Whistleblowers – Heroes or traitors?

webfact

For Manning the case is clear: he didn't disclose strategic secrets but war crimes. For Snowden I can't make up my mind as he did reveal the existence of military secrets, but of such obvious and undeniable interest for the public, especially the American public, that I still have a hard time considering him a traitor.

But I'm not American so it's not my place to judge, I don't really care and am just thankful that he did.

As for Assange, he isn't an American citizen but seeing how irresponsible is Wikileaks sometimes, like when releasing Turkish women records, and how he miserably failed in protecting Manning, he is neither a traitor nor a hero but quite an ass. 

Edited by Calach

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Really? In my opinion from working most of my life in public service, going through the correct channels does not work and is likely to have a negative effect on one's career prospects. Those that have never worked in public service have no idea about the way they rule by fear. To bring the bad activities of government activities to public light is usually a last resort and needs more courage than most have.

Your experience is different than mine.  Many I know who progressed quite high up the ladder, played things by the book.

I guess we know where Trump stands:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/26/politics/trump-chelsea-manning-traitor-obama/index.html

President Donald Trump called Chelsea Manning an "ungrateful TRAITOR" in an early morning tweet Thursday, the President's first public comments since the former army private and leaker had her sentence commuted by former President Barack Obama.

"Ungrateful TRAITOR Chelsea Manning, who should never have been released from prison, is now calling President Obama a weak leader. Terrible!" Trump wrote in a post.

On 20.1.2017 at 1:25 PM, craigt3365 said:

Your experience is different than mine.  Many I know who progressed quite high up the ladder, played things by the book.

yes, this works as long as nothing disturbs the picture, or as long as the questionable facts are to blame on unsanctioned actions by few individuals - things definitely change when you are asked to be a "team player".