a shame but everything changes so enjoy what we still have for now but it's much different than it was a few months ago much different .

The beginning of the end for this area and beach [emoji20][emoji20][emoji20][emoji20][emoji20]

[emoji652]️

http://www.pattayamail.com/news/expansion-eyed-jomtien-boat-ramp-161159

I also liked this post
"It's the parking of Boats, Trailers & Tow Vehicles on Beach Road that is the problem. Make the vehicles park Off Site in Vacant Lots and regulate their street parking to short term In/Out procedures. Yes, a few Policemen will be needed to supervise the parking. Collect the Administrative Costs from Launching Fees. The Pattaya Municipal Govt must accept responsibility for closing the Bali Hai Pier Boat Launch Ramp. They need to Step up to the Plate and get with an organized Boat Launch situation."

If you own property around this area you should possibly make this issue a very real priority or the events to come could really diminish property values in this area that at one time seemed to be kind of a sanctuary from the clutter that was overtaking Pattaya and other areas of Jomtien

...And because of not allowing boats to dock at Bali Hai area (which needed renovation and to be organized) Pattaya Bay has become a floating "parking lot" for boats to be anchored freely in this area. Great obstacle course for the banana boats and jet-skiers.

21 hours ago, toenail said:

...And because of not allowing boats to dock at Bali Hai area (which needed renovation and to be organized) Pattaya Bay has become a floating "parking lot" for boats to be anchored freely in this area. Great obstacle course for the banana boats and jet-skiers.

Yes, thinking the same as I rode down Beach Rd at about 6.30pm recently.

That's exactly

22 hours ago, ronjomtien said:

I agree. They haved moved their problem to Jomtien and ruined it with tractors all over the place, logjams with traffic all day around the ramp cutting Jomtien in half. Why doesn't the Jomtien officials do something. More Thainess.

That's exactly what I said in the first place, months ago.

They have simply moved the problem elsewhere.

22 hours ago, ronjomtien said:

I agree. They haved moved their problem to Jomtien and ruined it with tractors all over the place, logjams with traffic all day around the ramp cutting Jomtien in half. Why doesn't the Jomtien officials do something. More Thainess.

It is not only jomtien. At nighttime the boats that do not go to jomtien are now parking their crafts near the shores . The scenic nights looking at the sea are gone for all the tourists on beach road. Now all you can see are boats and jet skis parked there. What a shame as it was pretty sight to see while walking down beach road. 

Has anyone in Thailand been known to be think about anything past their nose? They can never think things through more than one step. Like a puppy when you throw a ball into traffic, all it knows is to chase the ball and not think of anything else.

I learned this when I tried my hand at teaching 15 years ago. I was teaching the students critical thinking skills and twice I got pulled into the supervisor's office and got in trouble for it.

The sup. said "You say something, they say it back. You read from a book, they read it back. You write it on the board, they say it back. That's it."

We called it parrot education because all they wanted was students to be able to mimic us, nothing more. No thinking allowed. This is how they live their lives. It's how they drive, walk around in public without regard to anyone around them, fail to queue in line, etc. Impulsive, short sighted, and instant gratification.

Like puppies.

The Bali Hai pier area was built for boats right?

It occurs to me that with proper organization, rules/regulations, control, & enforcement by the city authorities there was no need to move the boats.

And charging the boat owners a daily use fee would provide monies for maintenance of the facilities.

So what was the real reason?

7 hours ago, geisha said:

Jomtien has turned into a dump. It wasn't great before, but now ....

I go by the boat area numerous times a day. Yes, it's just another dumb thing they did, with accidents waiting to happen where traffic laws don't apply to trucks with big boats attached. And of course "T.I.T." which translates to "Everything in Thailand is half ass, get used to it or go crazy. We do things half ass here, when we do anything at all, and don't expect us to think anything through. We don't consider ramifications of any of our actions AT ALL."

