Tabian Baan - who is the housemaster

I am American, and my wife is Thai. We live in Bangkok.  We are expecting a baby very soon.

I understand that to register the birth, we will need to provide a tabien baan.  We lease a condo, and I don’t have a tabien baan, The owner is not incommunicado and not interested in our problem.

My wife has a tabien Baan, but the address is in Roi-et.  She understands that this will create problems in the future, because the baby would be listed in Roi-et. It would be very inconvenient if we had to go there on amphur errands. 

I have been advised we could avoid this issue if a Thai friend with a local Bangkok Tabien Baan would simply agree to add the baby's name to their book for us. We have asked a few friends but nobody seems to have a local blue book. 

So, my question is, does anybody here have any advice to offer? Also, if by any chance somebody with a blue book would agree to add this for us, I am sure we could work something out as a way of returning the favor.

6 hours ago, Christopher Schutzius said:

I have been advised we could avoid this issue if a Thai friend with a local Bangkok Tabien Baan would simply agree to add the baby's name to their book for us.

Did the local district office (Khet) give your wife this advice?

11 hours ago, Christopher Schutzius said:

I am American, and my wife is Thai. We live in Bangkok.  We are expecting a baby very soon.

I understand that to register the birth, we will need to provide a tabien baan.  We lease a condo, and I don’t have a tabien baan, The owner is not incommunicado and not interested in our problem.

My wife has a tabien Baan, but the address is in Roi-et.  She understands that this will create problems in the future, because the baby would be listed in Roi-et. It would be very inconvenient if we had to go there on amphur errands. 

I have been advised we could avoid this issue if a Thai friend with a local Bangkok Tabien Baan would simply agree to add the baby's name to their book for us. We have asked a few friends but nobody seems to have a local blue book. 

So, my question is, does anybody here have any advice to offer? Also, if by any chance somebody with a blue book would agree to add this for us, I am sure we could work something out as a way of returning the favor.

You have been advised correctly.

Provinces within Thailand are not dissimilar to autonomous regions. Each province responsible for providing administration and services for the residents and tax payers of that Province alone.

The house registration system is very antiquated,

Only those who own a property can obtain a blue Tabien Baan.

All Thais must be registered

They can only be registered in one book

Renters therefore are usually registered in a family members book, which may be in a different province.

Within the province you are registered services such as hospitals and schools will provide free or subsidised services.

If your registered 'out of province' the full cost of services must be met, including child birth.

Alternatively, in Roi Et the hospital services should be free or minimal for your wife and child.

You need to find a home owner in Bangkok who will agree that your wife and child can be added to their Tabian Baan, alternatively pay full costs for services within Bangkok, or move and live in Roi Et province.

It's a system that affects the living of many thousands of Thais.

Apologies if it doesn't directly answer your question.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

21 October 2020 same as PeterW42 for Sattahip.  I was getting in it to make my life easier, but it turns it out it makes it more difficult as you have waste time at the Amphoe and Immigration. In addition to the information above you need to submit copy of owner and blue book of owner if you are renting the property plus names of witnesses with blue book of witnesses.  You need 2 witnesses.  All is then sent off for checking and after one month you called with witnesses to sign the Yellow book.  It is then issued.  That is what Amphoe Sattahip have told us.  All documents including your passport has to be translated into Thai and Notarised.  They will not accept a copy from before as I tried to get them to accept a copy of my passport given to them for birth certificate.  They said no you must get new.  It is as complex and needs similar documents to marriage certificate.  Accept marriage certificate do not need proof residency from immigration.  Its balls aching takes about 2 hours each time you go the the Amphoe and immigration.  So if you do be prepared to lose at least a couple of days of your life doing it.

true. But worth it in the long run, and you only have to do it once (unless you move)

When you go to pick it up, also get a pink ID card (available on the spot once you have the yellow tabian ban). This is even more useful.

• Like 1