Households face at least 350 baht/month for garbage collection and disposal

webfact

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/23/2017 at 4:08 AM, gk10002000 said:

In the USA municipal services such as garbage are paid for by local taxes, and such.  In Huntsville, Alabama, they charge you for garbage collection directly on your electric utility bill.  You have no option to refuse it, not pay it, etc,

Not true. Washington State charges a steep mandatory monthly fee. I used to recycle and take my own garbage to a local collection site. I had to lie to the state garbage service and say I was going on vacation for a few months and would restart service when I got back. Legalized extortion.

Paid my annual garbage pickup fee yesterday/28 Jan to the district/khet office representative that came around the moobaan collecting.  Bt240/year.  I live in Bangkok.  That garbage pickup is two times a week along with landscaping/tree cuttings you may leave next to your garbage cans.  The govt official did say next year it would probably be more.

I live in a middle to upper class moobaan where most of the home values range from around Bt5M to Bt12 million and most people are small businessmen and/or folks with good jobs here in Bangkok.  But there are quite a few homes worth way more than 12 million....probably a dozen or so worth around Bt50M....got some rich folks living here.   I can guarantee you people in my moobaan, even the really rich ones, would not pay Bt350/month which equates to Bt4,200/year---ain't going to happen.

On Monday, January 23, 2017 at 8:56 AM, lopburi3 said:

Believe the fee is 150 baht per month from what is published in Thai.  Not sure what that 200 baht fee is but suspect something other than routine household garbage.  

Yep, some posters don't read, can't read or just like making a noise . And useless incorrect headlines don't help "  ... at least 350 Bht/ month ...."

Edited by Artisi

21 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Yep, some posters don't read, can't read or just like making a noise . And useless incorrect headlines don't help "  ... at least 350 Bht/ month ...."

AS I suggested earlier, the 150 baht is for collection, and the 200 baht is probably for disposal at a functioning incinerator!

About time Thailand gets serious about waste management: current practices are a shame for what's considered an upper middle-income country.

Including the fee in the electricity bill, as noted above, would seem a smart thing to do. Apart from taking away incentives for people to dodge the tax by way of dumping, burning or filling neighbours’ bins, it would allow for easy rate differentiation. Households generating small electricity bills are mostly either low-income or one-person households. There is some fairness in presenting these a smaller garbage bill than larger or more well-to-do households. Basing rates on the real weight of the garbage collected from households is simply undoable. An issue to solve is how to avoid double-charging of households that are already paying for waste collection/disposal.

The quoted amount of 350 baht/month anyway sounds steep and in my opinion is only justifiable if implementation of the tax goes together with immediate major investments in clean and sustainable waste disposal facilities. Vague promises about how the revenues in the future will be used to improve matters won’t be enough to generate understanding and support.

Edited by leftorright

23 hours ago, quandow said:

Not true. Washington State charges a steep mandatory monthly fee. I used to recycle and take my own garbage to a local collection site. I had to lie to the state garbage service and say I was going on vacation for a few months and would restart service when I got back. Legalized extortion.

Then why do you say it is not true?  You just admitted there was a steep mandatory monthly fee, obviously with one or two exceptions that you seem to be abusing.  So your post is nonsense

Wish I could pay 350 bht p.m. for garbage collection and disposal!

The downside of living in a relatively isolated area, at the end of a soi impossible for garbage trucks to negotiate, is that garbage collection is impossible :sad:.  Which is why the couple of 'neighbours' reasonably nearby, burn all their rubbish.....

Embarrassingly, I rely on my part-time cleaner to take the rubbish away and presumably (hopefully?) dump it in someone else's bin..... :sorry:

Edited by dick dasterdly