They spent all this money on new sidewalks and trees for the Jomtien beach front, which you would think would be really nice to walk up and down along the beach. But they put the tree cut out sections in the middle of the sidewalk, which impedes walking, and the Thais just use the rest of the area to set up their straw mats and sit around for a picnic instead of actually sitting on the beach, making the new sidewalk one long obstacle course.

Police have been enforcing the ban on vendors blocking traffic, they should just make people sit on the beach instead of the sidewalk. There is plenty of open space between the lounge chair mafia people.

I know, I know, this is Thailand. Half ass is the way they do things.

9 hours ago, Global Guy said:

Has anyone in Thailand been known to be think about anything past their nose? They can never think things through more than one step. Like a puppy when you throw a ball into traffic, all it knows is to chase the ball and not think of anything else.

I learned this when I tried my hand at teaching 15 years ago. I was teaching the students critical thinking skills and twice I got pulled into the supervisor's office and got in trouble for it.

The sup. said "You say something, they say it back. You read from a book, they read it back. You write it on the board, they say it back. That's it."

We called it parrot education because all they wanted was students to be able to mimic us, nothing more. No thinking allowed. This is how they live their lives. It's how they drive, walk around in public without regard to anyone around them, fail to queue in line, etc. Impulsive, short sighted, and instant gratification.

Like puppies.

Absolutely spot on description!

After working numerous times in management positions of Thai companies, I eventually realized it was a futile task trying to get people to think.

It's all about knee jerk reactions, off the cuff ideas, big face, and doing exactly as the (Thai) person in the highest position says (without question, even when most believe it's wrong).

Reading local and national news highlights this further, hardly a day passes without another initiative, crackdown, plan, or goal being unveiled by one PM, councilor, deputy, police or army spokesman or other, and not one of them are followed up on or even carried out with any degree of success.

If any thought was given, the first thing that would become a realization is that there is huge room for improvement and that lessons can be learnt from others, things could be done better (and possibly that others know more), but hey, that would mean that they're not perfect (and lose face), so won't happen.

Anyhow, back on topic, these knee jerk reactions won't end in Pattaya until it's completely ruined, which shouldn't take too many more years judging by the last decade of, "improvements" that have been made.

Edited by Woody1

Well, I see a lot of very justifable complaint about the current negative situation.  But what about some positive action suggestions to at least attempt to get the mayhem moved much further out from this close in area (soi 11)?  

I live in CM BTW, and it's not perfect up here either with traffic, bad air etc.  I occasionally do like to get down to Jomtien, (especially in March when CM air is bad & April when CM is hot without a seabreeze).

"positive action suggestions" from us farang,s...the mere thought of anyone in authority over here even contemplating putting one of OUR suggestions into place would be laughed at............what do we know that could possibly improve Thailand..........its perfect already  according to its rulers and no need for outsiders to meddle  :whistling:

18 hours ago, Global Guy said:

They spent all this money on new sidewalks and trees for the Jomtien beach front, which you would think would be really nice to walk up and down along the beach. But they put the tree cut out sections in the middle of the sidewalk, which impedes walking, and the Thais just use the rest of the area to set up their straw mats and sit around for a picnic instead of actually sitting on the beach, making the new sidewalk one long obstacle course.

I walked from Na Jomtien to Jomtien and those palm trees take up 1/2 the sidewalk. Also they look the same as the older palms on the sand, that are coconut palms !

So they have also installed a hazard to that long walk     

With the speedboat activity there is also more pickup trucks along that beach now. Jomtien is not a dump yet , but its getting ugly. 

By the way Global Guy : To compare apples to apples have you ever seen such a - seaside resort messed up - in other South East Asian or Central American countries ??  

Edited by morrobay

1 hour ago, morrobay said:

I walked from Na Jomtien to Jomtien and those palm trees take up 1/2 the sidewalk. Also they look the same as the older palms on the sand, that are coconut palms !

