Dipel is a US company brand name for B.t. (Bacillus thuringiensis, subsp. kurstaki, strain ABTS-351, ) . There are different subspecies and strains of B.t. each with specific uses for different larval pests. One is better for mosquito larvae while another may be better for specific moth caterpillars.

In a recent search for sources of organic program supply sources, I saw B.t. in every ag and garden shop that sold organic pesticides like Neem products. I did not look in mega stores like Home Pro and Global Mart. I found three shops in Chiang Mai area that carried it. The Thai staff didn''t use a Thai name but used a Thai pronunciation of Bacillus thuringiensis that I didn't recognize until I was showed the container and looked at the active ingredients.  I saw different brands and subspecies. Ask by stating your target pest. The attached photo from a shop in MaeJo CM may help in your search for sourcing. 

You should know that Bt is a bacterium that has to be injested by the worm during feeding, and is most effective at early instars of development. Later stages of larval development, feeding out and going into pupal stage that is most noticible will likely not be controlled. Monitoring for early intervention is essential for effective use of Bt, as well as getting the strain right. 

If you have experience or professional background and know how to monitor plants for pests with complete metamorphosis, adult, egg, larval and pupa stages, to get the timing right for early intervention, then Bt may be a useful tool.  I use it but in limited situations. I prefer a more preventive program with a neem based product that repels adults and interupts reproduction, then I never get the caterpillars to begin with.

20170115_135159.jpg

Thanks drtreelove. Now Iknow what to look for and yes I have some experience, studies horticulture and managed a fruit orchard and nursery in Western Australia in the ninties. Found many different practices over here but one thing that stays constant....look after the soil and the trees will look after themselves.

Archived