Households face at least 350 baht/month for garbage collection and disposal

webfact

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is going to happen the canals will be very clean come next rainy season!(sarcasm)

I believe there is already a lot of recycling going on,all of the people sifting trough the garbage taking out all that can be sold for recycling.

I always leave glass,plastic and metal things beside the bin and it is always gone before the bin gets emptied.

Garbage collection and burning or recycling is going to be more of a problem as years go by,some countries see this as one of the biggest problems for the future because they run out of space to put it all.

10 hours ago, twizzian said:

Theres plenty of places for fly tipping without being seen, especially at night.

Problem not solved.

Tell me about it, went back to Aust for 10 weeks and  when we returned our yard was knee deep in garbage, tree pruning and other assorted crap.  Had to pay 6,000 baht for someone with a truck to take it away.

3 hours ago, sambum said:

"Local authority provides 200 lt. rubbish bin."

And therein lies the problem - it is obviously a solution for your village, but when the bins are not provided by the local authority, what then?

Easy we  have a collection every Monday put black bags out by gate collected every time come rain shine or even holidays cost 500bht per house given to head man with recipt. They will also take large rubish if you ask them. Not on normal round but will return usualy at 5 pm ish take the goods and the next day head man will arrive at house with a recipt for 200Bht. Why change a good already working g system let Bangkok sort itself out. Add some money onto hotel prices for tourists as well.

12 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Easy we  have a collection every Monday put black bags out by gate collected every time come rain shine or even holidays cost 500bht per house given to head man with recipt. They will also take large rubish if you ask them. Not on normal round but will return usualy at 5 pm ish take the goods and the next day head man will arrive at house with a recipt for 200Bht. Why change a good already working g system let Bangkok sort itself out. Add some money onto hotel prices for tourists as well.

So you think that the average Thai will voluntarily spend 500 baht per household plus the 10 baht each for the black bags to have their rubbish/garbage collected once a week? Even I would balk at having to pay that amount, and you call it a good working system! Seems like a good working system for the head man to me! 

In my wifes village nobody will pay to get it collected, they either burn it at night, or they take it up the mountain at the back of the village and dump it there or lastly throw it in the river!

12 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Our 100 baht a month buys us garbage collection, street lighting and street/verge maintenance. But the garbage collection guys will only accept household waste and nothing else, anything unusual or odd, even leaves/grass trimmings incurs an additional fee. Black plastic bags of waste get thrown onto the back of a truck where the bags are ripped open and discarded, the contents sorted for what can be reclaimed and sold later and for inspection of any unauthorised waste - for an additional 300 baht a month they will take anything I put out, for me it's all good value.

But Mrs CM's family in Sukhothai are required to pay 10 baht for the truck to collect anything that is put out and they refuse to pay, as does 75% of the village, why pay when we can burn for free is the prevailing attitude. Education needed big time.

education improved by due punishment of course

1 hour ago, sambum said:

So you think that the average Thai will voluntarily spend 500 baht per household plus the 10 baht each for the black bags to have their rubbish/garbage collected once a week? Even I would balk at having to pay that amount, and you call it a good working system! Seems like a good working system for the head man to me! 

Surley you realize the 500bht is per year and where do you get the 10 bht per black bag from. Far to quick to jump on the coruptuon band wagon 

i'd simply negotiate with my neighbours to pick a designated house. the owner of that house will be the ONLY house who will pay such fee (with whom the whole neighbourhood will pitch in). then the whole neighbourhood's rubbish will be pooled there. problem solved! community in action!

20 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

OMG...get ready for some of these "Pigs"

to throw their trash into the streets to

save the B350 .... should read. MORE trash

into the  streets....

i still stick to my original suggestion,PUT IT ON THE ELECTRIC BILL. i would go as far and say them that dump it by the side of the road are the ones that have 2or 3 vehicles in their drives,wash them down every day,a few golf bags full of kit,yet ASK them to pay a small fee is like showing a red rag to a bull.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 5:18 PM, Sooo Upto Me said:

But we not in USA. This is TV forum.

Why does everyone on here keep comparing things with USA.

We Don't want to know.  ???

I can't speak for other people.  But in my post, the idea was in answer to some people that asked how the charge would be collected.  And I pointed out how it is done in one city.  They put the garbage collection right on the electric utility bill.  No ifs ands or buts about it.  I know in some places they put the charge directly on the property tax bill of the owner of the house.  Thailand certainly could do the same, assuming they maintain any sort of records

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

I can't speak for other people.  But in my post, the idea was in answer to some people that asked how the charge would be collected.  And I pointed out how it is done in one city.  They put the garbage collection right on the electric utility bill.  No ifs ands or buts about it.  I know in some places they put the charge directly on the property tax bill of the owner of the house.  Thailand certainly could do the same, assuming they maintain any sort of records

So how does it work if your not on electric then? And yes there are lots at least 7 houses in village who run of solar or no electric.

So how does it work if your not on electric then? And yes there are lots at least 7 houses in village who run of solar or no electric.

My opinion and only an opinion, if you are at the level of not using electricity then you get this service free as you are falling below a certain income level. If you are using only solar power you should also get this service free as you are not a burden on the country that needs to supply you with electric power.
Funding for those in the category above can be covered by the levy on those that use above a certain amount of power.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

In Rawai, Phuket, I pay 480 a year. It used to be 360 until about 2 years ago. The rubbish collection last year was sporadic. I was told the bin would be emptied 3 times per week. For the last few months of 2016, it rarely happened more than once. There was a time when it wasn't emptied for 2 weeks. The excuses were:

holidays

truck broke

worker sick

So far this year, the bin is being emptied twice per week, so that is enough for me. I'd hate to think what a large household does with all their rubbish.