So they have also installed a hazard to that long walk     

With the speedboat activity there is also more pickup trucks along that beach now. Jomtien is not a dump yet , but its getting ugly. 

By the way Global Guy : To compare apples to apples have you ever seen such a - seaside resort messed up - in other South East Asian or Central American countries ??  

The beach development projects in both Pattaya and Jomtien were doomed from the outset because they decided to slaughter the old-growth forest.  Most people do not remember that 30 years ago we had huge shade trees (salt-tolerant Asian almond trees and Ironwood trees) on both beaches (very thick in some places........4-5 rows thick).  The trees were beautiful, provided shade  and mitigated beach erosion.  Cutting them down was a horrible mistake.  Now it is hard to find shade; people are forced to cluster around the few trees that are left, and the beach is eroding fast.  In place of a beautiful forests, we are now forced to look at ugly sand-filled bags.  It is beyond belief that they decided to destroy the thing that made both beaches special:  the old-growth forest.    

6 hours ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

The beach development projects in both Pattaya and Jomtien were doomed from the outset because they decided to slaughter the old-growth forest.  Most people do not remember that 30 years ago we had huge shade trees (salt-tolerant Asian almond trees and Ironwood trees) on both beaches (very thick in some places........4-5 rows thick).  The trees were beautiful, provided shade  and mitigated beach erosion.  Cutting them down was a horrible mistake.  Now it is hard to find shade; people are forced to cluster around the few trees that are left, and the beach is eroding fast.  In place of a beautiful forests, we are now forced to look at ugly sand-filled bags.  It is beyond belief that they decided to destroy the thing that made both beaches special:  the old-growth forest.    

I wish I had seen the beaches 30 years ago ....

But

Thankfully I saw them 2005-2013 when there were still a lot of trees....

I am in 100% agreement with all the posts you have made on the

subject....

Edited by fforest1

first time in Jomtiem to meet friends yesterday evening it was a dam nightmare, as a previous poster said, tractors pulling out huge speed boats across the main road  boat owners are not about to sell their boats, just because some idiot decides that they cant lauch, as reported the problem has just been moved to populated areas where people spend their leisure time.

On 2017-01-20 at 2:19 PM, KenKadz said:

So what was the real reason?

I think the lovely, inscrutable, saviours of Thailand and all round "good poeple"

AKA "The men in green"

have a regata planed for the Bali hai speedboat area, part is also a helecopter landing area.

Maybe the Hua hin ferry couldn't set sail due to the huge wake caused by all those speed boats.:tongue:

Edited by johng

On Friday, January 20, 2017 at 0:56 PM, geisha said:

Jomtien has turned into a dump. It wasn't great before, but now ....

I go by the boat area numerous times a day. Yes, it's just another dumb thing they did, with accidents waiting to happen where traffic laws don't apply to trucks with big boats attached. And of course "T.I.T." which translates to "Everything in Thailand is half ass, get used to it or go crazy. We do things half ass here, when we do anything at all, and don't expect us to think anything through. We don't consider ramifications of any of our actions AT ALL."

Police have been enforcing the ban on vendors blocking traffic, they should just make people sit on the beach instead of the sidewalk. There is plenty of open space between the lounge chair mafia people.

I know, I know, this is Thailand. Half ass is the way they do things.

I wonder if the higher ups...owners, that is, of DVaree hotel have seen this mess of boats across the street from their big expensive hotel? I can't imagine that their big selling point, beach access across the street, (being scrambled by tractors driven by crazy Thais), being something the owners like. Even if the owners are Thai, to get to the level of owning a hotel that large and expensive, usually they are the typical brain dead Thais.

Imagine you are a tourist with all that noise starting early in the morning and you having to use the crossing guard just to safely cross the street throughout the day. I wouldn't come back to that hotel. With so many choices along the beach, there's no reason to choose DVaree now when other places are quieter, safer, and less expensive.