I would OK to pay 350/month if the rubbish was collected regularly, say 3 times per week. I can't see where it says how often the rubbish is collected in the OP.

On 1/22/2017 at 4:08 PM, gk10002000 said:

In the USA municipal services such as garbage are paid for by local taxes, and such.  In Huntsville, Alabama, they charge you for garbage collection directly on your electric utility bill.  You have no option to refuse it, not pay it, etc,

uhhh, this is Thailand, a place where it is normal practice to steal electricity and cable signals. A large portion of the population does not pay the tax it should and youexpect your method to be employed?

19 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Surley you realize the 500bht is per year and where do you get the 10 bht per black bag from. Far to quick to jump on the coruptuon band wagon 

The previous posts were all quoting prices per month, so I assumed that your quote was the same - you did not say anything to make me think otherwise.

The 10 baht per bag came from an earlier Post No #5 :-

" Black plastic embossed sacks are bought from the  village store for 10 baht each and left at the main roadside for collection twice a week".

And I was not jumping on the "coruptuon" band wagon! (Don''t you mean "corruption" - if you're going to accuse somebody of something, have the decency to learn how to spell it first!) I was merely reading the facts as I saw them, and making a relevant comment on it i.e.:-

Your comment:- " put black bags out by gate collected every time come rain shine or even holidays cost 500bht per house given to head man with receipt." (No mention of time scale - so I assumed it was the same as all previous comments - i.e. monthly

My comment:- "Seems like a good working system for the head man to me!"

(Quite a reasonable comment if the cost was indeed monthly) 

However, now you have clarified the situation, 500 baht a year is indeed very reasonable for normal household rubbish/garbage. Is the charge for larger rubbish also an annual one?

Edited by sambum

15 hours ago, irwinfc said:

i'd simply negotiate with my neighbours to pick a designated house. the owner of that house will be the ONLY house who will pay such fee (with whom the whole neighbourhood will pitch in). then the whole neighbourhood's rubbish will be pooled there. problem solved! community in action!

I certainly would not the whole neighbourhood's smelly garbage outside  my front door!  

25 minutes ago, sambum said:

The previous posts were all quoting prices per month, so I assumed that your quote was the same - you did not say anything to make me think otherwise.

" Black plastic embossed sacks are bought from the  village store for 10 baht each and left at the main roadside for collection twice a week".

And I was not jumping on the "coruptuon" was merely reading the facts as I saw them, and making a relevant comment on it i.e.:-

Your comment:- " put black bags out by gate collected every time come rain shine or even holidays cost 500bht per house given to head man with receipt." (No mention of time scale - so I assumed it was the same as all previous comments - i.e. monthly

However, now you have clarified the situation, 500 baht a year is indeed very reasonable for normal household rubbish/garbage. Is the charge for larger rubbish also an annual one?

Firstly I didn't post number 5.

- "if you're going to accuse somebody of something, have the decency to learn how to spell it first!) "

I didn't accuse you, you accused yourself.

quote ""Seems like a good working system for the head man to me!" So obvious what you meant.

grammer police are not welcome here by the way.

28 minutes ago, sambum said:

And I was not jumping on the "coruptuon" was merely reading the facts as I saw them, and making a relevant comment on it i.e.:-

- "if you're going to accuse somebody of something, have the decency to learn how to spell it first!) "

quote ""Seems like a good working system for the head man to me!" So obvious what you meant.

to answer your other question no per pick up

3 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

to answer your other question no per pick up

Firstly ,I didn't say that you did post number 5 - you asked me where I got the 10 baht per black bag from, and I told you - post number 5.

Secondly, you accused me of jumping on the  "coruptuon" wagon, so I didn't accuse my self - where do you get that from?

Thirdly, it is against Forum rules to alter someone else's post. Part of my post read as follows:-

"And I was not jumping on the "coruptuon" band wagon! (Don''t you mean "corruption" - if you're going to accuse somebody of something, have the decency to learn how to spell it first!)"

You altered it to read:-

" And I was not jumping on the "coruptuon" was merely reading the facts as I saw them, and making a relevant comment on it i.e.:-"

Lastly, "Grammar Police" I am not - if I was, I could have picked many other faults with the way you wrote your post, but the word "corruption" is used so often these days that I stand by my original suggestion.

On 23/01/2017 at 7:43 AM, onthesoi said:

If fly tipping becomes a problem then raise the fines on fly tipping...duh!

What? Fly tippers being apprehended by the Royal Thai Police? These bastions of law enforcement giving up their lucrative ambushing of helmet-less motorcyclists to do so? Then (if) caught tipping,  miscreants 'fined' by that same nationally respected, publicly esteemed and socially responsible organisation?

6 hours ago, Dah fahrang said:

What? Fly tippers being apprehended by the Royal Thai Police? These bastions of law enforcement giving up their lucrative ambushing of helmet-less motorcyclists to do so? Then (if) caught tipping,  miscreants 'fined' by that same nationally respected, publicly esteemed and socially responsible organisation?

It seems you understand my cunning plan... have a gold star!

On 1/23/2017 at 5:54 AM, chiang mai said:

Rural folks in the villages wont even sign up for a ten baht a month garbage collection service so 150 baht a month doesn't stand a chance.

They will just burn it as so many already do.